What are your thoughts about bullied kids committing suicide?

i hate bullies, I was bullied for a good portion of middle school as the quiet nerdy indian kid

I have 2 young boys and it is definitely not happening to them, started my eldest in TKD when he was 3y/o, then bjj when he was 4y/o, his younger bro looks like hes itching to start too

they'll be wrestling soon, and ill probably put them in some sort of striking when they are in their teens

they have my full blessing to defend themselves if necessary

bullies are the lowest form of life, and my heart breaks everytime I hear about kids killing themselves over it

Kids these days are fucking pussies that cant take even the slightest negative thoughts about their lifestyle choices. Kids need to be taught at an early age that not everyone is going to like. Not everyone is going to think you are a special rare flower. Some kids might pick on you. Some kids might try to get violent with you. Kids need to realize that their self worth lies within themselves. Not someone else. I was picked on horribly as a kid. I never once thought about killing myself.

i hate bullies, I was bullied for a good portion of middle school as the quiet nerdy indian kid

I have 2 young boys and it is definitely not happening to them, started my eldest in TKD when he was 3y/o, then bjj when he was 4y/o, his younger bro looks like hes itching to start too

they'll be wrestling soon, and ill probably put them in some sort of striking when they are in their teens

they have my full blessing to defend themselves if necessary

bullies are the lowest form of life, and my heart breaks everytime I hear about kids killing themselves over it

Bullying isnt limited to physical ability though, there was a guy in my class at school who was a fucking beast, but came across as dumb (he wasn't), had slow speed of speech pattern etc...he was relentlessly picked on the entire way through school for it.

Today's bullying in my opinion is much worse because of social media- kids get home and there is no escape 24/7. Not to mention photos that can be edited and sent round etc etc. Kids of today just have to adapt to our rapidly changing lifestyles.

Bullying isnt limited to physical ability though, there was a guy in my class at school who was a fucking beast, but came across as dumb (he wasn't), had slow speed of speech pattern etc...he was relentlessly picked on the entire way through school for it.

Today's bullying in my opinion is much worse because of social media- kids get home and there is no escape 24/7. Not to mention photos that can be edited and sent round etc etc. Kids of today just have to adapt to our rapidly changing lifestyles.

youre not wrong, I guess I never worried about my kids being too dumb

but yea I agree about social media, I honestly wonder how I would do growing up with all this bs

There isn't anything you can do about it. There's no reason kids should be any less susceptible to suicide as a result of external stress factors than adults.

In the past, as has been said, the kids could at least go home and get away from it. They had spring breaks and summers off for respite. Now they don't. It's constant and unending...and the internet is forever so it will follow them across schools and classrooms and entire cities.

So, I expect that more kids will commit suicide because the intensity of the social trauma is getting worse and we haven't gotten any better at identifying at-risk kids so that we can get them the support they need.

There isn't anything you can do about it. There's no reason kids should be any less susceptible to suicide as a result of external stress factors than adults.

In the past, as has been said, the kids could at least go home and get away from it. They had spring breaks and summers off for respite. Now they don't. It's constant and unending...and the internet is forever so it will follow them across schools and classrooms and entire cities.

So, I expect that more kids will commit suicide because the intensity of the social trauma is getting worse and we haven't gotten any better at identifying at-risk kids so that we can get them the support they need.

Agree, plus population increases and things like this making the news more often due to the increase of technology. There has always been suicides, just like there has always been pedos...we just think about it more nowadays because its all over the electronic forms of the news

This is the big problem... HOW do you stop bullying? Best solution would be to allow kids to fight in school. I was a fat ginger kid with big ears and I got bullied to hell and back. Only reason I didn't do anything about it was because I would get kicked out of school. 3 fights in a year and you were expelled (public school) regardless of the situation. So kids who weren't willing to get in trouble were fresh meat for bullies and it was always open season. I don't think teachers or school security can really do anything about it... it's going to happen but they have effectively removed any tool a child has against bullying. This is why kids get desperate and make long term solutions to short term problems, ie suicide or even shooting the bullies.
Doesn't that strike you as mildly fucking crazy that your solution to bad policy/enforcement by your childhood school is to let kids beat each other?

charles-darwin-quotes.jpg

Actually that is incorrect. The species that is most willing and able to make his environment change to its whim that will survive.

