What would you do with an extra $1,000 a month?

Btw- I answered the question, but I think basic income cant and won't work in Canada. Something that would be a lot better would be basic housing. Not discount housing, which is a thing, but the ability to rent a place regardless of history so long as you can pay.

Housing in place like Vancouver are a shit show. Toronto ain't much better.

probably only smoke shatter and wax, and not smoke flower anymore.

Instead of playing blackjack at the $50 table, I get to look like a real baller playing $100 minimums

Not sure if this was directed at me... I have a good job, savings, and looking at a pension. I don’t need it. However, rich people like you would get the 12k a year too.
I can’t imagine most people doing nothing with that small amount of money. Some would. I am thinking most would just supplement what they have.
Also, in the scenario I envision, ubi replaces welfare, sdi, food stamps, and other cash payout systems.
No it wasn't directed at you, or anyone specific, just lazy sherdoggers in general that think this is a good idea.

Here's the problem. It's all relative. So let's say I make 50k a year more than you. So I can afford to buy a BMW while you drive a Kia.

Now give us both 12k per year and guess what? I still make 50k more than you, and the car companies will adjust to the market, meaning I can still afford a BMW and you can still only afford a Kia. It didn't improve your life at all.

No it wasn't directed at you, or anyone specific, just lazy sherdoggers in general that think this is a good idea.

Here's the problem. It's all relative. So let's say I make 50k a year more than you. So I can afford to buy a BMW while you drive a Kia.

Now give us both 12k per year and guess what? I still make 50k more than you, and the car companies will adjust to the market, meaning I can still afford a BMW and you can still only afford a Kia. It didn't improve your life at all.

Inflation... yeah, that was my question. I am concerned as well. The argument goes, there is no new money put into the economy. Vat/consumption/robot taxes will pay for it. It’s an asset redistribution. All vendors still need to compete. I can’t imagine Kia and bmw colluding to price fixing. Also, with more people available to buy Kia s (more demand), there should be an increase in supply and quality at that price point.

I still need to do some research on this point.

Last edited:
I’d do some home improvements. The rest in savings.

Pay down my student loans

1k take home? If so, that’d make a huge difference in deciding what kind of house/condo to buy. Been looking for about a month or two now and the prices are quite high. I’d feel a lot better about a 3k dollar mortgage if I had an extra grand every month.
Still looking huh? Trying to avoid a condo?

Put it in the bank and then review investments at the end of the fiscal year

Says the cat! Go chase around a laser pointer!

:eek:
At least you did not call me :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: or pussy.
I have a feeling this will be a good day.

A good chunk of it into savings and I'd probably look into stocks.

The remaining hundred into dumb shit like every PPV boxing event and a shit ton more gym gear and stupid simpson shirts.

:eek:
At least you did not call me :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: or pussy.
I have a feeling this will be a good day.
Rest assured, if we were in the OT, it would have happened.

It’s not quite enough to quit your job and play video games all day. If you were poor, I bet $1,000 would come in handy. Food, shelter, and clothing... still wouldn’t be enough.

I know/have known some struggling MMA fighters that could use it. If they had health care they would probably continue fighting and just sleep on the mats.

This is a Universal Basic Income (UBI) thread. It’s been talked about in the war room a lot. I hope it’s ok to start a conversation here.

In before, “you sound poor.”

Save
Half towards unforseen expenses/emergencies/retirement

Half towards entertainment
Yearly vacations/pricier concert seats/random wants.

......pffft who the hell am i kidding, my wife would probably blow it all in a 4day-amazon/pier1/sephora shopping spree

Back