Weight loss/fitness gurus chime in

Yea I like the spinach and nuts because of the fiber content. Used to love peas but they are carby as shit.

Why do you say 30 a day?

I was amazed when I learned that an excess amount of protein can turn into glucose.

Our bodies just have to hang onto every little morsel (bangs head against wall)

I only drink water now because other drinks just have too many calories and I'd rather have real food for those calories. Plus water is just the best for you.

Where do you like to get your electrolytes and potassium from? Mine would be fish and avocado but I dont know anywhere to get electrolytes from besides Gatorade lol

30 g is a good limit for not breaking ketosis. Personally, I've been able to remain in ketosis with 50ish g, but I also lift weights 6-7 days a week, so I'm assuming the carbs get vaporized and have no effect on my ketosis.

Yes, protein is 50ish % anti-ketogenic, and some of it will be converted to glucose, so don't go overboard on the protein intake. For reference, carbohydrate is 100% anti-ketogenic and fat is 10% anti-ketogenic.

I get my electrolytes from primarily from broths, supplements, Powerade Zero (sugar free) and Electrolit, an electrolytic drink that's only available here in Mexico.

That's an extremely low calorie diet that as others have mentioned is not sustainable in the long term.

Aim for about 1 lb of weight loss per week, or 4 lbs per month. As your weight gets lower, this will trickle down to about 2 lbs a month. Thats about as much fat our bodies can lose without metabolising lean body mass (which you wanna hang on to).

Also, I would not recommend huge deficits from your maintenance calories. Slowly reduce the cals by as much as 200 per day till you hit a deficit of 500. Try to get the rest of your deficit from your workouts (a mixture of strength / hypertrophy work, some LISS recovery work and maybe a little HIT if you're so inclined, though since your on keto I don't know if that's a good idea). Run the diet till you lose weight at the above mentioned rate. When you stop losing weight, reassess what you've been doing. If everything is on point ie. your training, sleep, recovery work, stress levels etc then you can go ahead and cut a couple of hundred more calories but thats it.

Also, depending on your stats, you might have to cycle bulking to up your LBM, and increase your basal metabolic rate which will help you cut more weight in turn without becoming malnourished.

The key is to let the process take its time and not to force an arbitrary deadline. That's ass backwards logic, and doesnt vibe well with the human body.

All the best!

Just say fuck it

gallery-1455900138-img-2430-3-1024x1024.jpg

giphy.gif

1500 calories sounds way too low! What's gonna happen when you start eating normally? You can't eat 1500 cals forever.

I lost 20lbs over rougly 3 months last summer by mostly sticking to the bulletproof diet and working out 5 days a week (mostly cardio), didn't count any calories or ever feel hungry mostly ate meat (chicken, turkey, bacon, steak), loads of veg, fruit, eggs, brown rice, natural yoghurt and snacked on nuts, fruits and dark chocolate between meals and maybe every other weekend I'd have a pizza or burger and fries.

Also got sunburnt.

elQT1kH.jpg

That's an extremely low calorie diet that as others have mentioned is not sustainable in the long term.

Aim for about 1 lb of weight loss per week, or 4 lbs per month. As your weight gets lower, this will trickle down to about 2 lbs a month. Thats about as much fat our bodies can lose without metabolising lean body mass (which you wanna hang on to).

Also, I would not recommend huge deficits from your maintenance calories. Slowly reduce the cals by as much as 200 per day till you hit a deficit of 500. Try to get the rest of your deficit from your workouts (a mixture of strength / hypertrophy work, some LISS recovery work and maybe a little HIT if you're so inclined, though since your on keto I don't know if that's a good idea). Run the diet till you lose weight at the above mentioned rate. When you stop losing weight, reassess what you've been doing. If everything is on point ie. your training, sleep, recovery work, stress levels etc then you can go ahead and cut a couple of hundred more calories but thats it.

Also, depending on your stats, you might have to cycle bulking to up your LBM, and increase your basal metabolic rate which will help you cut more weight in turn without becoming malnourished.

