Weird Feeling Pettis Is Gonna Beat Tony Ferguson

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ironball, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ironball

ironball Brown Belt

Look guys on paper Ferguson is a much better fighter. Pettis used to be great but has looked on and off for several years now, losing most big fights hes been in. I like Pettis too but despite his more recent wins he's still not the same as he used to be- for whatever reason.

Ferguson has more ways to win and has beat higher level opponents... however...

I think he is far passed his prime in 2 ways... 1) Physically, he moves and reacts slower than he used to... He always leaves his chin up high and strikes in an unorthodox manner but I think (Like Anderson) it will catch up to him in this fight. We saw him get caught against Kevin Lee and Lando, and recover to win- but still, those shots wouldn't have landed a few years ago. He is now on the cusp of 35 and coming off a very bad knee injury.

2) His chin is weathered. It's still solid but I still remember some of the bombs he took in the Lando and Lee fights. He has shown to be vulnerable to unorthodox, unpredictable strikers with flashy styles/kicks (particularly basing this off Lando) which is something that Pettis also possesses.

Pettis gets shut down by strong wrestlers and superior pressure boxers. Tony is not necessarily either of those (but to be fair Tony doesn't really fit in any box). He's also used to being pressed against a cage and defending submissions.

Pettis is similar to Barboza. Great kicks, technique, TDD. He's not as fast, and doesn't have AS deadly leg kicks- but he makes up for that with better scrambles, sub defense and toughness (Pettis has an iron chin). He is susceptible to being pressured and backed up, and Tony is relentless- but doesn't necessarily possess 1 punch KO power or deadly fast boxing combos which is what threatened Pettis in the past.

Anyways, I know Pettis is an underdog, not sure if he'll ever make it back to the top 5 again, but this is his shot at the title. He is being handled Ferguson on a silver platter. Ferguson is highly ranked but it is a huge mystery which Tony shows up- the one who dominated RDA or the one who almost got KTFO by Lando.

TLDR- Weird feeling Pettis is going to beat Ferguson, a true come-from-behind story about an old champ getting into the top 5 again (kinda like when Arlovski went on a short run at Heavyweight before losing to Stipe and de-railing again)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  2. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Gold Belt

Tony is weird enough to get beat by the lamest dude in the top 10

3. Griff319

Griff319 White Belt

He looked pretty good last outing Tony was just hitting his stride before hitting cabling though so could be interesting

4. ironball

ironball Brown Belt

Yup that basically sums it up. Guy could handle everybody else but lose to one awkward style of fighter

FlowchartRog and Arm Barbarian like this.
  5. Sole

Sole Sole Calibur

Tony is hittable and Pettis hits hard

With that said, Pettis has trouble with pressure, and Tony is relentless

Should be a fun fight either way

6. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

It's a fight between two high level guys. It's 50/50

Ferguson isn't "supposed" to win just because

7. blacknblue104

blacknblue104 Orange Belt

I get that feeling too, even though Ferguson is a tough style match up for Pettis.

Vanatta almost KO'd Ferguson with a high kick and that's Pettis's specialty. He could also hurt him with a punch coming in since Ferguson tends to leave himself open.

Could be an upset, hard to say.

8. trident

trident Water Belt Yellow Card

I have a weird feeling about this fight too but im not sure what it means.

Tony being out recovering and the possibility of a proper Pettis showing up could spell upset.

Morris88 and YOLOGOGOPLATA like this.
  9. Randlewand

Randlewand Orange Belt

Cable cracked dat Ferg chin. Wheaties will make the day.

Skirm likes this.
  10. Sir Punchalot

Sir Punchalot Red Belt

It would be funnier if both Conor and Tony pulled out and Anthony Pettis beat Khabib for the belt.

11. Herwald

Herwald Purple Belt

Pettis has an aura about him where it feels like he's going up and is willing to go for broke. Whereas Tony's knee fragility is questionable and he has the most to lose (rankings, winning streak, title shot).

So, yeah, a year ago I'd say Tony steamrolls Pettis, but there's a dodgy feeling I have about the current situation. I'm sill picking Tony. Until he looks bad, I'll choose to believe he's his usual self.

12. Shoguns Prodigy**

Shoguns Prodigy** Brown Belt

Thia is gona be a good fight, if tonys pressure dont overwhelm Pettis he could very well win.

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  13. Fatback96

Fatback96 Purple Belt

It's strange because Pettis usually loses to smothering wrestlers, and Tony doesn't ever do that. They both enjoy fighting in striking distance and grappling only. It's literally the dream matchup for both guys.

14. ohayou gozaimasu

ohayou gozaimasu Purple Belt Platinum Member

It depends on which version of Pettis shows up. The best version of Pettis beats the best version of Ferguson.

15. LaylaThePitBuLL

LaylaThePitBuLL P ☆ I ☆ T ☆ B ☆ U ☆ L ☆ L ☆ S

Pettis will rock and choke out Tony

And I'm not even a Pettis fan

Naught2Sixty likes this.
  16. Anaconda99

Anaconda99 Orange Belt

You do bring up some good points about age and surgery, this will be a factor but i dont know it depends what Tony we will get. But Pettis has shown elite level BJJ against guys like Oliveira, Pettis and more very underrated on the ground.

17. Lord Toranaga

Lord Toranaga Brown Belt

No. He doesn't. Watch Pettis vs RDA then watch Tony vs RDA then go slap yourself. Only reason this fight is competitive is because Tony is coming off gruesome injury and it's 3 rounds. It's a bad style matchup for Tony No Bet for me.

TripTictonic and Arm Barbarian like this.
  18. Huligani

Huligani Number One Bullshit

Of all elite lightweights, Pettis has a better chance of beating Ferguson than most of the others. But I'm guessing Pettis loses in an awesome fight. Ferguson's pressure will be too much on the feet, and the grappling exchanges will be incredible but I think Ferguson will pull ahead slightly there.

19. IDGETKTFO

IDGETKTFO White Belt

I wouldn't use Pettis win over Chiesa cloud your judgement. Kevin Lee submitted Chiesa with ease, and Tony beat Kevin Lee. Pettis is going to either get finished via gnp or sub or lose a 5 round decision.

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  20. ohayou gozaimasu

ohayou gozaimasu Purple Belt Platinum Member

Pre-USADA RDA vs Post-USADA RDA. Can't even really compare the two.

And thanks.