What are Stephen King's best books?

Pet Sematary. Sometimes, dead is better.

the tommy knockers and the mist are good,like others have said,the stand and the running man are good as well.

IT, From A Buick 8, Dark Tower series, any of his short story collections although a couple of his newer ones I haven't read yet. Check out The Man in the Black Suit. Great short story. Puckered my anus back when I first read it. Lots of others. He had a lot of great stuff up until he got crunched up by that van.

The Bachuman books were great - Rage, the long walk and the running man
I loved the long walk and running man. I would also add the green mile. The movie was good but the book was better.

The Bachman Books (with the exception of Sun Dog), Four Past Midnight (All Four Stories were great) and Pet Cemetary are some of my favourite books. Reread them a lot.

In no particular order:

Dark Tower (best books in the series: Gunslinger, The Wastelands, Wolves of the Calla)
The Stand
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Dolores Claiborne
Everything's Eventual (esp. Riding the Bullet)
Salem's Lot
Needful Things
Tommyknockers
The Long Walk

Last edited:
His first three novels were great, and I think I enjoyed Salem's Lot the most of the three.

I always thought The Mist was a whole book. Is that incorrect?

I think it's just a short story. Part of Skeleton Crew. Lots of good stories in there. The inspiration for Maximum Overdrive. Awwwww yeah!

Then I saw this though. Not sure what he means.

yeah,in skeleton crew,but he expanded it. skeleton crew is pretty good as well.

My favourite out of his books was "The Dead Zone". It hangs together as a novel the best out of all his books I've read and even had a good ending.

Running man was a decent read but I think it could have been a lot better

The Long Walk is my favourite in hindsight. Would make a great character study film.

My favorites are:

Salem's Lot
The Stand
IT
On Writing: A Memoir on the Craft

His collection of short stories is a lot fun too. A nice break his typical 500-1,000 page beasts.

Gunslinger is easily the best.

The Stand is probably second place but like a lot of King's work its to overlong and meanders to much. Salem's Lot might trump it though.

Back