What are you playing? v.9 (Kefka Edition)

Is a bad launch a death sentence for a new IP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Sorry other games, you'll have to sit out for a bit. I loves me some AC:RPG.

Just finished up the tutorial section. It's more of the same, but it's got a few tweaks. Combat, while decent, could still use a bit of an overhaul. It's still a bit floaty, and missing that certain "crunch", but it works, and it seems to have a lot more options, and has more of a mean streak(limbs be flying). Not a big fan of the "raids", as it's just a big clusterfuck with you doing your thing with a few other NPC's. Neat spectacle, but it's just button mashing bullshit, involving zero strategy. They did add something rather insignificant to finding big chests. They jump around a bit when you find them. Pointless, but satisfying.

The skill tree...oh' my God. Nice illusion of depth, but I know there won't be much depth to the combat after level 10 or so, and that's a big issue with these games. If they could make you feel the same level of evolution of say, "Dark Souls", these games would be universally praised and celebrated. As is, it's a big RPG system, that needs a true RPG design to really hit home. Still appreciate the effort, though.

That's about it for now. Gonna really sink my teeth into it when I have some more time.

I could not get into Valhalla at all. The combat in AC has never really been that great so it disappointed me to see them lean so heavily into it. Just felt like a poor mans action rpg.

Prince of Persia getting some glowing reviews. Can't wait to jump in but I promised myself I will beat Aeterna first. I'm around 86% through on hardest difficulty.

FB_IMG_17023431533dd25.jpg

alright, ive crushed 3000 hours on path of exile. plenty more than that actually before i migrated the client on to steam. i officially have no life. mind you a good chunk of this time was spent in my hideout with the game minimized, just selling shit to people whispering me to trade.

doing 100 simulacrum runs just for shits and giggles and i'm almost half way through. this shit is time consuming as hell because my build is still very capable and tanky and i can push very far in these, but its totally worth it as i'm getting some epic loot. i dont mind shelling out thousands of chaos orbs just to load up on a shit load of simulacrum fragments because i always make a shit tonne of currency by selling off all the valuable shit i get during my runs afterwards.

i always make a huge fucking fortune off of doing these runs and it costs me nothing but the time invested to clear it. its totally worth my while but still pushing through a hundred of these straight is starting to feel like a bit of a grind. ive already been at it for a week now lol.

but yeah, i forced myself to take a nice long break from PoE because it was starting to consume my life.. now i pick it back up and it's consuming my life again. for fuck sakes.

Last edited:
I could not get into Valhalla at all. The combat in AC has never really been that great so it disappointed me to see them lean so heavily into it. Just felt like a poor mans action rpg.

i'm still half way through valhalla. both on series x and then pc after i bought it again

i keep getting distracted by other games. its gonna be a good while before i get around to finishing that. same with far cry 6.

i dont mind valhalla for what ive got out of it so far. though i liked odyssey more. though ive kinda lost track of the storyline in valhalla. i just like to go around exploring and doing all the side shit building up my character and being hilariously overpowered for the main content.

i never went about these 2 assassins creed games as some kind of stealth assassin. i'd walk straight in through the enemy gates and be like come at me bro and then fuck up everybodies day. i found straight up rushing everybody and engaging in combat to be alot more amusing than any of that stealth shit, which would often fall apart on me due to some random bullshit and then i'd end up having to engage in combat with the whole crowd anyways. though i'd still never pass up an opportunity to assassinate an unsuspecting foe just for the lol's.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 2

At the Shrine of Amana. Ok this area was clearly designed to punish tanky melee builds like myself so I'm ok with it being frustrating but I have a question. Everytime I try to lock on to those priest looking guys with the halbeards the game spins me around 180 degrees and I get raped from behind. Is this a power they have or just shitty game design? I've noticed it before bit it's really bad here and it's pissing me off.

Dark Souls 2

At the Shrine of Amana. Ok this area was clearly designed to punish tanky melee builds like myself so I'm ok with it being frustrating but I have a question. Everytime I try to lock on to those priest looking guys with the halbeards the game spins me around 180 degrees and I get raped from behind. Is this a power they have or just shitty game design? I've noticed it before bit it's really bad here and it's pissing me off.
There is probably a closer enemy behind you that it's locking onto but yeah, that area is punishing. Almost impossible to run through unless you kill everything first.

Dark Souls 2

It's just the worst area in the game regardless of what build you are imo.

Thankfully it's not that long.

