Werdum fights beautifully

Ok im done with you, after "ring" and "Ronda" again i won't continue this shit, you're really stupid and a hater, welcome to ignore list.

Cry me a river, you've clearly never trained a day in your life.

Can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Stipe's inactivity fighting top guys is what gives him the current edge over Werdum imo. He has three recent years (2013, 2015, 2017) where he only fought once and only in the last two years or so was he facing really dangerous guys. He's probably the only good striker at HW with a reliable chin left. Think of his last three wins against strikers; they were Overeem, Arlovski, and JDS - all three have pretty severely deteriorated chins. Then, of course, the Werdum KO - and we all know Werdum can be chinny; rightfully so, he has like 100 fights and is 40.

The difference between Stipe and Werdum is that Stipe can put Werdum away early, Werdum cannot put Stipe away early. And I think that's entirely because of the difference in time spent fighting top HW's. Werdum, if his chin would let him, could win that fight if he got it into rounds 3 and on because of his style as a higher volume striker at HW. But Stipe's inactivity fighting top guys lets him be better than he would be if he had fought the same amount.

He fought last night like he did against Stipe. Probably even worse. Wading through with sloppy strikes and leaving himself open. Stipe 1st round KO.

I like Werdum etc but I think last nights fight was pretty weak to be honest. Dunno why, I just didn't get into it all that much. Maybe because some of the fights on the undercard were pretty great. I dunno, it just felt a lil stale.

He’s really hard to beat when he’s not overly aggressive or overly defensive.

Lol, the entire fight i was wondering if tybura learned to punch by watching youtube vids. I straight up think the girl fight before had more technucal striking
His striking has been super overrated for a while now. It's effective, but far from the technical mastery people claim.

Not suprised tybura didn't knock him out though. Despite being ko'd by stipe and jds werdum still has a solid chin and tybura is an arm puncher

I think that, while correct, you have to give some credit to Werdum.

Yes, he was opened and his hands were down and all you said above.
BUT...
Don't you think that Werdum assessed Tybura not to be a great thread which allowed him to take a more "sloppy" defense?
He knew he was winning, plus he got caught plenty of time.
So it seems he tasted Tybura's power and knew he could take it.

IMHO if this was someone like AO or Miocic, he would not allow himself to be so sloppy.
Yeah, I see what you´re saying and I was very happy for his victory, I´m a huge fan.

I don´t know if he thought Tybura wasn´t a great threat, but master Cordeiro is a very serious coach and wouldn´t allow Werdum to be sloppy if he had noticed anything.

Personally, I had a feeling that Werdum was too anxious to finish the fight as soon as possible with a KO or sub. He was saying that he would be next in line for the TS if he finished his fight in exciting fashion. We all know the winner of AO vs FN will get the next shot, but who knows, sometimes a draw happens.

Yeah, I see what you´re saying and I was very happy for his victory, I´m a huge fan.

I don´t know if he thought Tybura wasn´t a great threat, but master Cordeiro is a very serious coach and wouldn´t allow Werdum to be sloppy if he had noticed anything.

Personally, I had a feeling that Werdum was too anxious to finish the fight as soon as possible with a KO or sub. He was saying that he would be next in line for the TS if he finished his fight in exciting fashion. We all know the winner of AO vs FN will get the next shot, but who knows, sometimes a draw happens.

I think he tried too many times the thai clinch. he takes too long to hook his opponent's head, and they invariably throw a barrage of punches on his (unprotected) face...
And he was also somewhat predictable with his flying knee...

but overall, he showed not only that he had gas to go 5 hard fought rounds, but also that his chin is incredibly hard to crack.
This makes Miocic victory a lot more impressive IMO... But overall, i think he can take Miocic using his kicks and takedowns.

I think he tried too many times the thai clinch. he takes too long to hook his opponent's head, and they invariably throw a barrage of punches on his (unprotected) face...
And he was also somewhat predictable with his flying knee...

but overall, he showed not only that he had gas to go 5 hard fought rounds, but also that his chin is incredibly hard to crack.
This makes Miocic victory a lot more impressive IMO... But overall, i think he can take Miocic using his kicks and takedowns.
Yeah, he fell in love with that clinch but Tybura just shoved him away for the 3 first rounds before getting tired and starting to accept some of those clinches more often. I was very worried about Tybura's head kicks, but Werdum kept his guard up every time and defended all the kicks. I liked that part, that he protected well against those kicks.

This. He left a lot of openings tonight that a better striker could've taken advantage of. Still, he looked better tonight than in his second fight vs Browne. Outside of the flying kick and the punch he dropped Browne with, he looked absolutely awful in that fight (especially compared to his 1st performance vs a much more game Browne).
People forget how much of an inconsistent performer he can be. He can have 2 or 3 good fights and then an absolute stinker against a guy he should have destroyed.

he outstruck badly the 8th ranked HW, simple as that.. his striking is not very technical or suitable to more rigorous eyes but it works, it clearly does.

