What happened to the new breeds of heavyweights?

That's not too farfetched thing to say, I wouldn't put Mir up there though, he gets ktfo too much, and guys hit hard and is bigger now, I'd put in Aleks instead.

Yes it is.
Mir?
AA?
Sylvia?
Couture?

Tell me how any of them beat JDS in any realm...

And prime Werdum? Wasn't that the guy who got flattened by Stipe? Or the guy JDS already killed along with mir? He is prime and is great but to say he and the guys I highlighted would steamroll JDS, Cain or Stipe is hilariously bullshit.

New breed was for promoting Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. They started to promote Todd Duffy with it too but he got Ko'd.

And Ubereem. And I think possibly more.

Then USADA happened, and all three pissed hot I think with an exception of Todd Duffy.

Yes it is.
Mir?
AA?
Sylvia?

Tell me how any of them beat JDS in any realm...

And prime Werdum? Wasn't that the guy who got flattened by Stipe? He is prime and is great but to say he and the guys I highlighted would steamroll JDS, Cain or Stipe is hilariously bullshit.

I can see AA and Sylvia beating JDS prime for prime. AA hits harder than JDS, look at nelson. And Tim Sylvia is underated as fuck. I really think prime AA and Sylvia matches up very well against Stipe too.

Well, some of them wouldn't steamroll some of the others for sure.

I can see AA and Sylvia beating JDS prime for prime. AA hits harder than JDS, look at nelson. And Tim Sylvia is underated as fuck. I really think prime AA and Sylvia matches up very well against Stipe too.

Well, some of them wouldn't steamroll some of the others for sure.

They hit equally hard. I could show you JDS KOing Werdum and AA couldnt...

And their chins are on different planets. AA gets knocked out by a breeze in his prime. JDS can take insane punishment. AA and Sylvia would get utterly trounced by prime JDS. You must forget they were champions of a 2nd rate division. Pride had the better HWs. AA and Sylvia were never number 1 in the world. JDS was.

Agree, they are in the NFL getting paid and probably working slightly less hard day to day. Only slightly though, thats not a knock on the NFL roster, but its also apples and oranges, they're not training hand to hand violence 40+ hours a week

Not to mention guys like Jones, Anthony Johnson (current size), DC, Gus would have all likely been heavies like 12 years ago and not cut to LHW.

WE are left with Lewises and Brownes, and Stipe at the top of the food chain.

People shit on Fedor's opponents after PRIDE, but HMC would push Lewis's shit into another dimension. And Brett Rogers and Lewis would be a toss up fight if it happened before Barnett, Overeem, Fedor stole his soul, and when he was undefeated. Talking about getting fed to the wolves, lol.

And btw, before people start ripping on HMC, HMC actually had a tumor removed from his head, then declined the testoerone therapy, that was recommended for a year or so, then started looking like he got cancer, lost lots of muscle mass and then started getting ktfo at Bop Sapp level. HMC who fought Fedor was BEFORE all that went down, and who took Fedor down with Ssirm techniques. TWICE. Only fighter in Fedor's career who took him down from the clinch. Ever. ( And as you know I think Fedor is the GOAT)

I always thought it was as hilarious as Rousey hype when people pretended that MMA was some internet technology and people just started magically getting better over the span of a decade or something.

New breed ain't bad. Stipe wins over 95% of HWs at any era. Browne is talented enough but obviously something is missing lately. Lewis looks like he shouldn't win then he pulls something out, that would happen against the old breed fighters too. Lewis KOs HMC in a round.

And Duffee lost 40 lbs of mass and is constantly injured or ill.

He actually has some sort of horrible degenerative nerve disorder, or something along that line, which is the primary reason he lost so much time.

Not a fan, in any case. Also not a fan of this "new breed" fallacy.

No he woudont. He got his ass beat by minowman. NOPE

YEs after he got his brain tumor removed, refused trt recommended for a year or so, then lost huge muscle mass, then that happened. Ass beat?

Someone did NOT watch that fight lol

Lewis would get shreded.

You're talking about one division, and a division that has historically been fairly shallow, and technically poor. The premier weight classes have seen that evolution; although, I think some of the grappling in MMA is getting weaker as fighters seek the quick win, and big payday.

Here's the reality: Big guys don't tend make great technical fighters. They rely too much on size, and strength in a division that can get carnival like with the size differences. Even the most skilled HW's often tend to be awkward, with poor gas tanks. It's the smaller HW's that tend to do better.

Fedor was an undersized HW, and it actually benefited him in what is a clumsy division. It's not easy to carry size, and create such high output while dealing with the unpredictability of a fight, and guys that hit hard.

It's not terrible right now, but don't ever expect it to be a murderers row like the lower weight classes.

185, 170, 155, 145 will always be the premier weight classes for MMA because they contain the more reasonably sized fighters.

Last edited:
It was just a BS myth perpetuated by Zuffa/Rogan. Trying to get fans to shoot out their loads whenever Carwin/Brock were on.

HW gets shit on a lot but given the limited options I think the UFC did alright by signing guys like Alexander Volkov, Bilyal Makhov, Francis Ngannou, Ruslan Magomedov, Derek Lewis & Curtis Blaydes to the aging HW division.

Last edited:
Back