What are you playing? v.9 (Kefka Edition)

Is a bad launch a death sentence for a new IP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a few evenings over the past week playing the “My House” wad for Doom 2. This had been on my radar since I first started hearing about it back in the spring when it released, but after seeing my on my favourite gaming YouTubers actually put it among his top 10 games of the year I thought I’d finally try it out. Quite the trip. Glad I took the time to experience it for myself.

The thing about it though is to get the most of it you have to be an experienced Doom player, familiar with what the game typically can or cannot do. If someone sat down and just played the wad and it was their first time ever playing Doom they’d probably find it quaint, but someone that’s played Doom for close to 30 years there’s multiple instances of “how the fu…??!” to be had.

Been playing Chained Echoes...Indie JRPG. Really like the soundtrack and battle mechanics. Story is fairly interesting with some good characters. Roughly 20 hours into it and I feel like I might be around halfway through. Solid game would recommend if you're a fan of the genre

Been wanting to try that one it looks TST. Did you buy it or get it on GP?

Wild Hearts

I wasn't expecting much from this shameless "Monster Hunter" clone, but it's pretty damn good, and I hope MH takes up some of it's elements, now that EA has basically abandoned it for not making a billion trillion dollars.

Now, I'm a very casual MH fan, but this game just feels better to play, and eliminates a LOT of the bullshit. The UI, while still a bit cluttered, feels more refined. There is no stupid "weapon sharpening" mechanic, so you don't have to worry about that. There is a decent lock-on targeting system, so you don't have to free wheel the camera all the time, and it feels more natural to switch between the two(like Dark Souls). Then there's the on the fly crafting element, which seems ripped from "Fortnite", but surprisingly works really well, and adds a whole new dynamic to fights. The combat also feels a more fluent and responsive, although I could really do without the whole "three stages" of boss fights, that have you pointlessly chase them down after each stage.

Other than that, it's "Monster Hunter". I only just dipped my toes into it, but it all feels really good, and has a far lower bar for entry, since it's a lot easier to understand all of it's nuanced systems. I think EA is gonna regret throwing the baby out with bath water here. The "Monster Hunting" genre is just getting off the ground, thanks to MH finally connecting with the masses in the west, and this is a damn good first effort in capitalizing on it. It would be a real shame if they didn't follow up on it, because it's right there. It would be like if "Call Of Duty" gave up in the face of "Medal of Honor" dominating the WW2 shooter genre. You never know when that shit is really gonna click, and leave your opponents in the dust.

I played some lethal company. It's such an ugly game but it's hilarious to play with some friends.

I've been playing Mario Golf 64 and it's the most content I've been in years.

I completed Rage 2. I enjoyed it (As someone who didn't bother completing the first one). The combat and weaponry felt good and meaty (Love that headshot sound). The vehicular combat wasn't amazing but it wasn't a drawback either. Was a fun 20 hours, and I'll probably spend a little more time with it and get more achievements, but I'm installing Serious Sam 4 as the next FPS in my lineup

Also in the final stages of Spiderman. It's really impressive, and I'm down for the Miles Morales game and the sequel. But when I'm done I'll probably take a bit of a break from the franchise and get something like Days Gone or Outer Wilds off my backlog first

Wild Hearts

I wasn't expecting much from this shameless "Monster Hunter" clone, but it's pretty damn good, and I hope MH takes up some of it's elements, now that EA has basically abandoned it for not making a billion trillion dollars.

Now, I'm a very casual MH fan, but this game just feels better to play, and eliminates a LOT of the bullshit. The UI, while still a bit cluttered, feels more refined. There is no stupid "weapon sharpening" mechanic, so you don't have to worry about that. There is a decent lock-on targeting system, so you don't have to free wheel the camera all the time, and it feels more natural to switch between the two(like Dark Souls). Then there's the on the fly crafting element, which seems ripped from "Fortnite", but surprisingly works really well, and adds a whole new dynamic to fights. The combat also feels a more fluent and responsive, although I could really do without the whole "three stages" of boss fights, that have you pointlessly chase them down after each stage.

Other than that, it's "Monster Hunter". I only just dipped my toes into it, but it all feels really good, and has a far lower bar for entry, since it's a lot easier to understand all of it's nuanced systems. I think EA is gonna regret throwing the baby out with bath water here. The "Monster Hunting" genre is just getting off the ground, thanks to MH finally connecting with the masses in the west, and this is a damn good first effort in capitalizing on it. It would be a real shame if they didn't follow up on it, because it's right there. It would be like if "Call Of Duty" gave up in the face of "Medal of Honor" dominating the WW2 shooter genre. You never know when that shit is really gonna click, and leave your opponents in the dust.

I was pleasantly surprised by Wild Hearts, easily the best MH clone out there, not that there are that many.

Agree that they did some things better and had some interesting mechanics. Total lack of an end game though that I had hopes with DLC, but from what I understand it's all but abandoned at this point.

