Crime What did the cops do wrong today Megathread Vol. 6 ? (who knows, lots of cop threads)

This is an insane level of incompetence. This deputy mistook the sound of an acorn falling on his vehicle for a gunshot and then unloaded his clip at the suspect that he had in custody, who was handcuffed in the back of the cruiser.

This prompted the supervisor on scene to discharge his weapon as well.

Miraculously, the guy who was arrested was not injured.

Unsurprisingly, the guy from the backseat of the cruiser who was shot at decided to sue after all the charges against him were dropped.

He and his attorneys are saying that the department didn't release all of the bodycam footage.

They claim that the omitted parts show the deputies shooting out the windows of the cruiser with beanbag rounds to look in the back seat instead of just opening the door because they were still concerned that he had a gun. The beanbag use was confirmed by the sheriff.

Bus driver has the nerve to beep at a Cop, Cop Copsplains the entire thing as if the bus driver is in grave violation of something...cannot name the statute. Cop threatens to arrest the driver then says he never threatened to arrest the driver (passengers laugh):

While I think we all agree that cops need more and better training. I hope we all agree this is not fucking it...

I've made numerous posts about how sh*tty Police training is. From this "Warrior" nonsense where they're taught to look at citizens like tentative enemy combatants, to their focus on using their toys instead of how rights apply, to the result of the SCOTUS determining that they have no legal obligation to protect citizens (decided in the Parkland case where a Deputy Sheriff ran from engagement, costing the lives of children) which gave birth to the "you going home is the TOP prioroty" mentality, their training is conducive to all this bullsh*t we're seeing of dumb power-tripping Cops and the climate of disdain for good Cops who speak out against it.

BTW, I love their stupid @ss imagery in the back, their gang flag and emblem.

I've made numerous posts about how sh*tty Police training is. From this "Warrior" nonsense where they're taught to look at citizens like tentative enemy combatants, to their focus on using their toys instead of how rights apply, to the result of the SCOTUS determining that they have no legal obligation to protect citizens (decided in the Parkland case where a Deputy Sheriff ran from engagement, costing the lives of children) which gave birth to the "you going home is the TOP prioroty" mentality, their training is conducive to all this bullsh*t we're seeing of dumb power-tripping Cops and the climate of disdain for good Cops who speak out against it.

BTW, I love their stupid @ss imagery in the back, their gang flag and emblem.

Wrong on quite a few points.

First, the warrior mentality is a minority, not the standard.

Second, in no way ever in all my trainings and seminars, have I ever been taught or was it even hinted that the public is hostile or the enemy. I was taught to serve the public and took that very seriously.

Third, it was not the parkland case that scotus determined police had no duty to protect-it was an nyc subway stabbing where two transit cops refused to engage and the victim sued the police and that was when the scotus stated that police do not have to prevent crimes and this was meant to be interpreted as there are no precogs to prevent all crime, so if you are a victim-the suspect is to blame for their actions, not the police. But the ruling was too vague and now people assume police do not have to engage. But if an officer simply watched a domestic abuse victim be beaten to death, I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be some kind of dereliction of duty on some level. But I hate coward cops almost as much as criminal cops. The parkland school officer is a giant, flapping pussy and the uvalde cops make me sick to my core. No one would have been able to stop me from going in either location. Disgusting fucking cowards. Probably 97% of cops would have done something in those instances.

Fourth, while I have heard “you will go home at the end of your shift” it was ALWAYS framed as you have to have an iron will to survive any deadly attack. David Grossman did a seminar that I attended and he talked about officers being shot and staying in the fight. It was never about not engaging simply to stay alive. It is about surviving the fight.

Fifth, fucking lol at “their gang flag” referring to the blue line flag. Nice acab statement. Do you even know what that flag and blue line represents? What it actually means? Nope, didn’t think so. It DOES NOT stand for us against them or everyone on this side of blue line is better than the rest. IT REPRESENTS cops being the blue line or wall that separates order from chaos.

Second, in no way ever in all my trainings and seminars, have I ever been taught or was it even hinted that the public is hostile or the enemy. I was taught to serve the public and took that very seriously.