I got bullied a bit during my early years of grade school. If "words" are all I had to worry about in those days, my grade school years would have been a piece of cake.

If it's a boy i could care less if he kills himself. If Its a good looking girl then that's sad

Those kids were pussies which is why they were bullied in the first place. IMO

I think it's the schools fault for not putting bullies in their place and having a system designed to keep bullies from bullying. It's unfortunate but a lot of bullying is promoted in school through the elitist way that the school itself is designed. With that said no child should be bullied and no child should have to ikill themselves because they've been put down so badly.

I think it's the schools fault for not putting bullies in their place and having a system designed to keep bullies from bullying. It's unfortunate but a lot of bullying is promoted in school through the elitist way that the school itself is designed. With that said no child should be bullied and no child should have to ikill themselves because they've been put down so badly.
School is perfectly set up for bullies to thrive. Good point.

School is perfectly set up for bullies to thrive. Good point.

Life is set up for bullies to thrive.

You're not going to stop bullies or bullying and trying to design such a system is going to fail because bullying is simply people with power exercising it maliciously over people without. There's no way to remove the power dynamic in schools. The smart kids hold social power over the dumb ones. The strong ones over the weak. The big over the small. The popular over the unpopular. The attractive over the unattractive. You can't eliminate all of them. You can only try to mitigate the effects.

The best option is to provide support and intervention so that the bullied can learning proper coping mechanisms for what is going to be a lifelong problem and so that when/if the power dynamics ever shift in their favor, they don't adopt the same behaviors they suffered under.

Life is set up for bullies to thrive.

You're not going to stop bullies or bullying and trying to design such a system is going to fail because bullying is simply people with power exercising it maliciously over people without. There's no way to remove the power dynamic in schools. The smart kids hold social power over the dumb ones. The strong ones over the weak. The big over the small. The popular over the unpopular. The attractive over the unattractive. You can't eliminate all of them. You can only try to mitigate the effects.

The best option is to provide support and intervention so that the bullied can learning proper coping mechanisms for what is going to be a lifelong problem and so that when/if the power dynamics ever shift in their favor, they don't adopt the same behaviors they suffered under.
Maybe if you're going to force kids to attend school, you should as a society have the responsibility that your kids are being sent to a place where they're not psychologically tortured for 6+ years.

Support and intervention are additional plusses, yes.

Maybe if you're going to force kids to attend school, you should as a society have the responsibility that your kids are being sent to a place where they're not psychologically tortured for 6+ years.

Support and intervention are additional plusses, yes.

I agree with the sentiment, I simply disagree that any such implementation is realistic.

I agree with the sentiment, I simply disagree that any such implementation is realistic.
Maybe. A study I read indicated that a "greener" playground leads to less bullying. Obviously doesn't solve the whole issue, but that's at least one "structural" measure that can be taken.

Not saying it's easy at all, but I really dislike the fact that people take our current school system as a given and nothing must be changed about it.

Maybe. A study I read indicated that a "greener" playground leads to less bullying. Obviously doesn't solve the whole issue, but that's at least one "structural" measure that can be taken.

Not saying it's easy at all, but I really dislike the fact that people take our current school system as a given and nothing must be changed about it.

I think change is necessary and anything that reduces bullying is a positive. But given just how much bullying has moved online, I personally think the effort is better spent on the bullied, not the bullies. But we should try to address them as well.

I think change is necessary and anything that reduces bullying is a positive. But given just how much bullying has moved online, I personally think the effort is better spent on the bullied, not the bullies. But we should try to address them as well.
Persecuting bullies is definitely unwise, unless they're psychopaths. I just hate it when bright kids get messed up because of bullying.

My wife have the discussion numerous times and if things ever got really bad we would pull him out of school , home school , move , whatever it took , we pulled her younger brother out in grade 10 after he got jumped at shool by some girls boyfriend and his buddies and had him do distance ed for the last couple of years , he ended with a masters in psychology, worked out great .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back