What is the Difference Between Sambo and Wrestling?

Dop_npHUUAAyCfa.jpg:large
If Dildo Anus would have 10 dollars he could have bought that T-Shirt. But he is poor and had to photoshop that shit.

Khabib is full of crap with sambo glorification. Is sambo even part of his training? I don't think so, so maybe Shael is right. From where Khabib is everybody train wrestling.

Sport sambo is kind of mix of judo and wrestling and combat sambo is basically MMA.

So no one has really explained it or missed the mark completely.

Sambo is NOT wrestling in the traditional sense. Nearly all wrestlers in MMA are freestyle or high school/ collegiate based.

Sambo is based on catch wrestling or folk style for its grappling with some Judo mixed in.

If Dildo Anus would have 10 dollars he could have bought that T-Shirt. But he is poor and had to photoshop that shit.
Thanks. My question seeing that picture was, did he color coordinate the clothes and gloves for this photo? Now I have a name to go with it.

sambo you have a gi top, wrestling you dont
sambo has submissions, wrestling doesnt

I took a Sambo seminar in the late 90’s from a high-ranked dude from St. Louis area. He showed us many submissions, the same submissions I would later learn through my grappling journey in life.

One student asked him how many submissions does Sambo have? He said 1,000 to black belt, and another 1,500 after that. These guys had all the nasty leg locks down before I learned them years later in Jitz classes.

Also, Sambo has richer submission game - mainly leglocks.
This is developed by spending more time in grappling, while judokas are
getting stood up quickly.

That makes judo pretty limited, aka taekwondo of grappling.

P.S. 6 years of Combat Sambo training.
Aren't chokes banned in sambo?
Talk about limited lol.
How you gonna kill a guy with an armlock?

Sambo practices techniques from wrestling - double, single, also you can roll into leglock, etc.

In competetive judo tecniques below the waist are banned, they are afraid to get dominated
by wrestlers and sambo guys at their own sports.

Also, Sambo has richer submission game - mainly leglocks.
This is developed by spending more time in grappling, while judokas are
getting stood up quickly.

That makes judo pretty limited, aka taekwondo of grappling.

P.S. 6 years of Combat Sambo training.

About the judo part: basically, submissions form old school, Kosen Judo. Which BJJ really is.

For starters, sambo is practiced in a Gi (with shorts) so there’s a lot of judo techniques involved. Top of my head, it also has strikes which wrestling doesn’t.

There’s a difference between combat and sports sambo but I’d have to check google. And I won’t.
combat sambo is the one with strikes.

Sambo is basically judo, catch and Greco influences.

Combat sambo is sambo with striking.

Wrestling (particularly folk) is a no-gi takedown and control (pin) art.

As limited as wrestling is when it comes to submissions and no striking, I’d rather be an elite wrestler because their control and takedowns are gold.

I don’t think using Khabib and Fedor as examples of Sambo superiority is a good thing as they are outliers. Also, Khabib trains with folk wrestlers at AKA so....

Combat Sambo is a good style but their competition pool pales in comparison to Collegiate wrestling.

Sport sambo --> essentially judo with wrestling takedowns. Minus chokes but plus leglocks.
Combat sambo --> essentially sport sambo plus strikes (and chokes I think).

In my experience sambo is extremely hard to find and when you do it is rather sloppy.

Is it not allowed in judo?
In any case it is very difficult to get the body lock in judo without getting thrown / stiff armed.

You can’t bodylock in Judo, at least not traditionally
Pretty much any throw that won’t let the target break fall is prohibited in sport judo.

But you can do it in BJJ if you’re a judo player
Sambo just has a slightly wider variety of throws than Greco or Judo
But lots of Sambo players play Judo too in Russia, like a shit load of them because the international pool for Judo is obviously better so meh

Compete in a Gi, strikes, submissions... Wrestling is very limited relatively speaking.

Sambo is quite similar to MMA, except you wear headgear and a Gi.

Back