On paper it sounds good.. did you even watch the fight? that '8th ranked heavyweight' fought like absolute shit, with his arms down and put NO power into his punches. Wth...

On paper it sounds good.. did you even watch the fight? that '8th ranked heavyweight' fought like absolute shit, with his arms down and put NO power into his punches. Wth...
of course i did lol Tybura fought like he usually does, he's not a striker and he was tired after r3
yes he had power but only in first 2 rds, thing is he didn't connected at first half of the fight and also, what people don't seem to realize, is that Werdum's chin is fucking elite

of course i did lol Tybura fought like he usually does, he's not a striker and he was tired after r3
yes he had power but only in first 2 rds, thing is he didn't connected at first half of the fight and also, what people don't seem to realize, is that Werdum's chin is fucking elite

So what's your point..? Why is Werdum's striking being praised?? like you said, he was fighting someone who 'isn't a striker'... ????

You act like he has great striking, saying he 'outstriked the 8th ranked heavyweight", but then later state that he isn't a striker and threw nothing for half the fight... how is this any proof that Werdum is a good striker?

So what's your point..? Why is Werdum's striking being praised?? like you said, he was fighting someone who 'isn't a striker'... ????

You act like he has great striking, saying he 'outstriked the 8th ranked heavyweight", but then later state that he isn't a striker and threw nothing for half the fight... how is this any proof that Werdum is a good striker?
because he outclassed Tybura? landed much more and went full 5rd with like 5x strikes thrown by T Wood as a heavyweight? both aren't strikers, so one outclassing the other still impressive

Werdum has great striking to HW division, not only because he outclassed Tybura and avoided the power punches of Tybura for 2 rounds, but also because he dropped Overeem and had a reaaally close fight with him, KO'd Hunt and beat the shit of Cain using his superior clinch

This. He left a lot of openings tonight that a better striker could've taken advantage of. Still, he looked better tonight than in his second fight vs Browne. Outside of the flying kick and the punch he dropped Browne with, he looked absolutely awful in that fight (especially compared to his 1st performance vs a much more game Browne).

I disagree. He outstruck Browne with ease.

because he outclassed Tybura? landed much more and went full 5rd with like 5x strikes thrown by T Wood as a heavyweight? both aren't strikers, so one outclassing the other still impressive

Werdum has great striking to HW division, not only because he outclassed Tybura and avoided the power punches of Tybura for 2 rounds, but also because he dropped Overeem and had a reaaally close fight with him, KO'd Hunt and beat the shit of Cain using his superior clinch

Outclassed a non-striker and the guy was barley throwing power punches. Just surprised with this fight, you praise his striking... out of all his fights where he did much better with standup... you bring it up on this one. Werdum looked horrible; arms down, lunging forward (like to Stipe) just very sloppy striking.
I was actually surprised by how below average he looked in striking in this fight. The way Tybura came out, I thought, yeah, Werdum is gonna knock him out. I remember being really impressed by his standup against Cain, Browne, Hunt etc... but in this fight, like his knowledge of striking completely went out the window, or he aged overnight. He just didn't look good and I truly believe he would've been knocked out if he fought anyone else that night.
I don't think he has horrible striking... but for people to make a thread because of this fight, saying 'Werdum fights beautifully" just confuses me... out of all fights, this is not the one to make to prove a point.

But yeah, probs being too critical.. just honestly expected better from Werdum.

Hopefully his next fight is better :)

I´m a huge Werdum fan, but I´ll have to disagree with you here. Not taking anything away from Tybura, but I thought Werdum looked sloppy in his striking again and he left himself open too many times; he chased Tybura around a few times like he did agaisnt Stipe; he kept fainting punches to get close for the MT clinch (which wasn´t working like it worked against Cain), but at some point he was just telegraphing those strikes to get that clinch and was leaving himself exposed.

Well, a win is a win and maybe I´m being a little too critical of his performance, but I expected a more dominant win or a finish, and I saw some holes I didn´t like and I think that other better HW fighters may be able to capitalize and exploit it.

Agree 100% as I pointed out in other sunday threads. Spot on, sir.

Quickness is one of his rare HW attributes, but he can get too emotional. By age 40 he should consistently demonstrate greater emotional intelligence. He has some advanced technical skills but still makes amateur mistakes. If his coaches can iron those out, he can win the belt again. He is like Machida in his quickness but also his timidity. In tough fights he starts to fear the fighter (another emotional problem) and it ruins his game.

Back