Playing Gotham Knights alongside Elden Ring as its up on PS Plus

Pretty much addicted to Gran Turismo 7, started doing endurance races and getting the Le Man's classic cars from the 80s/90s, the level of detail is insane.

Been playing Prodeus as well, retro old doom style shooter, only a few levels in, playing on hard mode it's a blast so far.

Picked up Brotato on a Steam sale and I’ve been having a lot of fun with it on the Deck. Gameplay loop and upgrading is awesome. Scratches a Vampire Survivor itch that I haven’t had in a while.

Last edited:
- No penalty for dying as long as you regain your lost souls.
I laughed over this bit because, IMO, that's the kingliest of penalties, lol. No penalty...except this MF GUT-PUNCHING BALROG one.

Great write-up, bud. I'm basically taking away your recommending Aeterna Noctis over this!

I laughed over this bit because, IMO, that's the kingliest of penalties, lol. No penalty...except this MF GUT-PUNCHING BALROG one.

Great write-up, bud. I'm basically taking away your recommending Aeterna Noctis over this!

Enjoy man! If you end up making it past The Tower of Light, and you like it, you'll have a good understanding of what the game is going to be like. Each biome has it's own platforming mechanics and challenges and eventually you'll get abilities / weapons to make it a bit more smooth.

Trying to get through this Lost in Random title. Started off okay but the combat is a slog about half way through the game (everything revolves around a superfluous RNG dice mechanic) and the story is like a Tim Burton movie but written for mongoloids.

Going to start Yakuza 0 after as the entire series is on sale ATM and I should probably get in the series now.

I should also add that I "Platinumed" DuckTales Remastered and it was a triumph as I never finished it as a kid on the NES. It requires beating the game on "extreme" difficulty. Which is basically no continues, saves and hard pogo mode. Wasn't to bad even though the controls are still pretty bad compared to an NES controller.

Just patiently working my way through Ragnarok. Did not enjoy playing as the kid so I hope that isn't done much in this game. I always forget how much I enjoy the combat in this game once it opens up a bit more. This time around I've been trying to use both weapon sets instead of sticking to one like I did in the first game. I just loved the shield/axe so much it was hard to switch.

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Sorry other games, you'll have to sit out for a bit. I loves me some AC:RPG.

Just finished up the tutorial section. It's more of the same, but it's got a few tweaks. Combat, while decent, could still use a bit of an overhaul. It's still a bit floaty, and missing that certain "crunch", but it works, and it seems to have a lot more options, and has more of a mean streak(limbs be flying). Not a big fan of the "raids", as it's just a big clusterfuck with you doing your thing with a few other NPC's. Neat spectacle, but it's just button mashing bullshit, involving zero strategy. They did add something rather insignificant to finding big chests. They jump around a bit when you find them. Pointless, but satisfying.

The skill tree...oh' my God. Nice illusion of depth, but I know there won't be much depth to the combat after level 10 or so, and that's a big issue with these games. If they could make you feel the same level of evolution of say, "Dark Souls", these games would be universally praised and celebrated. As is, it's a big RPG system, that needs a true RPG design to really hit home. Still appreciate the effort, though.

That's about it for now. Gonna really sink my teeth into it when I have some more time.

Pacific Drive looks right up my alley.

I think it's PC only?

:(
Its on PS5 as well but looking like no Xbox port at the minute unfortunately
Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Sorry other games, you'll have to sit out for a bit. I loves me some AC:RPG.

Just finished up the tutorial section. It's more of the same, but it's got a few tweaks. Combat, while decent, could still use a bit of an overhaul. It's still a bit floaty, and missing that certain "crunch", but it works, and it seems to have a lot more options, and has more of a mean streak(limbs be flying). Not a big fan of the "raids", as it's just a big clusterfuck with you doing your thing with a few other NPC's. Neat spectacle, but it's just button mashing bullshit, involving zero strategy. They did add something rather insignificant to finding big chests. They jump around a bit when you find them. Pointless, but satisfying.

The skill tree...oh' my God. Nice illusion of depth, but I know there won't be much depth to the combat after level 10 or so, and that's a big issue with these games. If they could make you feel the same level of evolution of say, "Dark Souls", these games would be universally praised and celebrated. As is, it's a big RPG system, that needs a true RPG design to really hit home. Still appreciate the effort, though.

That's about it for now. Gonna really sink my teeth into it when I have some more time.

I started it up a couple of months back and got to the second main area but I felt the same as you on the raids and combat at that point , need to return to it after I've finished Elden Ring and Gotham Knights

Pacific Drive looks right up my alley.

I think it's PC only?

:(

From the sounds of it, it's not quite as dramatic as Pacific Drive. But maybe check out Jalopy (Which I believe is on Xbox as well as Steam). You basically need to drive a banged up old car on a journey through Europe. A banged up old car which is constantly breaking down and needing repairs, and the game is based around fixing it up and raising the money to do so. It's a fun game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back