What is causing Pettis's downfall?

he got exposed for his flaws, and people have continued to push and exploit them. he tends to fold under pressure, when things dont go his way espically early on it seems it goes downhill and downhill quick. he seems to be a bit of a front runner at times. not to take anything away from him, he is very talented and still has plenty of great fights left in him.

I think its money. He didn't have money before then all of a sudden he's rich and that kills ambition.

He rarely would get hit but now everybody is touching him up. It sucks to see
I think it's this too. he seems to have lost that killer instinct and fight wayyyy more timid. alot of people are saying he's been passed up by the new breed but I think his skills are still at anight elite level but his head isn't.

Holloway is the number 2 guy at featherweight. Elite cagefighter. Thats why he lost.

Boxing, confidence and a bit of weaker grappling strength and tdd against wrestlers. Plus, Holloway just is in the zone right now.

Take down defense was his downfall at 155, but hopefully he will figure it out. Him and Joe Duffy would be a great fight.

He had a lot of injuries that piled up and then had the war with RDA. His body doesn't look like it has the spring anymore and he no longer has supreme confidence mentally. So now all the other flaws in his game are coming to the forefront.

He should rely more on his slick submissions.

Cumulative effect of having his hair cut and eyebrows trimmed four times a week.

That shit takes more of a toll on the body than you realize.

Wait actually I'm gonna have to go with this instead.

Beat Benson to become champ via sub - impressive
Beat Gil as champ via sub - impressive
Lost to RDA (who became champ) via decision - impressive considering he got his orbital bone broken in round 1.
Lost to Alvarez (who became champ) via decision - Alvarez stuck to his gameplan and fought smart but Pettis was giving him the business standing. Nothing to be ashamed about.
Lost to Barboza - Barboza looked impressive but played right into his plan. Gotta pressure him but this loss is nothing to be ashamed about.
Beat Da Bronx - looked horrible doing it. Was about to lose a decision.
Lost to Holloway - haven't seen it yet but Max is a monster. So as long as he didn't fold like a patio chair he's fine.

Sherdog that is an example of facing a "murderer's row."

He just seems like a worn down fighter overall. Doesnt have the same confidence and his athleticism seems to have also diminished, hes also been fighting really solid guys.

Basically just worn out , he needs to take a long break like 2 years and then come back.

The 90% mental half of the fight game, has been fighting too many elite fighters for his current slump, he's the biggest fight to date against anybody he fights - so they bring their A game and he is someone who can really be gameplanned for, maybe injuries impacted his body and possibly his mind as well. He needs to build new strengths for himself, and maybe facing top fighters every few mknths isn't the ideal way to do that. Maybe he doesn't even realize thst he needs to improve certain skillsets.

Seriously?

What happen to the fire this man had? In his recent fights he's looking more like a shell of his former self. I'm a fan and i like Max too but fuck man this is depressing. Is it his camp? Body wearing down or what?

He broke his heart a while back during a fight, it doesn't work when facing adversity anymore.

From my own experience as a former fighter, in my humble opinion, I think he needs to change his lifestyle and hire a sports psychologist. Change camps and start from scratch.

Seems like game passed him by. MMA continued to evolve and he end up being stuck in the past.

Also looks like people have good reads on him kicks now. His boxing or power was never that good. He either has to work on his boxing or change his approach.

As a Pettis fan I really don't know what he can change. Like Bendo, Pettis is the fighter of some old times. New kids coming up, doing it better and evolving much quicker.

In all seriousness Post USADA Pettis looked soft. So USADA

155er's figured him out.

Confidence issues by moving down to 145. He hired Jon Jones' wrestling coach but goes to 145 to fight guys on his feet again. That didn't make sense. He should have gave it another crack at 155 and re-build his confidence in the division with a W. He chose to run from the division and gets finished by a supposed "easier" opponent. He's digging his own grave now.

Last edited:
Back