Weird Feeling Pettis Is Gonna Beat Tony Ferguson

Pettis is younger than Ferg. Hard to believe since Pettis' famous cage kick and win vs. Bendo was a LONG time ago. But Pettis was only like 19.

Pettis is learning a new techinque called the "cable calf kick", to simulate a cable hidden under a chair. I got that same feeling, TS.

In all seriousness, this is probably a closer fight than most people think. We saw Tony get rocked by a similar striker in his fight against Lando. If Pettis delivers some showtime to counteract Tony's tazmanian devil style, then it will be interesting...both have sneaky subs too, so it could go either way on the ground too. I'm hyped for this fight either way.

UFC229 Results:
Pettis def Ferguson by TKO rd1
Khabib and McGregor majority draw

I'd be down for Pettis/Conor after this.

Tony is weird enough to get beat by the lamest dude in the top 10

Lamest dude in the Top 10? You really don't like Pettis, huh? This guy in your Av isn't the guy who torched Pettis' car, is it?

464349.jpg

https://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story...-in-suspected-arson-attack-at-his-home-102716

No. He doesn't. Watch Pettis vs RDA then watch Tony vs RDA then go slap yourself. Only reason this fight is competitive is because Tony is coming off gruesome injury and it's 3 rounds. It's a bad style matchup for Tony No Bet for me.

The Pettis that fought Gil, Bendo, or Cowboy is a better fighter than any Tony we've seen yet.

I had the same feeling awhile back, although its kind of regressed a bit. My feeling mostly flowed from intuition based on the fact that:

A. I get the feeling that Conor vs Tony just isn't meant to happen

B. Usually when someone starts losing pretty often and can't seem to put together more than a one fight win streak at a time, it's only a matter of time before they eventually win at least two in a row again. That pretty much describes Pettis right now: Since 2014, he's lost three in a row, then won one, then lost one, won one, lost one, won one... And I have the feeling it might be time for him to finally win two in a row again. That means beating Tony. I'm rooting against him, but I'm not writing him off either.

The Pettis that fought Gil, Bendo, or Cowboy is a better fighter than any Tony we've seen yet.
Then USADA came. Pettis has looked great recently he didnt blow the doors off do bronx that was a tough fight but he looked good saw him live vs chiesa he looked great but Chiesa has looked awful lately and I don't take subs from guard all that seriously at the highest level. His hips are amazing I'll give Pettis that much. Hes just not physical enough and has no power. Also wins over Cowboy mean nothing to me.

Look guys on paper Ferguson is a much better fighter. Pettis used to be great but has looked on and off for several years now, losing most big fights hes been in. I like Pettis too but despite his more recent wins he's still not the same as he used to be- for whatever reason.

Ferguson has more ways to win and has beat higher level opponents... however...

I think he is far passed his prime in 2 ways... 1) Physically, he moves and reacts slower than he used to... He always leaves his chin up high and strikes in an unorthodox manner but I think (Like Anderson) it will catch up to him in this fight. We saw him get caught against Kevin Lee and Lando, and recover to win- but still, those shots wouldn't have landed a few years ago. He is now on the cusp of 35 and coming off a very bad knee injury.

2) His chin is weathered. It's still solid but I still remember some of the bombs he took in the Lando and Lee fights. He has shown to be vulnerable to unorthodox, unpredictable strikers with flashy styles/kicks (particularly basing this off Lando) which is something that Pettis also possesses.

Pettis gets shut down by strong wrestlers and superior pressure boxers. Tony is not necessarily either of those (but to be fair Tony doesn't really fit in any box). He's also used to being pressed against a cage and defending submissions.

Pettis is similar to Barboza. Great kicks, technique, TDD. He's not as fast, and doesn't have AS deadly leg kicks- but he makes up for that with better scrambles, sub defense and toughness (Pettis has an iron chin). He is susceptible to being pressured and backed up, and Tony is relentless- but doesn't necessarily possess 1 punch KO power or deadly fast boxing combos which is what threatened Pettis in the past.

Anyways, I know Pettis is an underdog, not sure if he'll ever make it back to the top 5 again, but this is his shot at the title. He is being handled Ferguson on a silver platter. Ferguson is highly ranked but it is a huge mystery which Tony shows up- the one who dominated RDA or the one who almost got KTFO by Lando.

TLDR- Weird feeling Pettis is going to beat Ferguson, a true come-from-behind story about an old champ getting into the top 5 again (kinda like when Arlovski went on a short run at Heavyweight before losing to Stipe and de-railing again)
I get what you are saying with Pettis struggling with pressure boxers and wrestlers. However what I don't get though is how a pressure fighter is literally about to fight Pettis and you shut it down because Tony doesn't "box". Dude dials it to 11 every time he is in the in the Octagon. He even out pressured and out cardio'd RDA in Mexico.. I think Pettis will be in for a long 5 rounds if Tony doesn't finish him. (Not sure if its 5 from co main or not) even in 3 I think he wins. His chin always seemed suspect though, he just has some tough recovery. People have a hard time putting him out with 1 shot.

Charlie like paint, and cats, and smashing rats. No way he would torch a car.

Oh yeah, forgot about Always Sunny. Maybe he thought Pettis was the Phillie Phanatic so he torched his cars.

On paper Ferguson is not a much better fighter, Pettis is a former WEC and UFC LW champion.

And his fight with Ferguson could go either way, Ferguson is on a great run of wins, but a lot of those win were close fights, he's very beatable.

I think Pettis matches up well with Cucuy. I think he has the advantage on the feet. Pettis weakness and IDK why he or his team not try to correct it is he just usually gives up and does nothing about being pressured and leaned on the fence which tends to him getting taken down and tired

Honestly the biggest thing if you're an opponent of Ferguson is to know that what works on most other people won't work on him. He's so unorthodox and you have to adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Back