What Should I Expect From Kyokushin Training?

I've never tried the style, and I intend no disrespect, but when I've watched Kyokushin guys fight I've not seen much lateral movement or footwork.

They've been fast, strong and tough, but they've been very much straight-line fighters.

It depends on the fighter some like Michael Thompson were rightly famed for their foot work,but your right there is a general tendency to go balls out in order blast your opponent away as quick as you can as in a tournament format a long protracted struggle is in neither fighters interest .

Is this a bluff? Ive known you for being a MT nuthugger since the beginning. are you kidding around this time

Hey DJ, do you have any knowledge if there are any places to train Kudo in Canada? or any future opportunities too?

So what sort of karate are you taking? No sparring? Surprising...

Ofcourse your supposed to spar. How else would you know if what your learning is practical? Sparring is a regular part of all classes anyway. I spoke to my trainer today he told me that full contact sparring is on Mondays so should be good.

Kyokushin stances are longer than the normal stance. Legs start to kill after a while. I need to get used to that lol.

"Originally Posted by db03892
I went to my Kyokushinm traning for the first time and it was kinda boring. No sparring, not a lot of bag work."

Ofcourse your supposed to spar. How else would you know if what your learning is practical? Sparring is a regular part of all classes anyway. I spoke to my trainer today he told me that full contact sparring is on Mondays so should be good.

You said it yourself, now you're saying otherwise, duh!

You said it yourself, now you're saying otherwise, duh!

I am not explaining myself again your obviously an idiot. I bet you don't even train in kyokushin. I said they do the pad and sparring work on a seperate day. Duhh!

I am not explaining myself again your obviously an idiot. I bet you don't even train in kyokushin. I said they do the pad and sparring work on a seperate day. Duhh!
you're right, I don't train in KK, but seeing as you typed, you're more of an idiot who obviously can't spell right!

It's separate, not seperate,
I'ts "you're obviously", not "your obviously"

:icon_twis

Kyokushin stances are longer than the normal stance. Legs start to kill after a while. I need to get used to that lol.

thats basic stance, it helps in building form and muscles in legs. Kihon and Kumite stance are different though.

And if you are a beginner try to be patient, it takes a while before having sparring. You need to have good fighting stance and know the basic Kihon drills. Also dont rush things sometimes rushing leads to injury. I better be prepared than having sparring to higher belts.

Hey DJ, do you have any knowledge if there are any places to train Kudo in Canada? or any future opportunities too?

I dont really know about international branches, and perhaps there is still no Kudo in Canada, but if you really persistent, the nearest is in New York. Anyway there is Kyokushin in Montreal. You can try it

DJ,

Yes i'm a first dan under shihan bobby lowe. Now i am training boxing/kickboxing under Harumi Shimanishi (also a karate and Judo fan) and Muay Thai under a couple fairtex guys from San fran.

I dont really know about international branches, and perhaps there is still no Kudo in Canada, but if you really persistent, the nearest is in New York. Anyway there is Kyokushin in Montreal. You can try it

There's Kudo in NY outside of that one-off seminar they did in 2006?

thats basic stance, it helps in building form and muscles in legs. Kihon and Kumite stance are different though.

And if you are a beginner try to be patient, it takes a while before having sparring. You need to have good fighting stance and know the basic Kihon drills. Also dont rush things sometimes rushing leads to injury. I better be prepared than having sparring to higher belts.

Ya I know of the Kudo in NY but that is a little out of reach right now for me. I currently train Muay Thai (close to six years now) but am looking to try something else just to broaden my martial arts knowledge. Kyokushin is my 2nd choice to Daido Juku, my only concern is the Kata work as i'm more interested in the combat techniques than the Kata as I feel like I could spend my time better like doing pad work, sparring etc (no offense to guys who enjoy Kata).

Ya I know of the Kudo in NY but that is a little out of reach right now for me. I currently train Muay Thai (close to six years now) but am looking to try something else just to broaden my martial arts knowledge. Kyokushin is my 2nd choice to Daido Juku, my only concern is the Kata work as i'm more interested in the combat techniques than the Kata as I feel like I could spend my time better like doing pad work, sparring etc (no offense to guys who enjoy Kata).

During my seidokaikan and Kyokushin days, Kata was only taught to us during near promotion. I feel bored during Kata but sometimes people dont realize that if you have a perfect form of Kata it helps lower body muscles and forms but yeah we have the same set of minds I dont like kata but I still believe that is has benefits.