Third, it was not the parkland case that scotus determined police had no duty to protect-it was an nyc subway stabbing where two transit cops refused to engage and the victim sued the police and that was when the scotus stated that police do not have to prevent crimes and this was meant to be interpreted as there are no precogs to prevent all crime, so if you are a victim-the suspect is to blame for their actions, not the police. But the ruling was too vague and now people assume police do not have to engage. But if an officer simply watched a domestic abuse victim be beaten to death, I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be some kind of dereliction of duty on some level. But I hate coward cops almost as much as criminal cops. The parkland school officer is a giant, flapping pussy and the uvalde cops make me sick to my core. No one would have been able to stop me from going in either location. Disgusting fucking cowards. Probably 97% of cops would have done something in those instances.

Fourth, while I have heard “you will go home at the end of your shift” it was ALWAYS framed as you have to have an iron will to survive any deadly attack. David Grossman did a seminar that I attended and he talked about officers being shot and staying in the fight. It was never about not engaging simply to stay alive. It is about surviving the fight.

Fifth, fucking lol at “their gang flag” referring to the blue line flag. Nice acab statement. Do you even know what that flag and blue line represents? What it actually means? Nope, didn’t think so. It DOES NOT stand for us against them or everyone on this side of blue line is better than the rest. IT REPRESENTS cops being the blue line or wall that separates order from chaos.

Swallow the WHOLE boot.

Man f*ck Grossman and his "learn to love the kill" bullsh*t. Look I'm sure if you and I met in-person, we'd probably get along just fine. As a Boxing instructor I've trained a few LE officers, CO's, etc., but you get your back up a little too easily on this issue over and over again when there is an OBVIOUS problem in Police culture that there is tons of video evidence of, and plenty of court cases which are costing taxpayers millions of dollars. If someone criticizes sh*tty Boxing Coaches on their practices I'm not gonna fly in and defend it, nor would I disagree that there are too laxed of standards for Coaches (there are and I'd actually like licensing to be more difficult). Also I'm actually for policing being better-incentivized to attract better candidates. Even here in Vegas recently I've been hearing guys who dont know what else to do with themselves say "I'm thinking of becoming a Cop." When asked usually the reasoning is it's easy to do and the pay is "pretty good." That's disturbing to me, I'd rather have it highly incentivized and very difficult to do.

As for the Court case, I thought it was the Parkland one because I do remember that Sheriff being acquitted of all "failure to act" charges, which seems to have had a wider effect that led to what we saw in Uvalde. So I appreciate the clarification on that, though it seems that declaration goes back even to Warren v District of Colombia in 1981, where the Appellate Court ruling was: "that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to specific citizens based on the public duty doctrine." So it seems this process has been a progression.

I know the History of the "blue line" of courage and sacrifice, however even Police Chiefs have spoken out now about how the symbology has been co-opted by political extremists who espouse the idea of a Police State so long as its directed at their opposition. And this is a private f*cking organization of people no longer even in law enforcement who are being paid with taxpayer dollars and have no specific allegiance. Not to mention that the content of the video is absurd and unprofessional. In film school, much to my surprise, we studied the symbology of imagery (this was where I first learned about what actually makes something propaganda, subliminal messaging, suggestive imagery, how media is used to invoke specific feelings), and I seriously doubt that whoever had the idea of having these bozos prance around in front of that flag, the eagle, etc., did so incidentally.

Here are some tidbits from a review of this Clown Car training organization:

"One featured speaker, a sergeant, likened a Black man to a monkey. The presenters joked about anal cavity searches, an action banned in many departments and that fits the FBI definition of rape. The report observes that Street Cop promoted among police an “us-against-them” warrior mentality toward the civilians they are charged with protecting."

"A CBS investigation, meanwhile, found that Benigno had been disciplined three times in five years while working as an officer in New Jersey, once for using a racial slur about a Black person."

That's the founder, Dennis Benigno.

"On March 18, an unknown number of officers in Albany, New York, paid $299 to hear Benigno lecture further on “Pro-Active Police Tactics.” The ad for the class was edited like an action-movie trailer, with dramatic music and video of explosions. It’s stamped at the end with the Street Cop logo of an eagle draped in the “thin blue line” flag and the Latin phrase Situs Vincere (“win, conquer, defeat.”)"

