What kind of a hairdo/ haircut do you posses?

high-undercut-mens-haircut.JPG

Sort of like this

Most people who cut their own hair would be completely unnoticeable unless it's messed up. How would you possibly know?

Besides the fucked up tapering and that it looks like shit?

Cutting men's hair is incredibly easy.

You can teach a chimp to grab a clipper and make hair shorter by cutting it. Knowing all the nuances on how to make it look really good is a different ball game. Why do you think barbers at decent shops have to fix haircuts for people several times a week that went to some chain like Supercuts?

If you don't want to believe me, but have never done it, then this conversation is pointless. You've never done it, so you don't know how easy it is to learn. Cutting hair on the back is easy with a large mirror and a chair. It takes a few times to get the hand/eye coordination right, but it's completely possible. Stop acting like cutting hair is the same as doing brain surgery. It's fucking hair. Watch a few YouTube videos on the style you like, then sit down and cut the shit. The end.

See, you're jumping to conclusions. I have done it and have some training since I'm good friends with someone who owns a shop. Here's a pic of a $200 Andis. I know plenty about this subject. I never said it wasn't possible but it's not easy to do well especially by yourself and if it was barber shops would not exist.

imags1.jpeg

It doesn't take a 4 year degree to be a barber for one.

It doesn't take a 4 year degree to become a carpenter, mechanic, artist, photographer, video editor, actor, hacker or President of the United States. What is your point?

Second, most barbers I know cut their own hair because it's easy once you know what to do.

They typically trade services with another in the same shop but this depends on a lot of factors.

Besides the fucked up tapering and that it looks like shit?

If it's not fucked up, you're not going to notice. I've seen people leave barber shops with worse fades than I was pulling after a few tries. I'm not special. It's haircutting, not rocket science like you keep insisting it is. Cutting hair well isn't difficult if you're doing one style unless you're mentally and physically handicapped.

You can teach a chimp to grab a clipper and make hair shorter by cutting it. Knowing all the nuances on how to make it look really good is a different ball game. Why do you think barbers at decent shops have to fix haircuts for people several times a week that went to some chain like Supercuts?

Because your hair cutter at Supercuts is high and just did fifteen other people for a day for several days straight and doesn't care enough to pay attention when they give you a $12 cut, not because a fade is this magical skill that only the elite barbers can pull off.

See, you're jumping to conclusions. I have done it and have some training since I'm good friends with someone who owns a shop. Here's a pic of a $200 Andis. I know plenty about this subject. I never said it wasn't possible but it's not easy to do well especially by yourself and if it was barber shops would not exist.
View attachment 222211

It's absolutely easy to do well if you're not a neckbeard with no hand eye coordination.

It doesn't take a 4 year degree to become a carpenter, mechanic, artist, photographer, video editor, actor, hacker or President of the United States. What is your point?

You're not going to be doing any of those in a few months, but you can be giving fades with a license. Learning a fade is like learning to hammer a nail. Sure you can fuck it up, but if you just watch what you're doing then it's hard to do it wrong.

They typically trade services with another in the same shop but this depends on a lot of factors.

Most barbers I've used seem to cut their own hair. It's a question I like to ask to get conversation going. Basic men's military style cuts and cropped cuts with clippers exist because they are easy. Unless you have some :eek::eek::eek:gy prettyboy long hair, you can do it well.

I cut my own hair. Hair cuts in NYC are expensive as hell.

I just shave it. No other way to do it. I cannot style myself.
i pay 16 for a haircut here in queens.

ive paid close to 40 for the same one in manhattan

I also cut my own hair. Faded undercut usually, but I'm growing out the top a bit more at the moment so we'll see what I do next.

While I agree that it's not rocket science to cut your own hair, you'll never get it as good as you will from a great barber. But I feel like I do a better job on my own hair than most barbers I've been to will do. I have the thickest hair that anybody has ever seen (I hear this every time I get my hair cut by somebody else), which I guess is more difficult to cut competently? I don't know. But there's only a couple of barbers that I trust with my hair, and neither of them are close by so I taught myself through youtube. The first few times I ended up rocking a hat every time I went outside. But now after a few dozen hair cuts (on average every fortnight) I think I'm doing a pretty good job. It takes well over 20 minutes though, the back is the biggest pain in the ass, even with a mirror. It takes me about 45 minutes each time.

Ivy League with a low fade to a zero. Had it since I was in the Marines in 2004. It's now trendy which is unfortunate.

I have a fashy cut. I've been wearing a fashy cut since long before they were called fashy cuts. I'm not in any way a fascist (bitch, I was a DemSoc before it was cool), it's just that the fashy cut looks really good on me.

Like this but a little longer. I usually just put it up.

20170328_nxt_nakamura--a75142cb408159b08c92a5e10d42dc67.jpg

Last edited:
Back