The key is to let the process take its time and not to force an arbitrary deadline. That's ass backwards logic, and doesnt vibe well with the human body.

All the best!

1500 calories sounds way too low! What's gonna happen when you start eating normally? You can't eat 1500 cals forever.

I lost 20lbs over rougly 3 months last summer by mostly sticking to the bulletproof diet and working out 5 days a week (mostly cardio), didn't count any calories or ever feel hungry mostly ate meat (chicken, turkey, bacon, steak), loads of veg, fruit, eggs, brown rice, natural yoghurt and snacked on nuts, fruits and dark chocolate between meals and maybe every other weekend I'd have a pizza or burger and fries.

Also got sunburnt.

I only eat dinner as my job doesn't really allow for the traditional 3 meal day. My breakfast and lunch are coffee with some coconut oil and sugar free creamer.

If my basal meta rate is 2000 I don't see 1500 as being that restrictive?

And doesn't it take at least a few days without eating for the body to start metabolizing muscle rather than fat?

Last edited:
I only eat dinner as my job doesn't really allow for the traditional 3 meal day. My breakfast and lunch are coffee with some coconut oil and sugar free creamer.

If my basal meta rate is 2000 I don't see 1500 as being that restrictive?

And doesn't it take at least a few days without eating for the body to start metabolizing muscle rather than fat?

Then I suggest you look into intermittent fasting. I have never done it, but alot of ppl have reported success off of it.

But yeah 1500 cals seems way too less.... As a smaller guy myself, Im about 63kgs (around 138lbs) / 5'6'' and I eat over 2000 cals a day and I don't gain any weight.

My body fat % is in the low teens, maybe lower. I lost about 20 lbs of body fat in a period of 6 months to get to my current physique.

Again, my point is I've never eaten as less as 1500 cals in my life and I've lost weight just fine. Going very low on cals doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose the weight faster. Your body reacts to drastically low calorie intake with hormonal changes that puts you in survival mode. I don't remember the literature on the subject word for word but basically your body will start metabolising muscle instead of fat since it deems muscle less necessary for survival. You'll lose weight but you'll basically become skinny fat.

Again the above is the worst case scenario. I don't know your stats, your height or build so I can't be sure. I'm just not a fan of restricting your diet so low. Its no way to live.

Then I suggest you look into intermittent fasting. I have never done it, but alot of ppl have reported success off of it.

But yeah 1500 cals seems way too less.... As a smaller guy myself, Im about 63kgs (around 138lbs) / 5'6'' and I eat over 2000 cals a day and I don't gain any weight.

My body fat % is in the low teens, maybe lower. I lost about 20 lbs of body fat in a period of 6 months to get to my current physique.

Again, my point is I've never eaten as less as 1500 cals in my life and I've lost weight just fine. Going very low on cals doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose the weight faster. Your body reacts to drastically low calorie intake with hormonal changes that puts you in survival mode. I don't remember the literature on the subject word for word but basically your body will start metabolising muscle instead of fat since it deems muscle less necessary for survival. You'll lose weight but you'll basically become skinny fat.

Again the above is the worst case scenario. I don't know your stats, your height or build so I can't be sure. I'm just not a fan of restricting your diet so low. Its no way to live.

I do intermittent fasting with only one meal a day.

I have researched a lot about it and it appears that you'd have to go without food for more than 3 to 4 days to begin catabolizing muscle but I could be wrong and it could be different for each person.

Just don't lift too much or you'll find yourself dreaming about banging dudes.

There are keto subs on reddit that have a LOT of information

You really have two choices if you hit a plateau: Increase your activity level or decrease your calories.

A while back I found myself weighing about 174 pounds (at 5'6"). I ended up losing exactly 30 pounds, to get down to 144. At the beginning, I was losing weight at a good rate working out 3x a week and eating 2000 calories. By the end in order to maintain any progress I was working out 5x a week and eating 1200 cals a day.

Those last 5 pounds were really stubborn.

Back