What Should I Expect From Kyokushin Training?

Osu,

I set up a threat about this, but I figure you guys may be good to ask. I am moving to albany ny and want to continue practicing kyokushin karate or an offshoot (knockdown karate). I've done some searching on Google and really haven't found too much. There is the Kesshin Kai, which appears to be an offshoot... and no longer running. Anyways, if any of you guys could give any advice I'd really appreciate it.

P.S.- I totally don't mean to derail this thread, and you can post in the thread I created to avoid gumming this one up :redface:

Aw, too bad. Hope the honbu would reach out in northern America but the problem I see that Mcdojo Kudo will rise which I dont want to happen.

It is very sad that martial arts have become very watered down now in the States just to please the Soccer Moms. They cry and sue over the dumbest shit now.

I wouldn't mind if a Daido Juku/ Kudo gym opened up here in Ireland though.

if you don't have a daido juku dojo near you why don't you join an mma gym?

I am in an MMA gym. Plus I do Oyama Karate [Kyokushin offshoot] Kickboxing and Judo. Its just that I would like to see what the Daido Juku training is like.

I know this seems like the logical solution, but training something similar compared to the actually thing is actually a lot different (for me atleast). I want the experience of the kudo training with the budo vibe to it, plus the gi and neo helmets.

Get ready to sparr....alot, Also i'd start streching now if i was you

stretching now and lot of running, fast and hard. Very tiring, but good painful fun.
Kyokushin/Enshin plus judo or BJJ would be a good mix.

stretching now and lot of running, fast and hard. Very tiring, but good painful fun.
Kyokushin/Enshin plus judo or BJJ would be a good mix.

I'm pretty sure he knows what to expect from the dojo by now. I'm pretty sure he has known for two years.

I'm pretty sure he knows what to expect from the dojo by now. I'm pretty sure he has known for two years.

I need remind myself of that...go running, but instead I go surfing.
Ok, though, when I get tired, I practice getting hit and keep standing (or get back up).

Last edited:
Yep.

But that's okay. The credibility of this forum was becoming a little too sterling for my taste. We could use a few more trolls or, barring that, multiple incarnations of the greatest troll to have ever lived.

He might be tied with stinkycheeks and lesitchpack from the grappling forum, actually.

What you can expect ( granted the instructor is good )

- Hardcore conditionning

- Mental toughness improve

- Learning to kick in a very powerful way ( I still have to find a style that forms harder kickers on one kick ) and a very good varitey of kicks

- Getting an iron core : when I was boxing I was so used to the bare knuckle bodyshots that I almost never bored myself to defend those kind of attacks with gloves, giving me a much better head defense as I was focusing 100% on it

The cons :

- You can get too static, less mobile and flat footed if you don't make the effort to be elusive and light footed when moving as this style is really "anchored" in the ground ( which is the way the generate so much kicking power )

All in all this is a very good school, prior to learning boxing/MT because it gives you that unique " kyokushin spirit " , toughens you both physically and mentally and learns you the best kicking style when it comes to technique+power

Yep.

But that's okay. The credibility of this forum was becoming a little too sterling for my taste. We could use a few more trolls or, barring that, multiple incarnations of the greatest troll to have ever lived.

He might be tied with stinkycheeks and lesitchpack from the grappling forum, actually.
Let's not be bad mouthing stinkycheeks fellas.
The Hairy Hunk

To get tough as hell but not to learn much applicable strategy.

...Not to learn much applicable strategy........say whatttt????

There is a lot of applicable strategy involved in Kyokushin & its sport format knockdown karate....I don't mean this in a rude way maybe it's because you don't practise it, so when you watch videos on youtube, you don't see it. Knockdown is a very subtle sport - many guys don't realise how subtle blocks, strategies and tactics are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back