What the hell is WME doing?

I know it looks bad that all these top fighters are getting cut, but you have to keep in mind they just added a new WMMA division and plan to make another (125) so they must cut costs by any means. Why pay Bader/Circunov 50-100k when you can pay a chick 30k and achieve higher ratings.

This is beautiful...they appear to be fucking up so badly that it could end the monopoly stranglehold that the UFC has over MMA.

The more players/promotions there are, the better the pay and benefits will be for the fighters.

I'm all for WME continuing to fuck shit up.

it benefits the fighters if people watch the other orgs. if all it does is fracture the sport and the fanbase then everyone loses.

I agree that there were some good non UFC cards and Pride was awesome, but I like to see who the best is. There was a shit ton of fights that would have never happened if the leagues remained split. I'm not really a fan of individual fighters as I am the sport as a whole.

Look at how boxing is run GGG Canelo may never happen. Floyd Pac was made 4 years to late 3/4 of the ppv's are showcase fights with a shitty undercard. More orgs is better for the fighters, but shittier for the fans.

We would have never saw...

Brock Overeem
Chuck Wand
Nog Couture
Nog Sylvia
Shogun Chuck
Hendo Anderson
Cain Nog
Condit GSP
Edgar Aldo
Cormier Jones
Cormier Rumble
Mir Nog
Cowboy Diaz
Cro Cop Gonzaga
Hendo Bisping
Shogun Forest
Barnett Mir
Mark Hunt Bigfoot
JDS Overeem
GSP Diaz

And many more.

I don't agree really. Pride and Affliction both had fighters go over to the UFC and both orgs were folding on their own. Fighters jump orgs even when all those orgs were around, especially as the UFC increased their financial incentive to put their big fights together. Plus the WEC was Zuffa owned for a long time, the matchmaking between them and the UFC was inevitable. There were UFC fighters going to the WEC for fights before they even merged.

As it is, we have 1 organization with the majority of MMA talent. The matchmaking is atrocious, we don't see the champs fighting top fighters in the division (exemplified by the number of interim titles being handed out), and we consistently get skimpy cards with only a couple names per card.

I get the idea of "wanting to see who is the best". But the UFC doesn't even offer that as is. We have Bisping as a champ, whose one defense was against someone irrelevant to the top 5 at MW. He's now doing everything can to not fight the rightful #1 contender and the UFC is allowing it. We have LW tied up and another interim belt being added to the mix, while the champ there discusses fantasy boxing matches. FW JUST got some sort of resolution, and an ugly one at that as the UFC did nothing to reestablish that the champ there is the "best FW in the world" after Conor starched Aldo. In fact, the UFC hurt the situation further by essentially kicking Conor out of FW.

So, more than ever, we don't even get to know who the best is in the UFC (let alone MMA). The UFC themselves seem to not care to answer that question, either.

Lastly, it was never an issue for the other orgs to co-promote and to put on super fights. We saw Dream, SF, and Bellator lend their fighters around. Look at Overeem. We saw him fighting in K1, Dream, and SF all at once and he had an impressive schedule during that time. Only the UFC forces the exclusivity on their fighters, as the one time they tried to prove they had "the best fighters", they had their golden LHW beat up by the #2 PRIDE LHW.

Frankly, when SF, Affliction, Dream, etc were alll going, MMA was a lot better. There was competition between the orgs and everybody, including the UFC, was putting on stacked cards to provide the best product to fans.

Now that it's gone, we are left with this current situation, where PPVs like 208 are headlined by some fairly bizarre matchmaking with a created, meaningless title to draw viewership. I'll take MMA from 2006-2011 over this current shit ANY DAY.

I don't agree really. Pride and Affliction both had fighters go over to the UFC and both orgs were folding on their own. Fighters jump orgs even when all those orgs were around, especially as the UFC increased their financial incentive to put their big fights together. Plus the WEC was Zuffa owned for a long time, the matchmaking between them and the UFC was inevitable. There were UFC fighters going to the WEC for fights before they even merged.