Look at this dumb sh*t:

Guy making totally innocuous gestures reasons for Cops to be on-edge. I got pulled over once with my cell phone in my hand, that's WHY I was pulled over lol. I was lost and was going slow to look at Google Maps and got popped for it. Nothing at all to do with drugs or messaging someone that I'm going to jail. This guy is an idiot and so is any Cop who pays him for this crap. This is just designed to cater to bully mentality, people who like having power over others and will find any reason to assert it.

Last edited:
Man f*ck Grossman and his "learn to love the kill" bullsh*t. Look I'm sure if you and I met in-person, we'd probably get along just fine. As a Boxing instructor I've trained a few LE officers, CO's, etc., but you get your back up a little too easily on this issue over and over again when there is an OBVIOUS problem in Police culture that there is tons of video evidence of, and plenty of court cases which are costing taxpayers millions of dollars. If someone criticizes sh*tty Boxing Coaches on their practices I'm not gonna fly in and defend it, nor would I disagree that there are too laxed of standards for Coaches (there are and I'd actually like licensing to be more difficult). Also I'm actually for policing being better-incentivized to attract better candidates. Even here in Vegas recently I've been hearing guys who dont know what else to do with themselves say "I'm thinking of becoming a Cop." When asked usually the reasoning is it's easy to do and the pay is "pretty good." That's disturbing to me, I'd rather have it highly incentivized and very difficult to do.

As for the Court case, I thought it was the Parkland one because I do remember that Sheriff being acquitted of all "failure to act" charges, which seems to have had a wider effect that led to what we saw in Uvalde. So I appreciate the clarification on that, though it seems that declaration goes back even to Warren v District of Colombia in 1981, where the Appellate Court ruling was: "that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to specific citizens based on the public duty doctrine." So it seems this process has been a progression.

I know the History of the "blue line" of courage and sacrifice, however even Police Chiefs have spoken out now about how the symbology has been co-opted by political extremists who espouse the idea of a Police State so long as its directed at their opposition. And this is a private f*cking organization of people no longer even in law enforcement who are being paid with taxpayer dollars and have no specific allegiance. Not to mention that the content of the video is absurd and unprofessional. In film school, much to my surprise, we studied the symbology of imagery (this was where I first learned about what actually makes something propaganda, subliminal messaging, suggestive imagery, how media is used to invoke specific feelings), and I seriously doubt that whoever had the idea of having these bozos prance around in front of that flag, the eagle, etc., did so incidentally.

Here are some tidbits from a review of this Clown Car training organization:

"One featured speaker, a sergeant, likened a Black man to a monkey. The presenters joked about anal cavity searches, an action banned in many departments and that fits the FBI definition of rape. The report observes that Street Cop promoted among police an “us-against-them” warrior mentality toward the civilians they are charged with protecting."

"A CBS investigation, meanwhile, found that Benigno had been disciplined three times in five years while working as an officer in New Jersey, once for using a racial slur about a Black person."

That's the founder, Dennis Benigno.

"On March 18, an unknown number of officers in Albany, New York, paid $299 to hear Benigno lecture further on “Pro-Active Police Tactics.” The ad for the class was edited like an action-movie trailer, with dramatic music and video of explosions. It’s stamped at the end with the Street Cop logo of an eagle draped in the “thin blue line” flag and the Latin phrase Situs Vincere (“win, conquer, defeat.”)"

Look at this dumb sh*t:

Guy making totally innocuous gestures reasons for Cops to be on-edge. I got pulled over once with my cell phone in my hand, that's WHY I was pulled over lol. I was lost and was going slow to look at Google Maps and got popped for it. Nothing at all to do with drugs or messaging someone that I'm going to jail. This guy is an idiot and so is any Cop who pays him for this crap. This is just designed to cater to bully mentality, people who like having power over others and will find any reason to assert it.

I didn’t watch the video or yours, but that’s because I am at work. I pointed out what I believe are falsehoods. I don’t come at you in any angry or aggressive manner, but the flag comment was ridiculous.