Also keep remember that Kyokushin is still a TMA, also I consider Muay thai is a TMA because of its long tradition and history and perhaps I can say that KATA is like the wai kru of Muay Thai. Some people dont practice wai kru but what they dont know is that it provides flexibility and helps relax muscles.

DJ,

Yes i'm a first dan under shihan bobby lowe. Now i am training boxing/kickboxing under Harumi Shimanishi (also a karate and Judo fan) and Muay Thai under a couple fairtex guys from San fran.

Ok, but still I dont believe you, I always remember you a MT nuthugger and a MT practitioner(peace:icon_chee). I dont criticize your credibility, especially you had trained under Shihan Bobby lowe who experience training with Oyama.

I just remembered that during the past times in Kickboxing forum you ask questions about Kyokushin fighting formats and systems. Then suddenly you claim that you are a KK 1st dan.

PS: Dont worry dude I still love you! :D

I went to my Kyokushinm traning for the first time and it was kinda boring. No sparring, not a lot of bag work. He said it would get better next week though so i will look forward to it.
I am also thinking about starting Shotokan. What is that like?

New students never spar right away. They want you to develop your basics and conditioning first.

Ok, but still I dont believe you, I always remember you a MT nuthugger and a MT practitioner(peace:icon_chee). I dont criticize your credibility, especially you had trained under Shihan Bobby lowe who experience training with Oyama.

I just remembered that during the past times in Kickboxing forum you ask questions about Kyokushin fighting formats and systems. Then suddenly you claim that you are a KK 1st dan.

PS: Dont worry dude I still love you! :D

stop stalking my posts. It's creepy.

PS: love u too babe.

So, yeah, Kudo's in New York? I heard someone mention Stony Brook University on the internets (my mom works there) but that it's a private class (which would blow).

During my seidokaikan and Kyokushin days, Kata was only taught to us during near promotion. I feel bored during Kata but sometimes people dont realize that if you have a perfect form of Kata it helps lower body muscles and forms but yeah we have the same set of minds I dont like kata but I still believe that is has benefits.

Also keep remember that Kyokushin is still a TMA, also I consider Muay thai is a TMA because of its long tradition and history and perhaps I can say that KATA is like the wai kru of Muay Thai. Some people dont practice wai kru but what they dont know is that it provides flexibility and helps relax muscles.

Very good post DJ, I understand where you are coming from and the comparison of the Wai Kru with Kata. I am so ridiculously jealous that you get to train Daido Juku! Did you find that your Kyokushin background did in fact help you when going into Daido Juku? or did it hinder you at first as the lack of punching to the face must have been hard to transition to?

Very good post DJ, I understand where you are coming from and the comparison of the Wai Kru with Kata. I am so ridiculously jealous that you get to train Daido Juku! Did you find that your Kyokushin background did in fact help you when going into Daido Juku? or did it hinder you at first as the lack of punching to the face must have been hard to transition to?

Thanks, personally it was a privilege that I am japanese and my family supports me in my training since I was a kid and until now, even though I have my own job. My brother used to train in kickboxing too, but dont compete professionally. Back to the topic when I was still training in Seidokain we train kickboxing every once a week, especially my fellow karatekas compete in K-2 and amateur kickboxing circuits here, so I dont have really hard time transitioning to Kudo especially the punches to the head also I sometimes spar with my younger brother.

Also when training Kudo the lower grades dont involve Judo newaza(grappling) and throws at all(dont know with some dojo). It was only taught to us during higher grading, basically every beginner class to mid level was basic striking skills including clinches, kihon drills, pad drills and bag routines. The higher the belt the advance techniques were teach until you reach a certain level that you can learn Judo techniques as well and unique Kudo grappling. Also Kudo kicks are basically came from Kyokushin. Well body punches(sita zuki and gedan zuki) and kyokushin kicks compliments my Kudo standup.

@yodaman: regarding the Kudo in New York. I have seen United States representatives during the Last Kudo Hokutoki (World Tournament).
NYU Stony Brook. This class is private.
regarding to who is the instructor I am not particulary familiar.

I dont know if this is still available but you may try, I just did get it from another Kyokushin Forums.

Every Saturday (5-7 pm) at Fighthouse in Manhattan
Address: Fighthouse,122W,27St.(Bet6&7Av), NY
From what I have read some of them who train there have Knockdown Karate backgrounds

I believe Fighthouse was closed down and the Daido Juku/Kudo classes are currently suspended IIRC.

I believe Fighthouse was closed down and the Daido Juku/Kudo classes are currently suspended IIRC.

Aw, too bad. Hope the honbu would reach out in northern America but the problem I see that Mcdojo Kudo will rise which I dont want to happen.

Back