As it is, we have 1 organization with the majority of MMA talent. The matchmaking is atrocious, we don't see the champs fighting top fighters in the division (exemplified by the number of interim titles being handed out), and we consistently get skimpy cards with only a couple names per card.

I get the idea of "wanting to see who is the best". But the UFC doesn't even offer that as is. We have Bisping as a champ, whose one defense was against someone irrelevant to the top 5 at MW. He's now doing everything can to not fight the rightful #1 contender and the UFC is allowing it. We have LW tied up and another interim belt being added to the mix, while the champ there discusses fantasy boxing matches. FW JUST got some sort of resolution, and an ugly one at that as the UFC did nothing to reestablish that the champ there is the "best FW in the world" after Conor starched Aldo. In fact, the UFC hurt the situation further by essentially kicking Conor out of FW.

So, more than ever, we don't even get to know who the best is in the UFC (let alone MMA). The UFC themselves seem to not care to answer that question, either.

Lastly, it was never an issue for the other orgs to co-promote and to put on super fights. We saw Dream, SF, and Bellator lend their fighters around. Look at Overeem. We saw him fighting in K1, Dream, and SF all at once and he had an impressive schedule during that time. Only the UFC forces the exclusivity on their fighters, as the one time they tried to prove they had "the best fighters", they had their golden LHW beat up by the #2 PRIDE LHW.

Frankly, when SF, Affliction, Dream, etc were alll going, MMA was a lot better. There was competition between the orgs and everybody, including the UFC, was putting on stacked cards to provide the best product to fans.

Now that it's gone, we are left with this current situation, were PPVs like 208 are headlined by some fairly bizarre matchmaking with a created, meaningless title to draw viewership. I'll take MMA from 2006-2011 over this current shit ANY DAY.

I don't agree with this at all. Yeah Bisping is the champ, but he got the title fight as a last minute replacement and KO'd the champ. The hendo fight didn't make sense, but it was Dan's last fight, he was coming of a win against Hector Lombard, and they had some history. This shit doesn't happen all of the time.

90% of the time the UFC put on the best possible title fights. Look at Fedor when he was with Affliction, Pride, and Strikeforce. He was fighting guys like Matt Lindland and Pro Wrestlers with 0-1 records.

The UFC will have the occasional Conor Diaz 2 or Hendo Bisping 2, but the champions are always fighting opponents in the top 10.

Do you follow boxing? Because if the talent splits that's what mma is going to turn into. I still like boxing, but if they could take a page out of the UFC's bussiness model it would be a better sport.

If they continue to let the good fighters walk, and just keep pumping out trash fighters and wmma, their ratings will continue to suffer imo (208 was a trash ppv and buys showed it). Casuals are dumb, but most aren't gonna shell out $60 to see the cheap fighters fight unless they are attractive.

WME is alienating their hardcore fanbase.

I don't agree with this at all. Yeah Bisping is the champ, but he got the title fight as a last minute replacement and KO'd the champ. The hendo fight didn't make sense, but it was Dan's last fight, he was coming of a win against Hector Lombard, and they had some history. This shit doesn't happen all of the time.

Bisping is being discussed as an opponent for GSP's return. It might happen again. Bisping won the title in a legitimate way, everything since then has been the UFC trying to milk a dollar.

And that shit doesn't happen all the time? Look at LW right now. Look at how FW has played out. That's just now. If I go through each of the divisions over the last 4 years, $$$ has beat out legitimacy more than a few times. It's worse than ever, currently.

90% of the time the UFC put on the best possible title fights. Look at Fedor when he was with Affliction, Pride, and Strikeforce. He was fighting guys like Matt Lindland and Pro Wrestlers with 0-1 records.

Sure, but your Fedor example is horrible. You're now comparing the present UFC to the past 13 years of MMA, which is in no way a fair comparison.

While Fedor was in PRIDE, PRIDE had the best HWs. The UFC's HW roster then was laughably shallow. In no way would Fedor have been better off in the UFC during that period of time.

