What are Stephen King's best books?

Easily The Shining for me, turned me around from thinking King was eh

The Shining (fuggin' incredible book, the movie and the miniseries both sucked by comparison)

I finished the Shining a few weeks ago (its wayyy better than the movie) and I'm about half way through IT right now.

I have seriously been working on The Shining for over a year. I just can't seem to finish it.

Having watched the movie and heard that the book was also excellent, I was really looking forward to it. But I'm just finding it to be a slow and laborious read.

I'm about 300 pages in and thus far the story is best summed up as, "Arrrghhhh, I'm an alcoholic!" without much else really happening, plot-wise.

The Shining legitimately creeped me out as a teen which is rare for a book. But hey, maybe it's not your cup of tea.

I haven't read much of his recent stuff but Lisey's story was good.

I really loved 11 22 63 and would recommend it to anyone.

I recently read 11/22/63. I really enjoyed it. I felt disappointed at the end, as I often do, maybe because it's really more about the journey than how it turns out.

I've only read 11/22/63 and it was great. Over 800 pages and I read it like nothing.

I'm currently reading Carrie. Carrie is a shorter book and pretty easy to read too. I actually found 11/22/63 to be an easier read and more intense. Non stop action. I kind of dose off sometimes reading Carrie especially when it's referencing other stuffs like newspapers or documentary. I like the format but I guess it's just not for me.

After Carrie, I plan to read IT. I plan to read the books before I watch the movies, if you haven't figured out what I'm doing.

The Stand
IT
Dark Tower Series
Salem's Lot

Though the Dark Tower had several ups and downs, I to admit it had me very emotionally invested by the end. I tore through that last book in about 3 sittings and was truly sad when it was over.

I recently read 11/22/63. I really enjoyed it. I felt disappointed at the end, as I often do, maybe because it's really more about the journey than how it turns out.

I know what you mean, the yellow card man was such a big let down for me.

From best to worst, the ones I've read are...

- The Stand
- IT
- Bazaar of Bad Dreams
- The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
- Salems Lot

I liked The Gunslinger, The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, Wolves of the Calla, and Wind Through the Keyhole in the Dark Tower series but always liked the books that didn't focus so much on Susannah or Eddie I also liked 11/23/63.

The Bachman Books (with the exception of Sun Dog), Four Past Midnight (All Four Stories were great) and Pet Cemetary are some of my favourite books. Reread them a lot.
The Langoliers was one of my favorite short stories ever. I read it in my early teens and it still creeps me the fuck out to this day.

The extended cut version of the stand is probably my favorite book. Read it at least once a year. Fuck the dark tower series. Wish I would have quit after the first few.

Everyone always talks about King's older work but his newest trilogy is among his best work:

Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch. In that order. All solid books. 9/10.

Under the Dome and 11/22/63 were great as well. I didn't care much for Duma Key. Revival was alright. Doctor Sleep was another average novel as well IMO.

When it comes to his older stuff... The Shining is his best work. The Stand, IT, and The Dark Half are great as well..

All of his books are worth a read though. I've read most of his work except the full Dark Tower series. I got through 4 and quit. Didn't care much for it.

IT, Salem's Lot, The Shining, and The Dark Tower series are my favorites, in that order.

Has anyone read Gerald's Game? I just watched the movie today and really enjoyed it, though I don't know how good of an adaptation it is.

I have seriously been working on The Shining for over a year. I just can't seem to finish it.

Having watched the movie and heard that the book was also excellent, I was really looking forward to it. But I'm just finding it to be a slow and laborious read.

I'm about 300 pages in and thus far the story is best summed up as, "Arrrghhhh, I'm an alcoholic!" without much else really happening, plot-wise.
Ahhh see thats where you fucked up, you watched the movie first.

The two are so different, having any expectations from one to the other is gonna leave you disappointed.

In my case I read the book first and absolutely loved it. Then watched the movie and was just so put off by how changed it was I couldnt enjoy it.

Ahhh see thats where you fucked up, you watched the movie first.

The two are so different, having any expectations from one to the other is gonna leave you disappointed.

In my case I read the book first and absolutely loved it. Then watched the movie and was just so put off by how changed it was I couldnt enjoy it.
The remake of the shining was way closer to the book.

I really enjoyed the book.

I have read them all. Here is my top 10. I left off collections and novellas.

1. Salems Lot--Scared the shit outta me when I read it. So well done. Vampires have been pussified in the last decade but then they were monsters.

2. The Stand-Epic, brutal, long, great book filled with rich characters.

3. The Shining-So scary to read, so relentless.

4. Bag of Bones--I love haunted house stories, this one is a gem.

5. It--Great character driven terror. Love the story.

6. Cell--This was a great book many didn't like or read.

7. Dr. Sleep--Great sequel to the shining.

8. Tommyknockers-Long, pacing issues but still a great one.

9. Carrie--Classic

10. Dreamcatcher--Interesting, great setting.

Honorable mention: Misery, Pet Cenetary, Desperation, Needful Things, Darkhalf.

Books I couldn't get through or was bored: Insomnia, Under The Dome.

I have read them all. Here is my top 10. I left off collections and novellas.

1. Salems Lot--Scared the shit outta me when I read it. So well done. Vampires have been pussified in the last decade but then they were monsters.

2. The Stand-Epic, brutal, long, great book filled with rich characters.

3. The Shining-So scary to read, so relentless.

4. Bag of Bones--I love haunted house stories, this one is a gem.

5. It--Great character driven terror. Love the story.

6. Cell--This was a great book many didn't like or read.

7. Dr. Sleep--Great sequel to the shining.

8. Tommyknockers-Long, pacing issues but still a great one.

9. Carrie--Classic

10. Dreamcatcher--Interesting, great setting.

Honorable mention: Misery, Pet Cenetary, Desperation, Needful Things, Darkhalf.

Books I couldn't get through or was bored: Insomnia, Under The Dome.

Out of curiosity, have you seen any of the made-for-TV mini-series that have been made based on King's books, and if so, which do you think were the best?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back