What are you playing? v.10 (Red Falcon Edition)

Your Super Contra gun of choice?

• Machine gun (Highest ROF, 6-bullet on-screen cap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ive got a hankering to get back to diablo 4. looking at the PTR it seems like the game might finally be going in the right direction.

i got the game on launch and got my ww barb to 100 long before the first season ever started. got to nightmare 65 dungeons, had all the gear i needed and my aspects set up, and then quickly burned myself out on the game as it felt like all the dungeons were the same 3 or 4 templates and i was just repeating the same shit over and over for no real purpose other than to grind for that shako that i knew i was never going to drop, while trying to get the last of my glyphs to 21 for the smallest most incremental damage boosts.

2 of my buddies quit for the same kinda reason. it was fun until we hit endgame and after a while the novelty kinda worn off and we moved on to playing different games. i had a lot of buyers remorse with that game as i've sank thousands of hours on diablo 2 and 3 and i wanted diablo 4 to be so much better than it was but after a month the game left me with a sour taste in my mouth knowing what it could have and should have been.

but it looks like its turning around now. i guess the pit is pretty much the d3 version of doing rifts or whatever, and that mastercrafting stuff looks interesting. i think i'll be giving it a shot once the big patch goes live for all.

but alas, a new season of path of exile just started, and ive gone back to it. even though seasons mean nothing to me in PoE and i play in standard and ive been rocking the same build for like 5 or 6 years now that game never gets old to me. i've almost cleared 3500 hours on it now on steam and that's probably the most amount of time i've sunk into any game ever. i took about a year off from that one just because i was way too addicted, but i've been on and off with it since january.

but yeah i think i'll go back to D4 or D2R just to shake things up otherwise i'm just gonna end up finding myself playing PoE exclusively for god knows how many months when i already have so many other games i'd like to catch up on.

I always find myself going back to certain games and getting another 100+ hours from them the second or third time around.

Bannerlord 2 has been a big big game for me in terms of sheer time invested. I know it’s not as polished as some games on the market. But the simplicity of navigating the world is in a way appealing. And there’s a lot of ways to play. Different factions do feel entirely different, playing as a berserker with the sturgeons is a lot different then being a mounted archer with the khuzaits.

And all that being said, I do see lots of flaws and annoyances in the battle engine, but one thing remains. When you get two equal armies in a large scale conflict, the battlefield feels like mayhem and it’s glorious. Small effects in those bigger battles like dirt kicking up and creating dust long after anything that resembles a formation is gone, and the battle erupts to full on mayhem is a feeling that will keep me coming back to the game until something better comes along.

It’s hard to replicate that feeling where you prepare your weapon while on horseback and pick a target, you line them up, and then they get side swiped at full speed and die before you get there, then a lancer comes out of nowhere and tries to do the same to you, and you panick and try to land the blow on the horse which hits, sends the rider flying through the air, and as you attempt to finish off your downed opponent, a small number of infantry rush to his defense trying to swarm your horse and keep you from becoming mobile again. And it happens in 4, maybe 5 seconds?

when the dust and all that gets involved it’s even more chaotic, you’ll get people popping out of nowhere chopping each other down.

I’ve never found a game with medieval combat that comes close on a console in terms of action. But admittedly the polish on the strategy, and ai end can use a little love. I wish the game got more praise and people promoted the combat more. At its lowest the game feels like rental bin garbage. At its best the experience is unmatched.

Unfortunately I think the scale of the game was too big and so there’s always going to be 9 million “what’s ifs”

Started playing X-Com2 again, and was playing on 'Hard' but my squad has 10 health points starting out, so that'd give them a break.

But 5 hours into it, I tried reloading an autosave from a few turns back, and... it crashed the game.

I tried loading a save a few turns further back, and it also crashed the game.

I tried reloading a save from two missions back.... and it crashed the game.

So I uninstalled the entire game and hopefully when I redownload it in the future that problem will be fixed. Holy fuck, its an 8 year old game so you'd think all of the main problems would have been ironed out by now.

Re-downloaded it and now the saves are loading perfectly.