Not sure why you mention Affliction or SF. Which fights in either of those orgs were bad? He fought ranked HWs in each one of his fights in those orgs, minus his Hendo fight. So, 1 out of 6 fights, and even then it's against Hendo, someone who had a fairly impressive (albeit short) list of fights at HW going into it.

He didn't fight Lindland in any of the orgs you mentioned in your example. So, why link Lindland to any of those orgs? Maybe you're not intentionally trying to be dishonest, but you are with this comment. At this time of MMA as well, it's debatable whether the UFC would have been a better spot for Fedor anyways. Look at who Nog was fighting, for an idea. People that Fedor already either beat the piss out of, or was about to beat the piss out of (Sylvia). So I call bullshit here as well.

The UFC will have the occasional Conor Diaz 2 or Hendo Bisping 2, but the champions are always fighting opponents in the top 10.

Sure, most of the time. The point is to show that as the UFC's competition has gone away, they've made less of a point sticking to this. Matchmaking is at its worst right now in terms of legitimacy.

Do you follow boxing? Because if the talent splits that's what mma is going to turn into. I still like boxing, but if they could take a page out of the UFC's bussiness model it would be a better sport.

I follow boxing. Not as religiously as some. Boxing for the most part made big fights happen for a very long time. Lately, they suffer from a lack of talent as much as any combat sport. I mean, look at the HW boxers right now.

I don't even like the boxing example. It's different than multiple organizations competing with each other. It's individuals and their management coming to terms to orchestrate an event.

As mentioned, cross division fights has only ever been an issue for the UFC. And that's because they got salty after Rampage literally made Chuck squeal in PRIDE, after claiming the UFC had the best fighters.

So I don't agree at all. MMA had better cards between 2006-2011, largely because you had multiple orgs with talent all looking to put on good cards.

Since that competition went away, the UFC has put on weaker and weaker cards. This has devolved into the mess they have now, where the "best fighters" don't even need to prove they are the best. I want to see McGregor fight Khabib or Ferguson. The UFC couldn't make that happen, so they made yet another crappy interim title. Who knows when Conor will fight either one of those two. We're still months away from knowing who the best LW in the world is and thus far, the UFC has given two shits to answer that question.

Last edited:
they can't pay salaries and make interest payments at the same time

Fertittas sold them a POISON PILL and will swoop in to buy in PENNIES On the dollar when they are BROKE

this is chess, this ain't checkers

They have to cut costs and cut fighters making more than they feel they're worth or else the real needle movers and draws like Conor don't get paid what they're worth. Do people think money just appears out of nowhere? I applaud what they're doing. Trimming down the number of cards will result in more stacked cards and not watered down cards. Getting rid of over priced veteran fighters who aren't draws or realistically in the title picture is good for fighters that are.

When did you start watching MMA? It sucked having all of the top talent spread across Pride, UFC, Strikeforce, WEC, IFL, etc... Look at the state of boxing. Do you really want MMA to end up like that? Having one major company is better for the fans.

It sucked for the fans but it was better for the competitors and the sport. Absorbing all of the other major promotions and putting on smaller FS 1 cards every weekend effectively killing regional promotions, ultimately hurt the sport. I think WME realizes the benefit of healthy competition.

When did you start watching MMA? It sucked having all of the top talent spread across Pride, UFC, Strikeforce, WEC, IFL, etc... Look at the state of boxing. Do you really want MMA to end up like that? Having one major company is better for the fans.

why have it when they dont even give it to us? i'd rather have them spread out. its better than having all of them their and still not fighting.

and the best answer to your question......

Competition creats Controversy, and controversy creates CASH!!!

If they wanna cut corners and save money. Abolish USADA. Then we can go back to a better time. Vitor Belfort next MW champ

That attitude is what is going to sink the UFC.

MMA is the lowest paying profession for athletes, and the new owners of the biggest profession want to pay them even less.

Ten years ago, I would proudly have encouraged an athletic teenager to get into MMA. Now, I'd suggest about any other sport.

It's just my theory really. I think you're right though I also think the new owners will adjust sooner or later. Probably later. They'll let business fall to a certain level and then they'll make adjustments. I bet their biggest concern now is to start recouping some of that big old investment. At least show a good quarter anyway.