But you make very generalized statements about all cops. You called the blue line flag a gang flag. And yes, the proud boy bitches tried to use that flag and now they no longer like law enforcement, so it should go back to police imo. It was blm that first started saying the flag was racist in 2020 even before proud boys tried to steal it, which is probably why they tried to adopt it to piss off blm and antifa.

And I didn’t say I liked grossman. This was in 2003 before he got a little crazy. But he did say that if you put on the badge, you have to be willing to accept that some day, you may have to kill. He said you have to accept that or you hesitate and will get killed. It went from cops not wanting to kill to now, even when justified, some cops are afraid to use force because of what happens afterwards with courts and lawsuits.

Like I said, I hate bad cops and I hate cowardly cops and I hate dickhead cops-usually traffic cops. I was never a traffic cop or a cop that did traffic stops very often unless someone in the car had a warrant, was a criminal that we knew didn’t have a license, known crack dealers/users leaving crack houses type of thing. Why did I go after drug dealers? Was it because drugs are bad, mmmkay? No. It’s because 95% of our shootings were drug or gang related, which in my area is the same thing. I chose to work the worst beat for 7 years in a row because I wanted to do the most good and go after the worst people. Later, I became more community oriented police and tried to make almost every interaction a positive one.

I agree with you about the incentives. Just within the last two years has my department gotten decent salaries, which sucks because now I am gone. When I left, I was the number 4 highest ranked officer in the whole department as the second highest ranked lieutenant with only one other Lt, the deputy chief and chief above me. When I retired, I was making 56k. Now, officers start out at 60k and lieutenants make 83k. I am glad for them, but it sucks I didn’t get any of that. Make it a requirement to have a degree(higher pay for those that do) or be working towards one within 5 years-then a pay increase. Make the academies longer and harder and focus more on the bill of rights-not weeks on traffic laws. More and better training in both defensive tactics and mandatory deescalation training. I had to seek it out and teach myself because the nearest training was six hours away and the department wouldn’t pay to have trainers come in. So I learned it myself and taught all my officers that, but I only had a week with them to teach them that, then they went to the academy. There should be incentives to be in shape and train in approved martial arts-bjj/mma/judo so officers are confident and don’t have to use brute force all the time. In my entire career, I only had a few fights that went beyond a playful wrestle for me. I only threw one punch my entire career and it was to the ribs of an armed robbery suspect.

There are too many shitty cops out there and I want them gone, but by a huge margin, the majority are good cops.

I didn’t watch the video or yours, but that’s because I am at work. I pointed out what I believe are falsehoods. I don’t come at you in any angry or aggressive manner, but the flag comment was ridiculous.

But you make very generalized statements about all cops. You called the blue line flag a gang flag. And yes, the proud boy bitches tried to use that flag and now they no longer like law enforcement, so it should go back to police imo. It was blm that first started saying the flag was racist in 2020 even before proud boys tried to steal it, which is probably why they tried to adopt it to piss off blm and antifa.

And I didn’t say I liked grossman. This was in 2003 before he got a little crazy. But he did say that if you put on the badge, you have to be willing to accept that some day, you may have to kill. He said you have to accept that or you hesitate and will get killed. It went from cops not wanting to kill to now, even when justified, some cops are afraid to use force because of what happens afterwards with courts and lawsuits.

Like I said, I hate bad cops and I hate cowardly cops and I hate dickhead cops-usually traffic cops. I was never a traffic cop or a cop that did traffic stops very often unless someone in the car had a warrant, was a criminal that we knew didn’t have a license, known crack dealers/users leaving crack houses type of thing. Why did I go after drug dealers? Was it because drugs are bad, mmmkay? No. It’s because 95% of our shootings were drug or gang related, which in my area is the same thing. I chose to work the worst beat for 7 years in a row because I wanted to do the most good and go after the worst people. Later, I became more community oriented police and tried to make almost every interaction a positive one.