Thought my initial post deserved an update.

And its bizarre to me the X-Com2 & the War Of The Chosen are two separate downloada, and X-Com2 is like 12 gigs & War Of The Chosen is like 44gigs.

ive got a hankering to get back to diablo 4. looking at the PTR it seems like the game might finally be going in the right direction.

i got the game on launch and got my ww barb to 100 long before the first season ever started. got to nightmare 65 dungeons, had all the gear i needed and my aspects set up, and then quickly burned myself out on the game as it felt like all the dungeons were the same 3 or 4 templates and i was just repeating the same shit over and over for no real purpose other than to grind for that shako that i knew i was never going to drop, while trying to get the last of my glyphs to 21 for the smallest most incremental damage boosts.

2 of my buddies quit for the same kinda reason. it was fun until we hit endgame and after a while the novelty kinda worn off and we moved on to playing different games. i had a lot of buyers remorse with that game as i've sank thousands of hours on diablo 2 and 3 and i wanted diablo 4 to be so much better than it was but after a month the game left me with a sour taste in my mouth knowing what it could have and should have been.

but it looks like its turning around now. i guess the pit is pretty much the d3 version of doing rifts or whatever, and that mastercrafting stuff looks interesting. i think i'll be giving it a shot once the big patch goes live for all.

but alas, a new season of path of exile just started, and ive gone back to it. even though seasons mean nothing to me in PoE and i play in standard and ive been rocking the same build for like 5 or 6 years now that game never gets old to me. i've almost cleared 3500 hours on it now on steam and that's probably the most amount of time i've sunk into any game ever. i took about a year off from that one just because i was way too addicted, but i've been on and off with it since january.

but yeah i think i'll go back to D4 or D2R just to shake things up otherwise i'm just gonna end up finding myself playing PoE exclusively for god knows how many months when i already have so many other games i'd like to catch up on.

Yes do it! @Wrath of Foamy and I have been having a blast. He discovering Diablo for the first time and me revisiting it for the first time since October. Just started my 2nd Barb and got him to level 42 and also finally got my Sorc to Tier 3 an passed the Capstone. Now gonna try and not overgear until Season 4 comes. The campfire chat with all the new changes to itemization and the new Pit endgame and that they made Helltides way better is a huge step in the right direction. I still have to try out a lot of stuff and I don't even have one character at Tier 4 yet.

In case anyone missed it whom is interested in jumping back in, I'll post an embed to the stream that was posted 2 weeks ago below. @idrankyourbeer if you wanna run with @Wrath of Foamy and I just PM me your Blizz ID.

The Masters 2024

Okay, this game is just an embarrassment. Decades and decades of golf games, and they shit this absolute joke of a game out. The ball physics are worse than "Hot Shots Golf" on the Playstation. The UI is a complete mess. Animations and player models are ugly as fuck. It's "always online", which means if the servers hit a snag, so does your swing. Not that it really matter, given the atrocious mechanics this game has, that will have you ripping your hair just to hit a decent drive.

One of the absolute worst modern sports games I've ever played, and they have the stones to sell it for $100. Shit ain't worth ten cents.

1/10

The Crew Motorfest

Picked this up on sale a few months back and totally forgot about it. I put a few hours in last night and so far so good. The map is much more interesting than Horizon 5. Still a little confused about how some of the systems work but I'm having a lot of fun.

Dark Souls 3

I was cruising through this until I hit Aldrich. Jesus, what a bullshit boss. Like most of them i got him down within a hit or two my first attempt and then he destroys me everytime after. I'm not sure what I should do next. Maybe use the Ashes DLC to level up? I don't know. This is my favorite of the trilogy so far though. They really nailed the formula here.

I'm in no rush to finish. This will be the last of the Fromsoft games I can play on Xbox and I'm already getting the urge to get a PS5 for Bloodborne and Demon Souls.

Last edited:
Started playing Dragon's Dogma 2 last night. I have a feeling this is going to eat up a lot of my life over the next couple months.

The Crew Motorfest

Picked this up on sale a few months back and totally forgot about it. I put a few hours in last night and so far so good. The map is much more interesting than Horizon 5. Still a little confused about how some of the systems work but I'm having a lot of fun.

