What bothers me about Jon Jones

“Everyone’s on steroids.”

-Nate Diaz

7Z3y2Yu.jpg

he doesn't eyepoke. he keeps his fingers out... thats how he stops his opponents from getting in close. shady but a smart move IMO

Webster definition of eye poke: Keeping fingers in a horizontal plane as to deflect opponents eyes to release pressure in the form of blood and create vision impairing swelling.

No dude its bullshit and should be against the rules. The only reason it isnt is bc no ones really done it. Someone's knees going to get fucked for life bc of that shit. A knee bar can do the same but you have the chance to tap. Kicking someone's knee it is just as tasteless as it gets.
<YeahOKJen>

A blow to the head can cause a person's brain to swell in their skull, and they can die. I'm all for rules, but to harp on the oblique kick for safety reasons seems like a big oxymoron to me. We want to ensure a "safe fight". What? Even the eye poke thing, I get it, but ehhh I'm not going to lambaste him about it.

Steroids I get.

Webster definition of eye poke: Keeping fingers in a horizontal plane as to deflect opponents eyes to release pressure in the form of blood and create vision impairing swelling.

as long as his fingers dont go in eyes, its just a diversion.... effective defense

Against Shogun: sidekick to knee, counter eyepoke/eyerake, followed by two more pokes/rakes and a fake out which leads into an overhand right attempt.

Against Rampage: just fucking no bones about it (no pun intended), straight up taking his time aiming his eyepoke(s) infront of everyone without even trying to hide his intentions from anyone at all.

Jeez. Fucking sadistic asshat.

None of this has ever been and never will be a surprise though.

I can almost forgive those lame ass knee stomps and sidekicks to the knee, considering loads of fighters who do it or not literally attempt to take each other's heads off, limbs home, tenderize the body to its breaking points, and try to a break eachothers legs in half via roundkicks....but to attempt to rob your opponent of the ability to see? That's just extra screwed up.

Last edited:
I think that's actually not a bad statement

Like I can see the eyepokes being super annoying
I know they bother @Dr Hannibal Lecter like crazy roo

He should lose to Gus to lose some of that rep he earned in an illegitimate way. Then I'll be happy. I don't think he has eye poked in his last few fights anyway, however lomg ago and far apart they were.

Even better, lose a third fight to Gus too.

Besides the eye pokes I actually like the dude. He just needs some karma and the MMA community needs a reality check, because a lot of people seem to be eager to overlook those eye pokes because they are just too mesmerized by the dude. I always felt the refs often were too and that's why he got away with them. Crazy as it may sound.

100% agree and the refs let him do it......knee kicks are up there too...

Meh, refs didn't seem to mind

Last edited:
everyone cheats.

conor grabs the fence
DC pushes on a towel to make weight. Eye pokes Stipe.
yoel romero gets a title shot after missing weight on an interim belt fight.

i'd put jones' trace turinbol levels up there with it.

How can someone who cheats in multiple ways per fight ways be "arguably the greatest fighter of all time"? Makes no fucking sense. So if Ray Borg jumps in the cage and shoots Jon Jones with a gun, that makes him a champion and an all time great? Fighting smaller men, getting busted for steroids 4x and at least 1 eye poke per round and he is still in dipshit's GOAT talks? Lmao

I hope they shall have a good reff. Who will punish the eye pokes.
Or if one is sticking his fingers out, other is throwing over hand and breaks his fingers. Like Browne - Werdum.

How can someone who cheats in multiple ways per fight ways be "arguably the greatest fighter of all time"? Makes no fucking sense. So if Ray Borg jumps in the cage and shoots Jon Jones with a gun, that makes him a champion and an all time great? Fighting smaller men, getting busted for steroids 4x and at least 1 eye poke per round and he is still in dipshit's GOAT talks? Lmao

This is a fair point.

But even people he has eye poked consider him one of the best ever.

But your point is understood and fair.

Back