What are your standards of conditioning for a fight?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Universal Kombat, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    What feats of strength and/or conditioning must you do to be able to consider yourself fit for a fight? You can tell me your bare minimum or your ideal conditions.

Minimum for me; For me it's to be able to do 100 push ups in a row. 20 pull ups. Run 5 miles at a 6 minute pace. Swim 1000 yards non stop.

This is just the minimum I believe one would need for an amateur fight. I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say. I want to know what you guys feel you have to do in order to feel like you're ready.

2. LatFlare EADC

LatFlare
    None of your standards involve fighting.

MinhHau, biscuitsbrah, Rholk and 7 others like this.
  3. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Those numbers are a bit high for a first ammy fight. Its a nice to have, but I don't see it as required.

The closest thing for me for "fight standards" is being able to do high intense sparring based on your ruleset (3x2min for MT, 3x5min for MMA, etc) without gassing then its fine. Cardio is heavily dependent on breathing anyways, so I would rather a fighter learn to do that better. You can have the best tank in the world, but if you don't breathe properly you will gas, that is a guarantee.

Rholk, Sugar Jordan and Badger67 like this.
  4. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    You have no reading comprehension, dummy dumb dumb.

Keywords in my OP were "Minimum for me" to feel comfortable with. As in my personal choice. I'm not saying that those physical feats I listed are all a fighter needs, but that's the bare minimum physical capacity that I expect from MYself. Sure if it wasn't already obviously implied, let's throw in be able to spar your amount of rounds comfortably.

Obviously breathing fits into the equation but that's not really physical feats in the traditional work out sense. You can't measure how many good breaths you did.

I'd like to add that fighting is very different than sparring. Going at it for 15 minutes with a guy in your gym you know, in a gym you've been training for a while, where you feel comfortable, is very different than fighting someone in an actual fight. (I'm not saying sparring DOESN'T help, sad I have to write this because people read way more into posts than there's there).

But by your post. You're giving me the impression that fighters need not work out their physical conditioning but just focus on being able to spar the necessary fight amount. But if that were the case every fighter would abandon their running, swimming, biking, and exercises that 99% of fighters do for their conditioning, and instead just spar or grapple.

Think about how many times MMA fighters in the UFC have gassed early in fights. I'm pretty sure they can spar the full rounds in the gym, but in the fight it's way different. This is why you have to work your cardio past just being able to spar your rounds.

Muay Thai gyms in Thailand or at least the one I know have minimum physical requirements they'd like of their fighters in order to just train them. Same goes for them fighting up in the ring. Muay Thai fights are rather short, and yet they find it necessary their fighters are extremely well conditioned.

And even for grappling.

I know of a Judo gym where the Sensei would give us competitors a list of workouts with sets×reps he would like us to be able to do in order to compete. He said those exercises would help improve our grips and muscles from fatiguing from certain fight related movements.

(Which is why I added pull ups and push ups on my BARE MINIMUM list).

Hopefully I cleared up my vague OP.

5. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    hmmm. I don't really have a minimum standard actually, its nice to get there, the more the better obviously, but I wouldn't use it to hold them back. Now if they're done after 1 round, dropping their hands and losing posture when gassed, and its late into the camp, then yeah, I'd probably cut them. I do know that sparring isn't the same as fighting (I've competed before).

If I were to have a standard based on my own:

-5-6km below 30min
    -3km below 15-20min.
    -high intense sparring / padwork without gassing. If they're gassing mid round of a 2-3 min round, and its week 5 of camp, then its not looking good.
    -not folding in the clinch (due to muscle endurance) after a min
    -I'd like the fighters to do both HIIT and LISS work. I've made the mistake in the past of doing one over the other, and have gassed because of it.
    -5-8 pullups
    -bench 1xBW
    -squat/dead 1.5xBW

I also think nerves and cutting play big factors into fighter's tank as well, but those are things that really only come with exp. and its difficult to train for.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Universal Kombat likes this.
  6. gspieler Red Belt

gspieler
    So running 5 miles in 30 minutes is considered a "minimum" to you? Just out of curiosity, what would you consider good for the standards you've set for yourself?

7. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    If this is pointed to me, I said km not miles

8. gspieler Red Belt

gspieler
    TS...5 mi x (6min/mi) = 30min

9. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    ah okay

10. The_observer86 Green Belt

The_observer86
    Bare minimum:
    -burger king
    -don't be a little b*****

tdluxon, F350, biscuitsbrah and 4 others like this.
  11. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    I used to do triathlons to put your question into perspective.

12. Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Kiwi Tricker
    I have no standards for my fight fitness. Also applies to many other areas of life.

13. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    That's unfortunately where I've found myself lately but I'm getting back on the bike

14. Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Kiwi Tricker
    My standards for a bike usually are that it has 2 wheels.

On topic for the thread, as far as standards for strength go, I have none. I like to think I usually maintain a reasonable standard. I'm not very good at push-ups in terms of numbers. I'm not an incredibly gifted runner. I can tell you I've never in my life done 100 push-ups in one set, and there's only a few times I've managed a 20-minute 5k. I'm afraid I've never hit your standards, at any level I've fought.

I usually judge my fitness on how I go with pad rounds. When I can get through more than 5 x 5-minute rounds and still be fairly comfortable, I know I'm pretty fit. The rest doesn't matter so much. I have no metrics. I have no standards. I operate by feel. I think you'll find that's how most fighters are- they're judged on how they look in the gym sparring, hitting pads, and standing through drills.

15. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    It works for some and it doesn't for others. Everyone's different. These are MY standards. Don't know why everyone's getting so defensive, I'm not upholding anyone to them.

Maybe people here are more out of shape than I thought thus taking things the wrong way haha

16. Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Kiwi Tricker
    Because most people here are against the idea of "standards" being applied for something intangible and immeasurable- fight readiness has no metrics. Especially that your standards seem to be so high- the inference I got from your post is that you would expect others to have similar standards. So, it's a double reason.

17. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    There most definitely are standards if you hold yourself to them or your gym holds you to them.

Same thing with fitness in the military. If you get out of breath standing up from the couch to heat up a hot pocket... you think you'd be ready for a fight? There has to be a minimum amount of fitness standards for serious competitors.

Well at least you admitted your post comes via way of insecurities and implications, made by your part by the way. I never implied anything and even took extra precautions wording my OP to keep responses like yours from happening but to no avail.

18. Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Kiwi Tricker
    This is why I used the word inference, not implication- to say that is what other people reading may take from your post, not what you put in it.

If you actually read what I wrote you'll know that I specifically stated that "I operate by feel. I think you'll find that's how most fighters are- they're judged on how they look in the gym sparring, hitting pads, and standing through drills."

Nobody has said that fighters shouldn't be fit. It's just that the specific fitness required for a fight has no measurable metric. It doesn't matter what your runs are like, or your push-ups, or anything much more than what your fitness is like when you're doing actual fight training. Which brings me back to my point- there are no standards and metrics for something that is intangible and immeasurable. As LatFlare said, none of your standards involve fighting.

19. Curly Peibce Purple Belt

Curly Peibce
    he also mentioned 100 consecutive pushups, smh

Sano likes this.
  20. Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Kiwi Tricker
    100 push-ups
    100 sit-ups
    100 squats
    And 10km running every day

Eat 3 meals a day, but just a banana for breakfast should be okay.

And most importantly, do not use AC during summer or winter in order to train your willpower.

PCP319, biscuitsbrah, Rholk and 7 others like this.