Weird Feeling Pettis Is Gonna Beat Tony Ferguson

Seems like a lot of people feel Tony is rushing his return considering his injury. Its possible that will play a part in how this fight plays out.

I have no doubt Tony feels he's ready. Just hope his body agrees.

Seems like a lot of people feel Tony is rushing his return considering his injury. Its possible that will play a part in how this fight plays out.

I have no doubt Tony feels he's ready. Just hope his body agrees.
I feel like the first leg kick/kick to the knee (I feel Pettis will try to abuse that) will be a huge indicator for how Tony will be. He's an animal, I'd hate to see this become his downfall.

Pre-USADA RDA vs Post-USADA RDA. Can't even really compare the two.

And thanks.
Pre-USADA RDA and Post-USADA RDA are the exact same thing. Fantastic volume strikers that struggle that with pressure heavy wrestlers (Khabib and Covington). RDA looked fantastic against the bigger men in Saffedine, Magny and Lawler. He lost a hard fought 5 rounds at high altitude against another cardio machine in Tony Ferguson. Nothing has changed about his strength, physique or ridiculous cardio. A dude loses a few fights against elite competition and all of a sudden “he’s off the roids,” according to some of you guys. Accusations without proof are kind of lame.

Pre-USADA RDA and Post-USADA RDA are the exact same thing. Fantastic volume strikers that struggle that with pressure heavy wrestlers (Khabib and Covington). RDA looked fantastic against the bigger men in Saffedine, Magny and Lawler. He lost a hard fought 5 rounds at high altitude against another cardio machine in Tony Ferguson. Nothing has changed about his strength, physique or ridiculous cardio. A dude loses a few fights against elite competition and all of a sudden “he’s off the roids,” according to some of you guys. Accusations without proof are kind of lame.

People act like he's shit now, meanwhile he's become a top 5 welterweight, only losing a competitive fight to Covington since moving up.

He's clearly retained his steroid gains well after USADA, or at least knows how to properly micro dose without being caught.

of course pettis can win. Tony been in a lot close fights and overcomes adversity pretty regularly in fights and with the long lay off pettis has great chance. Still got my money on tony though.

I think too many people are picking Pettis, personally. He's def an underdog and Tony should be able to overwhelm and beat him. Sure, there are reasons to believe PEttis has a chance, but I think hes overrated as an underdog at the moment. I expect Tony to win by stoppage or lopsided decision as he puts the pace on and lands clean, showing off his chin as well. The big question mark is the injury recovery.

Pettis won his last fight though, so not surprising he's getting some underdog support. If this fight was after the Poirier fight, I doubt he'd be getting much support. Pretty predictable I guess.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Pettis. I've liked him since day 1 and never stopped. Always rooting for him to do well and shock.

Last edited:
Another thing I didn't touch on in the first post is that it's only 3 rounds. Ferguson usually shines in the 4th and 5th rounds due to his awesome cardio- he gets better as the fight goes on, and Pettis is the opposite, starts strong for first 3 then fades.

Tony was ahead on the scorecards against RDA after 3 rounds and if I re-call correctly he was also losing 2 rounds to 1 against Kevin Lee before getting the submission in the 4th
ufc-fight-night-scorecard-tony-ferguson-rafael-dos-anjos.jpg

Look guys on paper Ferguson is a much better fighter. Pettis used to be great but has looked on and off for several years now, losing most big fights hes been in. I like Pettis too but despite his more recent wins he's still not the same as he used to be- for whatever reason.

Ferguson has more ways to win and has beat higher level opponents... however...

I think he is far passed his prime in 2 ways... 1) Physically, he moves and reacts slower than he used to... He always leaves his chin up high and strikes in an unorthodox manner but I think (Like Anderson) it will catch up to him in this fight. We saw him get caught against Kevin Lee and Lando, and recover to win- but still, those shots wouldn't have landed a few years ago. He is now on the cusp of 35 and coming off a very bad knee injury.

2) His chin is weathered. It's still solid but I still remember some of the bombs he took in the Lando and Lee fights. He has shown to be vulnerable to unorthodox, unpredictable strikers with flashy styles/kicks (particularly basing this off Lando) which is something that Pettis also possesses.

Pettis gets shut down by strong wrestlers and superior pressure boxers. Tony is not necessarily either of those (but to be fair Tony doesn't really fit in any box). He's also used to being pressed against a cage and defending submissions.

Pettis is similar to Barboza. Great kicks, technique, TDD. He's not as fast, and doesn't have AS deadly leg kicks- but he makes up for that with better scrambles, sub defense and toughness (Pettis has an iron chin). He is susceptible to being pressured and backed up, and Tony is relentless- but doesn't necessarily possess 1 punch KO power or deadly fast boxing combos which is what threatened Pettis in the past.