Dark Souls 2

Don't know what's going on there, but that area is pure fucking hell. It's one of the most notoriously shitty areas across the franchise. Just cheese who you can with ranged attacks(if you're able), and scrape and claw your way through it. It's so bad. Especially if it's your first time. Nothing but pain. At least it looks nice, though. If you can get through it, the rest of the game will be a breeze.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

I gotta hand it to Ubisoft, for making this game feel so damn different from it's predecessors, despite have a very familiar setup. It has like a seven hour tutorial/opening section, and it doesn't just repeat the same beats. The pacing is so different from what I've come to expect from the franchise. It has a big focus on the story, and the exploration is practically an afterthought. Now I'm finally in England, and it introduces this whole base building mechanic out of nowhere.

I'm not sure how much I'm liking it, since I'm still getting my bearings, but it's interesting, and way different than I thought it would be. I was expecting "AC:Odyssey" with vikings, but it's quite a bit different than that.

Last edited:
Dark Souls 2

the simple solution: git gud scrub!

from my experience any enemies at a distance that would give me bullshit in dark souls 2 i would just "cheese it" killing everything on the way to them , going back to a bonfire and then killing them all again and repeating until they no longer spawned, and then bum rushing the bullshit enemy and repeating the cycle until they wouldnt spawn anymore.

that was way back on xbox 360. i dunno if i would have handled it any different today but i was always a melee guy too. that game gave me alot of grief, so i just basically farmed as many enemies as i could in the area until they'd no longer spawn and then i would move on and do it some more. it made for some easier levelling and alot less bullshit to put up with. i never really had the best gear or an ideal build set up and i just kinda winged it on my playthroughs so thats just how i would deal with it.

i couldnt do that in ds3 and 4 and elden ring, so it forced me to use different strategies or just try to avoid unnecessary encounters or try to run away just so i could progress further. as a melee character i never got much love in dark souls.

its been well over a decade since i even played that game and i dont recall that area off memory so i cant really give you any pointers but i know ive been put through the same bullshit before so i feel your pain.

Last edited:
Yakuza fans get in here. Drops 1-25

I refuse to look at that clip or play the trial version.

I've already found one spoiler from a YouTube headline, so I've been x'ing anything remotely to do with Yakuza since.

Also considering paying full whack for add-ons. Never did that before, but I've heard that the game is going to be huge...

the simple solution: git gud scrub!

from my experience any enemies at a distance that would give me bullshit in dark souls 2 i would just "cheese it" killing everything on the way to them , going back to a bonfire and then killing them all again and repeating until they no longer spawned, and then bum rushing the bullshit enemy and repeating the cycle until they wouldnt spawn anymore.

that was way back on xbox 360. i dunno if i would have handled it any different today but i was always a melee guy too. that game gave me alot of grief, so i just basically farmed as many enemies as i could in the area until they'd no longer spawn and then i would move on and do it some more. it made for some easier levelling and alot less bullshit to put up with. i never really had the best gear or an ideal build set up and i just kinda winged it on my playthroughs so thats just how i would deal with it.

i couldnt do that in ds3 and 4 and elden ring, so it forced me to use different strategies or just try to avoid unnecessary encounters or try to run away just so i could progress further. as a melee character i never got much love in dark souls.

its been well over a decade since i even played that game and i dont recall that area off memory so i cant really give you any pointers but i know ive been put through the same bullshit before so i feel your pain.
I had few spawns left on the pirate cove area my first time but not intentionally. I died falling in the water so many times lol. It was really dim on my shifty screen at the time, which didn't help. Those monsters with long arms scared the hell out of me the first I saw them ( at the last second) and they trounced me.

DS2 went near full gank, but I still love it!

I had few spawns left on the pirate cove area my first time but not intentionally. I died falling in the water so many times lol. It was really dim on my shifty screen at the time, which didn't help. Those monsters with long arms scared the hell out of me the first I saw them ( at the last second) and they trounced me.

DS2 went near full gank, but I still love it!

thats usually when you turn to the in game player notes for guidance and then you read something like "loose but hole. try finger."

Last edited:
Went back to Ultimate Admiral Dreadnaughts. because all the fixes and patches have made the game actually playable again, while not breaking the game for new players. You can now go in fresh, with no idea what is going on, and after a few training missions get a general idea as to how to play. But if you want to go long term 60 year campaigns, you have to sink some time and effort into learning mechanics or dumb luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back