What´s your opinion about Big Weight cutters..??????

If they can make weight then they can make weight. If not then clearly they shouldn’t be fighting at that weight class

It’s pretty fuckng simple really.

problem with that is that WW's are also LHW's that cut.

Kind of like Frankie fighting at LW and being too small because most were MW's that cut to LW....
Instead of kicking those guys up, they forced Frankie down.

We have big weight cutters on every weight class. I've seen some big cutters on BW, it depends on the body, some don't put muscles to make an advantage on reach, and those are the ones that looks really lean and skinny, then you see shorter guys that don't want to cut much and decide to make muscles their advantage.

That's the game. Or was more so when iv was legal. Pee used it to thier advantage, but the rules allowed them to do so. People like gsp, bones, Anderson.. All towered over thier opponents and had huge advantages from doing so. Would thier records be similar had they fought up a weight class? I highly doubt it. Again the rules allowed it, like in all sports, they take any advantage they can get.

GSP did not tower over the rest of the WWs. He is 5' - 10". There are many LWs who are taller.

Look at his opponents:

Hendricks 1" shorter
Diaz 3" taller
Condit 3" taller
Shields 2" taller
Kos equal height
Hardy 2" taller
Alves equal height
Penn 1" shorter ( a LW)
Fitch 2" taller
Serra 4" shorter (a LW)
Hughs 1" shorter

GSP could have cut to 155 if he wanted to.

Yes, he missed weight every fight night, when he step in the octagon over 155lb.

Sure, imagine back in early UFC when people complain about groin shots...

And "no stupid people" like you.. saying "The intelligent ones adapt to the rules and success.. derp derp.."

WJFJUEP.gif

Wow I was not aware & Kevin?

We have big weight cutters on every weight class. I've seen some big cutters on BW, it depends on the body, some don't put muscles to make an advantage on reach, and those are the ones that looks really lean and skinny, then you see shorter guys that don't want to cut much and decide to make muscles their advantage.
well, kill WC. That won't change, but they will be fighting at their natural weight.
Lot of muscle of long reach but lean... makes no difference.

You miss weight for an important fight, or have to go the hospital over your weight cut? Congrats, you're now a [next weight class up] fighter.

That's how things should be done.

Adds excitement to the sport. Love the videos of people crying in the salt bath or the teammates holding the sauna door shut as they cry to get out.

I bet you also love the videos of guys showing up to the weigh-in overweight too.

the absolute dumbest part of MMA (and wrestling, boxing, etc).

we are watching a fight to determine who is the better fighter between the two...and who cuts the most weight with the least negative side effects has NOTHING to do with that.

What people seem to overlook is the fact that you are talking about how these guys make a living. Being a top contender/champion at 155 can represent a potentially huge difference in earnings vs being a gatekeeper at 170. If the rules allow the big weight cuts they will always happen. The rules will have to change to make it nearly impossible for it to go away.

The big problem that I have within the current rules is the lack of real punishment for missing weight. Fighters are missing weight, winning their fights, then expecting to continue as if missing weight never happened. Lee and Romero are asking for title shots. The punishment needs to be much harsher.

ban weight cut via dehydration

monitor fighters weight throughout the year

force fighters to higher weight classes if they are cutting too much

Has Tony missed weight? Or Kevin? I know Kevin struggled last time because of the staph infection but he's never missed weight either has he?
In Lee's 6th Pro fight he missed weight badly, and had to have the fight at 160lb catchweight..

In Lee's 6th Pro fight he missed weight badly, and had to have the fight at 160lb catchweight..
On wiki it doesn’t even specify if HE missed weight, for all you know, his opponent missed weight and he agreed on a catch weight. Could’ve also just been a catch weight fight to begin with if it was short notice.

On wiki it doesn’t even specify if HE missed weight, for all you know, his opponent missed weight and he agreed on a catch weight. Could’ve also just been a catch weight fight to begin with if it was short notice.
I don't use wiki, I only speak on things I know of based on my experience. In that case, one of my old sparring partners was on that card and I have trained under Dewey Cooper years ago.. who has been Lee's and Mayweather's kickboxing coach for the past few yrs now. Assuming, is very odd to begin with.. nor would I have said he missed weight badly if I didn't know. Have to use common sense in the real world.

Blame the UFC for not having a division between 155 & 170, a 15lb jump is huge, we're talking about a guy having a 10% weight/size advantage on you, no small feet.

I don't use wiki, I only speak on things I know of based on my experience. In that case, one of my old sparring partners was on that card and I have trained under Dewey Cooper years ago.. who has been Lee's and Mayweather's kickboxing coach for the past few yrs now. Assuming, is very odd to begin with.. nor would I have said he missed weight badly if I didn't know. Have to use common sense in the real world.
It’s pretty clear you don’t speak on things you know, after some research on his opponent that night, according to Sherdog Travis Gervais weight class is 160, Kevin Lee didn’t miss weight.

It won't change unless everyone stops cutting weight. A 155er not cutting weight to fight at 170 would be fighting actual 185ers.

The guys who look like they cut two weight classes bother me though. Like Dan Hooker. Dude is as big if not bigger than Wonderboy and Wonderboy is not a small WW.

Hooker made Jim Miller look like a child and when I see that I have a really hard time being impressed with the win.

It’s pretty clear you don’t speak on things you know, after some research on his opponent that night, according to Sherdog Travis Gervais weight class is 160, Kevin Lee didn’t miss weight.
According to sherdog.. end of story. You do realize sherdog is not a legit source for info correct? He missed by 4lbs..

Back