It's just my theory really. I think you're right though I also think the new owners will adjust sooner or later. Probably later. They'll let business fall to a certain level and then they'll make adjustments. I bet their biggest concern now is to start recouping some of that big old investment. At least show a good quarter anyway.

I'm reminded of a comment Rogan said on his podcast, that someone high up in MWE before UFC206 said Rousey was going to whip Nunes.

Think about that.

Practically everyone familar with both fighters recent performances knew that wasn't going to happen.

I'm reminded of a comment Rogan said on his podcast, that someone high up in MWE before UFC206 said Rousey was going to whip Nunes.

Think about that.

Practically everyone familar with both fighters recent performances knew that wasn't going to happen.

wishful thinking at it's finest.

Whats the point of having all the fighters in one place when the champions are ducking the top contenders?

Whats the point of having all the fighters in one place when the champions are ducking the top contenders?

This really isn't a true statement. Yes there have been exceptions, but in the end everyone is fighting who they should.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk- Has been fighting nothing but top contenders and is fighting #2 ranked Angela Andrade

Amanda Nunes- is set to fight Valentina Shevchenko who is currently ranked #2

Germaine de Randamie- is going to be facing Cyborg

Mighty Mouse- Cleaned out his division

Cody Garbrandt- Is either going to fight #2 ranked Domminck Cruz or #3 rand T.J. Dilishaw

Jose Aldo- Is going to fight #2 ranked Max Holloway

Conor McGregor is going to do what ever the hell he wants, but he's the biggest draw in Combat sports right now.

Tyron Woodley- is re-matching #2 ranked Wonderboy

Micheal Bisping- is either fighting GSP or #2 Yoel Romero

Daniel Cormier- is fighting #2 ranked Anthony Johnson

Stipe Miocic- is going to fight #5 ranked JDS, but he just beat #2 ranked Werdum and #4 ranked Reem, and #3 Cain Valasquez is injured.

So we have Conor that is more than likely fighting the winner of Kahbib and Ferguson and Bisping who may fight arguably the goat GSP, but more than likely is fighting #2 Yoel Romero.

This really isn't a true statement. Yes there have been exceptions, but in the end everyone is fighting who they should.
But But i like to complain. UFC is dying bro, WME is tarnishing the great sport of MMA.

I'm thinking what WME IMG is doing is cutting #15 to #30 guys (and more expensive, higher rated, non marketable gate keepers) and sending them to the minor leagues... Only the top 12 guys, give or take, will be in the UFC and they will pull from the minor leagues with small fight contracts.

So they're keeping the steak and selling the ground beef. A more streamlined organization?

I can't believe they just cut Nikita Krylov.. dude was such a fun fighter and LHW needs younger guys badly. sad

It didn't suck at all. It led to better cards from all of those organizations.

People cry about matchmaking and fights not happening just as much now as they did then. The UFC's current matchmaking is awful, and we're seeing top fighters fight less than ever. Look at Jacare. In SF we saw him fight regularly. In the UFC, far less and against weaker competition usually. Worse yet, the UFC is so slow with matchmaking their top fighters that we see top fighters sit on the shelf for months at a time with no fight lined up.

MMA was better with multiple orgs. They have to actually compete with each other then to put on good cards.

I personally didnt like it at all having Pride and UFC and the best fighters split cause you never saw them fight. I didnt even realize it till the Pride guys moved over how much better it was. When SF had a HW division to match it started to get a bit annoying again, thats just my preference. I still watch the other orgs but prefer the best guys to be in one.

BTW, your Jacare example is false. Jacare has an equal amount of fights in the UFC as he did in SF. In the UFC he's had 8 fights so far in 3 years 9 months. In SF he had 8 fights in 3 years and 3 months. He's fought regularly in the UFC every 3-7 months and he's fighting top fighters......he had a fight scheduled for Nov but Rockhold got injured.

Furthermore, injuries aside the UFC always keeps their to fighter active just as much as any other organization.

Back