Weird Feeling Pettis Is Gonna Beat Tony Ferguson

ironball

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Look guys on paper Ferguson is a much better fighter. Pettis used to be great but has looked on and off for several years now, losing most big fights hes been in. I like Pettis too but despite his more recent wins he's still not the same as he used to be- for whatever reason.

Ferguson has more ways to win and has beat higher level opponents... however...

I think he is far passed his prime in 2 ways... 1) Physically, he moves and reacts slower than he used to... He always leaves his chin up high and strikes in an unorthodox manner but I think (Like Anderson) it will catch up to him in this fight. We saw him get caught against Kevin Lee and Lando, and recover to win- but still, those shots wouldn't have landed a few years ago. He is now on the cusp of 35 and coming off a very bad knee injury.

2) His chin is weathered. It's still solid but I still remember some of the bombs he took in the Lando and Lee fights. He has shown to be vulnerable to unorthodox, unpredictable strikers with flashy styles/kicks (particularly basing this off Lando) which is something that Pettis also possesses.

Pettis gets shut down by strong wrestlers and superior pressure boxers. Tony is not necessarily either of those (but to be fair Tony doesn't really fit in any box). He's also used to being pressed against a cage and defending submissions.

Pettis is similar to Barboza. Great kicks, technique, TDD. He's not as fast, and doesn't have AS deadly leg kicks- but he makes up for that with better scrambles, sub defense and toughness (Pettis has an iron chin). He is susceptible to being pressured and backed up, and Tony is relentless- but doesn't necessarily possess 1 punch KO power or deadly fast boxing combos which is what threatened Pettis in the past.

Anyways, I know Pettis is an underdog, not sure if he'll ever make it back to the top 5 again, but this is his shot at the title. He is being handled Ferguson on a silver platter. Ferguson is highly ranked but it is a huge mystery which Tony shows up- the one who dominated RDA or the one who almost got KTFO by Lando.

TLDR- Weird feeling Pettis is going to beat Ferguson, a true come-from-behind story about an old champ getting into the top 5 again (kinda like when Arlovski went on a short run at Heavyweight before losing to Stipe and de-railing again)

Last edited:
Tony is weird enough to get beat by the lamest dude in the top 10

He looked pretty good last outing Tony was just hitting his stride before hitting cabling though so could be interesting

Tony is hittable and Pettis hits hard

With that said, Pettis has trouble with pressure, and Tony is relentless

Should be a fun fight either way

It's a fight between two high level guys. It's 50/50

Ferguson isn't "supposed" to win just because

I get that feeling too, even though Ferguson is a tough style match up for Pettis.

Vanatta almost KO'd Ferguson with a high kick and that's Pettis's specialty. He could also hurt him with a punch coming in since Ferguson tends to leave himself open.

Could be an upset, hard to say.

I have a weird feeling about this fight too but im not sure what it means.

Tony being out recovering and the possibility of a proper Pettis showing up could spell upset.

Cable cracked dat Ferg chin. Wheaties will make the day.

It would be funnier if both Conor and Tony pulled out and Anthony Pettis beat Khabib for the belt.

Thia is gona be a good fight, if tonys pressure dont overwhelm Pettis he could very well win.

It's strange because Pettis usually loses to smothering wrestlers, and Tony doesn't ever do that. They both enjoy fighting in striking distance and grappling only. It's literally the dream matchup for both guys.

It depends on which version of Pettis shows up. The best version of Pettis beats the best version of Ferguson.

You do bring up some good points about age and surgery, this will be a factor but i dont know it depends what Tony we will get. But Pettis has shown elite level BJJ against guys like Oliveira, Pettis and more very underrated on the ground.

It depends on which version of Pettis shows up. The best version of Pettis beats the best version of Ferguson.
No. He doesn't. Watch Pettis vs RDA then watch Tony vs RDA then go slap yourself. Only reason this fight is competitive is because Tony is coming off gruesome injury and it's 3 rounds. It's a bad style matchup for Tony No Bet for me.

Of all elite lightweights, Pettis has a better chance of beating Ferguson than most of the others. But I'm guessing Pettis loses in an awesome fight. Ferguson's pressure will be too much on the feet, and the grappling exchanges will be incredible but I think Ferguson will pull ahead slightly there.

I wouldn't use Pettis win over Chiesa cloud your judgement. Kevin Lee submitted Chiesa with ease, and Tony beat Kevin Lee. Pettis is going to either get finished via gnp or sub or lose a 5 round decision.

Look guys on paper Ferguson is a much better fighter. Pettis used to be great but has looked on and off for several years now, losing most big fights hes been in. I like Pettis too but despite his more recent wins he's still not the same as he used to be- for whatever reason.

Ferguson has more ways to win and has beat higher level opponents... however...

I think he is far passed his prime in 2 ways... 1) Physically, he moves and reacts slower than he used to... He always leaves his chin up high and strikes in an unorthodox manner but I think (Like Anderson) it will catch up to him in this fight. We saw him get caught against Kevin Lee and Lando, and recover to win- but still, those shots wouldn't have landed a few years ago. He is now on the cusp of 35 and coming off a very bad knee injury.

2) His chin is weathered. It's still solid but I still remember some of the bombs he took in the Lando and Lee fights. He has shown to be vulnerable to unorthodox, unpredictable strikers with flashy styles/kicks (particularly basing this off Lando) which is something that Pettis also possesses.

Pettis gets shut down by strong wrestlers and superior pressure boxers. Tony is not necessarily either of those (but to be fair Tony doesn't really fit in any box). He's also used to being pressed against a cage and defending submissions.

Pettis is similar to Barboza. Great kicks, technique, TDD. He's not as fast, and doesn't have AS deadly leg kicks- but he makes up for that with better scrambles, sub defense and toughness (Pettis has an iron chin). He is susceptible to being pressured and backed up, and Tony is relentless- but doesn't necessarily possess 1 punch KO power or deadly fast boxing combos which is what threatened Pettis in the past.

Anyways, I know Pettis is an underdog, not sure if he'll ever make it back to the top 5 again, but this is his shot at the title. He is being handled Ferguson on a silver platter. Ferguson is highly ranked but it is a huge mystery which Tony shows up- the one who dominated RDA or the one who almost got KTFO by Lando.

TLDR- Weird feeling Pettis is going to beat Ferguson, a true come-from-behind story about an old champ getting into the top 5 again (kinda like when Arlovski went on a short run at Heavyweight before losing to Stipe and de-railing again)
If Pettis wins I'll cut off my dick

Back