What are your standards of conditioning for a fight?

None of your standards involve fighting.

This.

My standard is being able to spar hard for rounds that are 33-40% longer and more numerous against world class competition without ever gassing.

Everything else is mental.

Edit: I guess you're asking how to get to there? There is no standard, one is always trying to improve, it's how hard you're trying that causes less or greater adaption. Actually, no, I re read your op, you asked how I know I'm ready and I've answered.

Last edited:
I have no standards for my fight fitness. Also applies to many other areas of life.

This. Just get as good as you can without burning or wearing yourself out.

If you can go 5 hard five-minute rounds in sparring, you should be fine.

5 miles at 6 min miles is a very good pace even for most club runners, I honestly don't think many ammatuer fighters or even pros (above a certain weight) are pushing that kind of pace.

For some context in the my county in the UK there is a 5 mile league amongst the running clubs in the summer (You have to be a member of a running club to enter so good standard).

341 people took part (mixed age and genders) but only 37 got under 30 mins and I doubt any of them are a strong all round athletes.

Push ups pulls ups swimming and running all help but I wouldn't use them as standards. I'd rather have a guy who can spar round after round than and keep coming be the standard than some random bullshit like long distance running or 100 push ups. There's really no standards for fighting. To much variations across disciplines and individuals.

I don't think I would be able to do 100 pushups in a row or run 8km in 36 minutes, without training for it as a sole focus for months. How much do you weigh?

Pretty high standards!

Last edited:
Standards that have no correlation with the task at hand are meaningless. For me I felt ready to start competing when I was able to spar hard rounds, while keeping my composure and not gas out.

For instance when I started competing in amateur boxing which is 3, 2 minute rounds, I was doing 6, 3 minute rounds of sparring, and 12, 3 minute rounds (heavy bag, speed bag, shadow boxing) on non-sparring days. Never in my life have I ran 6 minute miles or did 100 continuous push ups.

100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
100 squats
And 10km running every day

Eat 3 meals a day, but just a banana for breakfast should be okay.

And most importantly, do not use AC during summer or winter in order to train your willpower.
Have you gone bald yet?

The bio force database on Joel's site actually has test numbers in a variety of benchmarks for a bunch of his pro and amateur fighters. If you were trying to target improvement of GPP markers, that's a good place to start, although i believe you have to buy one of his conditioning products to get access

The bio force database on Joel's site actually has test numbers in a variety of benchmarks for a bunch of his pro and amateur fighters. If you were trying to target improvement of GPP markers, that's a good place to start, although i believe you have to buy one of his conditioning products to get access
That sounds pretty interesting.

Bare minimum is having decent level of aerobic and strength base.

Maintaining skill all year around.

Lol at 5 miles at a 6 minute pace for an ammy fight.

[...] My standard is being able to spar hard for rounds that are 33-40% longer and more numerous against world class competition without ever gassing. [...]

I've never done any multiple round stand-up contest, but I know this is a popular way for preparation. Are there any concerns you might develop bad habits (i.e. taking it easy the first couple of minutes, pacing yourself too much)?

IMHO, getting through a shark tank under competition conditions with fresh or rested opponents is a pretty decent prep marker.

I've never done any multiple round stand-up contest, but I know this is a popular way for preparation. Are there any concerns you might develop bad habits (i.e. taking it easy the first couple of minutes, pacing yourself too much)?

IMHO, getting through a shark tank under competition conditions with fresh or rested opponents is a pretty decent prep marker.

Pacing yourself is fine if you're winning the points/position game, governing the use of energy relative to your opponents reserves is a valuable skill that you don't really get any other way.

Shark tank is great but it's really a tool to learn how to survive when gassed rather than knowing whether one is ready or not fitness wise.

I know very few people who could hit any of those marks, let alone all of them. If you can do it, congrats, you're a beast in my book.

Ive been doing all sorts for my cardio

Recently its clicked though that ive been doing it all wrong

If i want to box amateur its 3 rounds of 3 minutes with 1 minute rest

Therefore all my cardio should be 3 hard minutes with 1 minute rest

This is my new mentod of training, only started yesterday though so not sure how it will pan out yet but it does seem logical

Ive been doing all sorts for my cardio

Recently its clicked though that ive been doing it all wrong

If i want to box amateur its 3 rounds of 3 minutes with 1 minute rest

Therefore all my cardio should be 3 hard minutes with 1 minute rest

This is my new mentod of training, only started yesterday though so not sure how it will pan out yet but it does seem logical

That's how i would expect your threshold training to work closer to a fight, but there's no reason your training should look like that year round. Some of the underlying adaptations for high performance in that timeframe respond to much higher volumes, and some to much lower volumes, and variability is a desirable attribute on it's own- almost all successful endurance training programs are polarized in intensity until peaking for an event

That's how i would expect your threshold training to work closer to a fight, but there's no reason your training should look like that year round. Some of the underlying adaptations for high performance in that timeframe respond to much higher volumes, and some to much lower volumes, and variability is a desirable attribute on it's own- almost all successful endurance training programs are polarized in intensity until peaking for an event

But lets say i want cardio to do 3 hard rounds of 3 minutes

Realistically, simply doing 3 minutes hard 3 times round with 1 minute breaks will get me the conditioning needed, right ?

I personally think that burpees and sprints>>>>long distance running for a fight.

For the record, I'd bet at least 80% of fighters in the UFC above LW aren't ready for their first ammy fight according to TC.

Back