Dark Souls 3

I was cruising through this until I hit Aldrich. Jesus, what a bullshit boss. Like most of them i got him down within a hit or two my first attempt and then he destroys me everytime after. I'm not sure what I should do next. Maybe use the Ashes DLC to level up? I don't know. This is my favorite of the trilogy so far though. They really nailed the formula here.

I'm in no rush to finish. This will be the last of the Fromsoft games I can play on Xbox and I'm already getting the urge to get a PS5 for Bloodborne and Demon Souls.
Beauty of Fromsoft, everyone struggles with different bosses. I got through Aldritch on my first attempt and struggled more with the Crystal Sage lol.

Finished up Midnight Suns.

Was a blast at first, buttttttt, the limited enemy types and lack of any sort of variety in the levels, really holds it back in the last 3rd or so. Really enjoyed the kickback feature, and the play between knocking minions out with anything “quick” to build heroisms. Faraxis still did a pretty good job in regards to hero powers. Magik fanboy for life! First character I went all in with besides the hunter.

Going to replay Fallout 3 because of the series. 4 and NV has been played recently, so 3 it is

Let me know if there's a tag (categorical thread prefix for reading, sorting) that you guys would be interested in for our sub; one that would be of real utility, in other words. Ideas could be: Help, Question (gaming or tech), FGC, Achievement (platform agnostic).

Thanks

Been playing a lot of Doom 2016 lately. Such an awesome game and so addictive.

Just finished a pistol only run on UV and now I'm trying it again on nightmare. Some of the arenas are brutal but overall it's not as bad as expected and it really forces you to learn how to fight each enemy instead of just overwhelming them with firepower. The pistol in the beginning is maybe the worst weapon ever invented but it's amazingly fun once you get it fully upgraded.

How could you not love a game that treats you like this?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Been playing a lot of Doom 2016 lately. Such an awesome game and so addictive.

Just finished a pistol only run on UV and now I'm trying it again on nightmare. Some of the arenas are brutal but overall it's not as bad as expected and it really forces you to learn how to fight each enemy instead of just overwhelming them with firepower. The pistol in the beginning is maybe the worst weapon ever invented but it's amazingly fun once you get it fully upgraded.

How could you not love a game that treats you like this?

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Still can’t believe you’re doing all this on a controller lol

After Rebirth I decided I wanted to go through the original Final Fantasy 7. It’s probably been 10 years since I’ve played it but since it’s just for comparison’s sake I turned on 3x speed and the refilling Limit/HP/MP mods to get through it quicker.

I’m about done with it and while it’s obviously a classic, what I’ve really come away with is a larger sense of accomplishment for what the devs of Remake and Rebirth are pulling off. So many scenes were handled with a ton of care in recreating but they’ve also been successful in forging their own narrative.

Gets me even more excited to see how they wrap things up.

Whoever designed the Playlist for the Mustang in Motorfest should be hung for treason.

Monstertruck Mustang?
Swamp buggy Mustang?

Just give me Eleanor and get the f out the way

Playing Eiyuden chronicle. It's OK? Story ID fine, combat is slow unless you auto battle. Honestly the game just feels slow . I think they leaned too heavily into the nostalgia and made the game too old. I'm not sure, game just feels clunky.

Playing Eiyuden chronicle. It's OK? Story ID fine, combat is slow unless you auto battle. Honestly the game just feels slow . I think they leaned too heavily into the nostalgia and made the game too old. I'm not sure, game just feels clunky.

I think a lot of reviews mentioned the same thing that it was to old school basically.

I think a lot of reviews mentioned the same thing that it was to old school basically.
That might be a cover for it just being shit. Had a lot of hype behind it. I can start up old school JRPG's(post FF6) no problem, and unless they are truly boring and badly written, they're fine. I doubt it's as "old school" as the real old school shit, where JRPG's were a frustrating chore to play, like "Dragon Warrior" or something. This sounds like it's just plain old boring, and they're struggling to just flat out say it.

Back