Werdum fights beautifully

The winner of Overeem/Ngannou should get the next shot. Werdum can fight Volkov for the shot after that. There's no one else. Hunt's in limbo right now, Lewis needs a win or two to be relevant again. It's either Werdum fights Volkov or Blaydes. I know which fight sounds like it makes more sense.

The winner of Overeem/Ngannou should get the next shot. Werdum can fight Volkov for the shot after that. There's no one else. Hunt's in limbo right now, Lewis needs a win or two to be relevant again. It's either Werdum fights Volkov or Blaydes. I know which fight sounds like it makes more sense.
Werdum x Cain II, i don't think Werdum will fight that soon since he just fought twice and Cain said he'd like to return at early/mid 2018.. But yeah if he doesn't, Volkov could work.

Too early to Blaydes face a top 5, let's see if he can pass by Derrick Lewis or even Tybura before.

Hunt would have finished either had he been allowed to fight.
fabricio-werdum-mark-hunt.jpg

I know he took the fight on short notice, but if he can’t take Stipe down and looks like that on his feet, it’s not going to go well for him..Stipe will tune him up and KO him within 2 rounds.

I´m a huge Werdum fan, but I´ll have to disagree with you here. Not taking anything away from Tybura, but I thought Werdum looked sloppy in his striking again and he left himself open too many times; he chased Tybura around a few times like he did agaisnt Stipe; he kept fainting punches to get close for the MT clinch (which wasn´t working like it worked against Cain), but at some point he was just telegraphing those strikes to get that clinch and was leaving himself exposed.

Well, a win is a win and maybe I´m being a little too critical of his performance, but I expected a more dominant win or a finish, and I saw some holes I didn´t like and I think that other better HW fighters may be able to capitalize and exploit it.

I think he was mostly surprised by Tybura's durability. Werdum set a high and wild pace, and took some risks doing it, but his opponent never faded or quit and even won the last round IMO.

I´m a huge Werdum fan, but I´ll have to disagree with you here. Not taking anything away from Tybura, but I thought Werdum looked sloppy in his striking again and he left himself open too many times; he chased Tybura around a few times like he did agaisnt Stipe; he kept fainting punches to get close for the MT clinch (which wasn´t working like it worked against Cain), but at some point he was just telegraphing those strikes to get that clinch and was leaving himself exposed.

Well, a win is a win and maybe I´m being a little too critical of his performance, but I expected a more dominant win or a finish, and I saw some holes I didn´t like and I think that other better HW fighters may be able to capitalize and exploit it.
Partially agreed, Werdum is not a standup fighter, so his performance was fair enough and constant, had Overeem learned that lesson back when he fought Bigfoot he would have been spared of the flashiest loss of his career. This is quite important for a HW.

But also I think Werdum had to give media a lot of attention due to the boomerang incident, I'm pretty sure that got in his way as less time to train, I just don't know how much did it disturb Werdum's training.

The guy is 40 yrs Old. But he aways brings something new, other types of kicks, flying knees, some trolling faints.
Today he pointed to the ceiling and said: "look" for tybura. I thought it was very funny.

Even winning by points Werdum kept going ALL IN.

He is a example of fighting. Hope that younger fighters with more gas follow his example.
Some of these high-fly kicks... he was already doin´them back in the days, against Serguei for instance... but people forgot...

Werdum KOd Hunt, floored Reem, and beat up Cain on the feet and made him panic wrestle. He also beat Browne on the feet.

His striking has holes but I think hes done well with what he has.

Sounds fair.

Tybura was a HW with 18 fights who faced legit competition and never had lost by stoppage (other than a doctor one of course), i think people aren't giving him credit here.

Better striker? Dude, look HW top 15, the only ones who could beat Werdum in stand up fight are probably Hunt and Volkov and maybe Hunt is not fighting again.. Volkov can do it, but can he defend takedowns like Tybura did? Volkov was taken down a lot against Denis Smoldarev at Russia and couldn't get up, and against Timothy Johnson he should had lost. I don't see any "better striker" taking advantage of Werdum's defense, this is HW, you can't expect fighters to move and strike like LWs or WWs.
Stipe would beat his ass again. His standup is not good. It only looks good in comparison to shitty strikers in the HW division. Tybura lost to a guy that got TKO'ed by a guy wearing a fkin diaper.

I am sure the ghost of Junior Dos Santos could beat Werdum as well even if he is a big cheaty cheaterton.

I’ve got to watch the main event from last night, or maybe not... the main card put me to sleep before Bec even fought, that was after a cup of coffee with dinner...lol

He's not beating Stipe fighting like he did last night

I think he might just be the HW G.O.A.T.. to be honest.. yeah he lost his title but if you look at his career man what he's accomplished and is accomplishing even at 40..hard not to see it that way..he just put a beating on a guy way younger then him..not to mention the wins over Fedor. ..nog..Velasquez. .

You on the pipe?

Not at all. Rafael teaches a very typical brazillian style of kickboxing, it's fast aggression but not technical. Look at his guys and the best guy he's got is RDA (who owes most of his striking savvy to Chatri Sityodtong)

you don't know shit about MMA or you are a brazilian hater, which one? Werdum dropped and had a close stand up fight with fucking Overeem to a fucking stupid noob like you say that he's not world class, just ridiculous.. how many world class are them? who is better than Werdum? Stipe, JDS and Overeem = 3, there's no other "world class" fighters? lmao

a effective striking is a good striking, you don't need to be very technical, we have a boxing champion who isn't

Werdum has done badly against good strikers, dropped repeatedly by Hunt (his feinted takedown into knee is one of the only tactics he pulls striking wise). Lost to Overeem, knocked out by Santos and Stipe. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, he always wades in with punches that get him countered and/or KO'd. The one thing he does well is that his BJJ is so good that he doesn't have to worry about getting taken down so he can kick without fear.

That doesn't make him a good striker, and it certainly doesn't make him a world class striker. Honestly his boxing isn't even as good as a guy like Frank Mir.

I was not praising his effectiveness or his ability, but praising the fact that he is not boring, and fights to please the crowd...

I dont care if a guy is the best martial artist, because I know martial arts. I want and pay to watch a show, not to watch boring fights, I praise fighters that entertain me even when winning by points.

I agree. But to be fair it looked like neither of them was really trying. They would just leave themselves open because no one would be KOed that night. It was just not a good performance.

Maybe if Tybura came stronger and more aggressively he could've won, but maybe Werdum would fight another fight, who knows.

I agree, he is awesome. I actually think on his A game he would have beaten Miocic. Best HW period.

I think that, while correct, you have to give some credit to Werdum.

Yes, he was opened and his hands were down and all you said above.
BUT...
Don't you think that Werdum assessed Tybura not to be a great thread which allowed him to take a more "sloppy" defense?
He knew he was winning, plus he got caught plenty of time.
So it seems he tasted Tybura's power and knew he could take it.

IMHO if this was someone like AO or Miocic, he would not allow himself to be so sloppy.

Back