I agree with you about the incentives. Just within the last two years has my department gotten decent salaries, which sucks because now I am gone. When I left, I was the number 4 highest ranked officer in the whole department as the second highest ranked lieutenant with only one other Lt, the deputy chief and chief above me. When I retired, I was making 56k. Now, officers start out at 60k and lieutenants make 83k. I am glad for them, but it sucks I didn’t get any of that. Make it a requirement to have a degree(higher pay for those that do) or be working towards one within 5 years-then a pay increase. Make the academies longer and harder and focus more on the bill of rights-not weeks on traffic laws. More and better training in both defensive tactics and mandatory deescalation training. I had to seek it out and teach myself because the nearest training was six hours away and the department wouldn’t pay to have trainers come in. So I learned it myself and taught all my officers that, but I only had a week with them to teach them that, then they went to the academy. There should be incentives to be in shape and train in approved martial arts-bjj/mma/judo so officers are confident and don’t have to use brute force all the time. In my entire career, I only had a few fights that went beyond a playful wrestle for me. I only threw one punch my entire career and it was to the ribs of an armed robbery suspect.

There are too many shitty cops out there and I want them gone, but by a huge margin, the majority are good cops.

I dont have an issue with most of this, my comment about the flag was more this context. I believe THESE guys are using it with a gang mentality intention, especially given the reviews of their behavior. Especially pairing it with the eagle and slogan, I mean it doesnt get much more obvious what their messaging is.

Training was different in your day. There are still good cops but more of them each year are becoming ego driven and authoritarian. The cops now are ex-military or people with a chip on their shoulder who want to be in control.
The other factor to consider is how disrespectful people are to police now. As police encounter more lunatics each day, it will condition them to think that every person they are going to encounter is a lunatic. Then they start off with the authoritarian stance from the start.

TLDR:
Cops are becoming worse, citizens are becoming worse and the world is fucked!

I dont have an issue with most of this, my comment about the flag was more this context. I believe THESE guys are using it with a gang mentality intention, especially given the reviews of their behavior. Especially pairing it with the eagle and slogan, I mean it doesnt get much more obvious what their messaging is.

Fair enough. I am not arguing that this type of training doesn’t exist or that there are gung ho asshole cops that think they are robocop. It’s just not the majority in my vast experience

Training was different in your day. There are still good cops but more of them each year are becoming ego driven and authoritarian. The cops now are ex-military or people with a chip on their shoulder who want to be in control.
The other factor to consider is how disrespectful people are to police now. As police encounter more lunatics each day, it will condition them to think that every person they are going to encounter is a lunatic. Then they start off with the authoritarian stance from the start.

TLDR:
Cops are becoming worse, citizens are becoming worse and the world is fucked!

Ok. In my experience, old school cops were more brutal and the newer officers are being trained differently and it seems that the profession wants to move into, for lack of a better way to express it, softer more gentle cops. And yes, people are really shitty to cops these days and have been since 2013 is when I first saw the shift

Complying kidnapped teen shot and killed by Deputies:

Interesting review of the incident. Apparently witnesses and cops both stated they saw shooting from the passenger side of the vehicle, while the dad was driving. Also she was allegedly wearing tactical gear and was similar height to her father so that could have further skewed the perception of her. Lastly, she was shot by the deputies that were on the drivers side of the vehicle, furthest from the incident. Not the ones closest to her, trying to get her to come to them. It doesn't make it any less tragic but seems a bit less boneheaded perhaps if she was shooting at them or was mistaken for her father.

Interesting review of the incident. Apparently witnesses and cops both stated they saw shooting from the passenger side of the vehicle, while the dad was driving. Also she was allegedly wearing tactical gear and was similar height to her father so that could have further skewed the perception of her. Lastly, she was shot by the deputies that were on the drivers side of the vehicle, furthest from the incident. Not the ones closest to her, trying to get her to come to them. It doesn't make it any less tragic but seems a bit less boneheaded perhaps if she was shooting at them or was mistaken for her father.

As I said, I wanted to know how a fuck up this seemingly bad could have happened. I did suggest that this was a possibility

As I said, I wanted to know how a fuck up this seemingly bad could have happened. I did suggest that this was a possibility

I thought that the lie the cop told was debunked? She was not in tactical gear. That was a cover up BS. LoL at excuses for smoking an innocent teen girl when they had her photo.

Just lol at throwing a disabled man to the concrete and arresting him.

Insane. Protect and serve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back