What Should I Expect From Kyokushin Training?

Here are list of Kyokushin offshoots(from what I know)
1. Seidokaikan - founder of k-1
2. Ashihara
3. Enshin
4. Shidokan
5. Oyama Karate
6. Kudo(Daido-Juku)
7. Yamaki Karate

Oyama Karate-ka and proud. :icon_chee

have any of you guys heard about enshin karate Enshin Karate Honbu
it looks like they are a kyokushin of shoot and they emphasize kumite or something similar Sabaki Challenge
i have been watching some instructionals on kyokushin and have bveen very intrested because it seems like kyokushin would be a great addition to my kickboxing practice to help develop overall skills in basics and cardio and toughness etc..
do you guys think this would be a good place to check out?

It would certainly be worth a go,their fighting is broadly similiar to Kyokushin with regards to strikes but they allow holding,grabbing and throwing that would earn you a warning at Kyokushinkai tournament,the matted area they fight on is circular rather than square but the area is about the same
I have attended weekend seminars held by Enshin in the UK and enjoyed them a great deal they seem like good blokes and their founder Joko Ninomiya an impressive teacher .

Holy crap! I almost passed out in training tonight and I'll be walking with a limp tomorrow! I got back from training about an hour ago and my legs are already showing black and blue bruises!

Ah the joys of Kyokushin!

Osu!

Holy crap! I almost passed out in training tonight and I'll be walking with a limp tomorrow! I got back from training about an hour ago and my legs are already showing black and blue bruises!

The famous "kyokushin walk"!

The famous "kyokushin walk"!

That's definitely how I'm walking today! But it's only obvious when I'm trying to go down a flight of stairs! LOL!

My upper thigh is black this morning . . . and that's from holding pads for my Sempai! LOL!

great experience, keep posting your updates. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It is pathetic how much the people know here about martial arts when ever i heard on this forums like spinning back kick doesn't work those fancy stuffs don't do damage or shitting about all karate styles exept kyokushin makes me sick but they don't know that shotokan used to be full contact.

It is pathetic how much the people know here about martial arts when ever i heard on this forums like spinning back kick doesn't work those fancy stuffs don't do damage or shitting about all karate styles exept kyokushin makes me sick but they don't know that shotokan used to be full contact.

shotokan was always and always will be a point scoring system

I'm a 1st dan in KK, it was fun, but after discovering Muay Thai, kyokushin just feels like an underdeveloped, unrefined version of Thai boxing.

Yeah i said it.

I went to my Kyokushinm traning for the first time and it was kinda boring. No sparring, not a lot of bag work. He said it would get better next week though so i will look forward to it.
I am also thinking about starting Shotokan. What is that like?

I went to my Kyokushinm traning for the first time and it was kinda boring. No sparring, not a lot of bag work.

What? No free sparring or heavy duty bagwork on your first day of training?
How shocking! You would think that they would have people do that kind of stuff long before basic endurance training and learning atleast a few basic techniques.

I mean, if it is good enough for me as a experienced kyokushin practitioner to regularly do light free sparing as warmup, heavy free sparing at the end of each class and do bagwork after class, it should be equaly good enough for a newbie with no experience or skill to do the same? Right?

How shocking! You would think that they would have people do that kind of stuff long before basic endurance training and learning atleast a few basic techniques.

I mean, if it is good enough for me as a experienced kyokushin practitioner to regularly do light free sparing as warmup, heavy free sparing at the end of each class and do bagwork after class, it should be equaly good enough for a newbie with no experience or skill to do the same? Right?

lol well said.

I'm absolutely gutted that I can't find any Daido Juku to train. I have a long Muay Thai background and am interested in trying something new for fun. Kyokushin is 2nd on my list if I can't find any Kudo. I hear it's fairly impossible to find Kudo anywhere in North America.

Good for you,but im intrested to hear in what way does Kyokushin feel under developed or unrefined to you? .

I've never tried the style, and I intend no disrespect, but when I've watched Kyokushin guys fight I've not seen much lateral movement or footwork.

They've been fast, strong and tough, but they've been very much straight-line fighters.

I hope your just as experienced as me in karate for you to use that heavy dose of sarcasm lol.
I have been doing Karate for 5 years now! I wanted to try Kyokushin style. From what i have read so far you guys seemed to of implied that sparring was as natural as stretching in the class. There was NO sparring in the class not just for me but Everyone.
Side note: Has anyone here done Shotokan? What is it like, how is it different from Kyokushin?

I've never tried the style, and I intend no disrespect, but when I've watched Kyokushin guys fight I've not seen much lateral movement or footwork.

They've been fast, strong and tough, but they've been very much straight-line fighters.

If you look at the rules and scoring of their style of fighting, lateral movement isn't really needed, especially if you're blasting away to someone's midsection.

I hope your just as experienced as me in karate for you to use that heavy dose of sarcasm lol.
I have been doing Karate for 5 years now! I wanted to try Kyokushin style. From what i have read so far you guys seemed to of implied that sparring was as natural as stretching in the class. There was NO sparring in the class not just for me but Everyone.
Side note: Has anyone here done Shotokan? What is it like, how is it different from Kyokushin?

So what sort of karate are you taking? No sparring? Surprising...

I'm a 1st dan in KK, it was fun, but after discovering Muay Thai, kyokushin just feels like an underdeveloped, unrefined version of Thai boxing.

Yeah i said it.

Is this a bluff? Ive known you for being a MT nuthugger since the beginning. are you kidding around this time

Back