What are your standards of conditioning for a fight?

Ive been doing all sorts for my cardio

Recently its clicked though that ive been doing it all wrong

If i want to box amateur its 3 rounds of 3 minutes with 1 minute rest

Therefore all my cardio should be 3 hard minutes with 1 minute rest

This is my new mentod of training, only started yesterday though so not sure how it will pan out yet but it does seem logical
Yeah always match your round duration in training. My first exibition my schedule lines up with the MMA guys, and they were all doing 5min rounds. Come fight time, I wasn't used to the 2min balls to wall intensity, as 5min rounds were fairly laxed in comparision.

But lets say i want cardio to do 3 hard rounds of 3 minutes

Realistically, simply doing 3 minutes hard 3 times round with 1 minute breaks will get me the conditioning needed, right ?
Do both types (LISS + HIIT type cardio). You need to work both energy systems. HIIT for the intensity, and LISS for the overall volume

Keep your skillwork: padwork, bagwork, sparring sessions, etc with 3x3min w/h 1min rest. You can do it in sets if you want, do a 3x3, then take 10min off, and get back to another "set"

I compete in MT and the rounds are 3x2min. My exhibitions and first 2 fights, my mistake was doing pure LISS and getting shocked by the intensity. First exi. I gassed at the end of the 1st (lol). I just figured maybe I needed more LISS!... My 3rd fight I tried something new and did nothing but HIIT type cardio to match the 3x2min intensity. Around mid of the 3rd I gassed from dropping LISS (helps work overall cardio), and for some strange reason the judges marked it a tie and brought it to a 4th where I had nothing left. My strikes had no more sting to them at that point.

Last edited:
Why not both, say a few hundred thousand thais
I think they both have their place but I used long runs as a way to cut weight and loosen up. My real conditioning came from doing the other stuff.

But lets say i want cardio to do 3 hard rounds of 3 minutes

Realistically, simply doing 3 minutes hard 3 times round with 1 minute breaks will get me the conditioning needed, right ?
I did a lot of that myself. I gassed to an extent but I chalk that up to nerves and getting rocked at the end of the first. My rounds were usually five minutes in training but I would do stuff like get on a elliptical for 3 minutes with the resistance set way hi and just go as hard as I could for 3x3 with one minute rest. Sprints were different, I would do a 100 yard sprint (took me roughly 15 seconds because white) and then rest the remainder of the minute. Every time the clock hit zero I would do another sprint. I would do about ten of these and I really feel like that helped me in scrambles, flurries.

the hard part for me is mixing in my sprint days and distance days thennn my squats, deads, clean and jerks bench i like to get 2 days a week squats if i can at least once dead lift if not 2 then 2 days a week sprints 2 distance i don't wana run on lifting days

Back