Anyways, I know Pettis is an underdog, not sure if he'll ever make it back to the top 5 again, but this is his shot at the title. He is being handled Ferguson on a silver platter. Ferguson is highly ranked but it is a huge mystery which Tony shows up- the one who dominated RDA or the one who almost got KTFO by Lando.

TLDR- Weird feeling Pettis is going to beat Ferguson, a true come-from-behind story about an old champ getting into the top 5 again (kinda like when Arlovski went on a short run at Heavyweight before losing to Stipe and de-railing again)
Cliff Notes please.

Cliff Notes please.

Tony shines against orthodox and conveniental fighters. Struggles against unorthodox fighters.

Tony shines in the later rounds (4 and 5) he was down 2-1 on the scorecards against both RDA and Kevin Lee, his biggest wins. This is a 3 round fight.

Tony has been hurt badly by unorthodox strikers (such as Lando Vannata) and is starting to get old for the lightweight division. Also coming back after a very bad knee injury, and coming back soon relatively speaking.

I think tony is a top 5 and beats most of the top 10 but for some reason feel like Pettis is a bad matchup for him and will pull off the upset

I've lost faith in Pettis and it makes me feel like a traitor.

Could be, both are weird strikers with good ground game but not really the type to take the other guy down, more like the type that is happy to fight off their backs, cant wait for this card to start.

No fight is 100% and anyone can win. Now is best time ever to best ferg. Serious injury/surgery. Lay off. Rushed back. 3rds. etc. Not a bad bet at +450-400.

Tony is a fucken barbarian I dont think Pettis could handle in any state tho. Maybe missing two knees I'd give even odds. He's also bigger, longer reach, better cardio, better pace and ferocity, and better pretty much everywhere and should break pettis eventually like all the rest.

Last edited:
Even with that long win streak, people seem to be forgetting that Tony was almost finished by Lando and Lee. Pettis can absolutely do the same.

I have the same feeling. Showtime's striking is simply much more crisp. I think Ferg either pressures Showtime to a decision or Showtime lands something clean and changes the trajectory of the fight.

Same.

Pettis is looking very very confident. Pettis knows how to scramble on the ground as well. Lets see who can throw up subs faster. Lol.

Look guys on paper Ferguson is a much better fighter. Pettis used to be great but has looked on and off for several years now, losing most big fights hes been in. I like Pettis too but despite his more recent wins he's still not the same as he used to be- for whatever reason.

Ferguson has more ways to win and has beat higher level opponents... however...

I think he is far passed his prime in 2 ways... 1) Physically, he moves and reacts slower than he used to... He always leaves his chin up high and strikes in an unorthodox manner but I think (Like Anderson) it will catch up to him in this fight. We saw him get caught against Kevin Lee and Lando, and recover to win- but still, those shots wouldn't have landed a few years ago. He is now on the cusp of 35 and coming off a very bad knee injury.

2) His chin is weathered. It's still solid but I still remember some of the bombs he took in the Lando and Lee fights. He has shown to be vulnerable to unorthodox, unpredictable strikers with flashy styles/kicks (particularly basing this off Lando) which is something that Pettis also possesses.

Pettis gets shut down by strong wrestlers and superior pressure boxers. Tony is not necessarily either of those (but to be fair Tony doesn't really fit in any box). He's also used to being pressed against a cage and defending submissions.

Pettis is similar to Barboza. Great kicks, technique, TDD. He's not as fast, and doesn't have AS deadly leg kicks- but he makes up for that with better scrambles, sub defense and toughness (Pettis has an iron chin). He is susceptible to being pressured and backed up, and Tony is relentless- but doesn't necessarily possess 1 punch KO power or deadly fast boxing combos which is what threatened Pettis in the past.

Anyways, I know Pettis is an underdog, not sure if he'll ever make it back to the top 5 again, but this is his shot at the title. He is being handled Ferguson on a silver platter. Ferguson is highly ranked but it is a huge mystery which Tony shows up- the one who dominated RDA or the one who almost got KTFO by Lando.

TLDR- Weird feeling Pettis is going to beat Ferguson, a true come-from-behind story about an old champ getting into the top 5 again (kinda like when Arlovski went on a short run at Heavyweight before losing to Stipe and de-railing again)

This fight will look alot like the Holloway/Pettis fight

I think Pettis has great striking and Tony always seems hittable but I just dont think Pettis has enough to put Tony away.

In Pettis last 9 he has only beat Milendez, Oliviera, Miller and Chiesa who are all average fighters with no wins against the divisions elite.

I have the same feeling brother. I had that same feeling about Bisping vs Rockhold 2 and Cejudo vs Demetrious 2.

If Lando can drop Ferguson, so can Pettis.

Back