Weed is harder to quit than alcohol - Jon Jones

Well I can drink beer or cider now and again but I can't touch spirits, they were what really did me in, vodka in particular.
After all the seizures and three shoulder operations I really tested my luck.

I also have a friend who's had alcohol issues and her doctor actually told her to keep drinking each day until they could get her into a detox facility.
And that sounds crazy to some people, doctors actually advising you not to stop!

That's pretty rough man, glad to can enjoy a brew nowadays without consequence. I have heard, like you said earlier, that alcohol causes reverse tolerance if you get too far into it. I've seen some guys who get drunk off 2 beers, real drunk.

When I went to the hospital, my doctor knew I was a big drinker so they gave me benzos, which act on GABA similarly to alcohol, to avoid withdrawals. Most people don't know any of the mechanics of drugs though, thanks to piss poor drug education.

Alcohol doesn't cause withdrawals? That is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. You can literally die from alcohol withdrawals.

I drink about 5 cups a day and I sleep like a baby.

Black or black with sugar, no milk
This is me, except I don't use sugar. Coffee gets me through the day but I never have trouble sleeping.

Alcohol doesn't cause withdrawals? That is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard. You can literally die from alcohol withdrawals.

it takes a long time to get addicted to alchohol. and some people drink heavy and just don't become alcholics. Ive drank heavy for long periods of time, I know plenty of people who drink heavy and don't become alcoholics. I do however know people who drank comparable amounts to me and others and become alcoholics. So is it genetics? I don't know. But I do know that there is a mental trigger to alcohol abuse, just like any other drug, regardless if it is physically addictive or not. most people here are 30 and younger. To all you people, how many of your friends have been drinking forever, and havent become alcoholics? Now how many of your friends started doing uppers/downers or even marijuana and spend all of their cash on those things? Maybe everyone's experience is different.

This is me, except I don't use sugar. Coffee gets me through the day but I never have trouble sleeping.
Coffee does nothing for me in terms of a stimulant, at least not on any perceivable level.

I drink it out of habit, and because it helps with my morning Sir Harrington.

it takes a long time to get addicted to alchohol. and some people drink heavy and just don't become alcholics. Ive drank heavy for long periods of time, I know plenty of people who drink heavy and don't become alcoholics. I do however know people who drank comparable amounts to me and others and become alcoholics. So is it genetics? I don't know. But I do know that there is a mental trigger to alcohol abuse, just like any other drug, regardless if it is physically addictive or not. most people here are 30 and younger. To all you people, how many of your friends have been drinking forever, and havent become alcoholics? Now how many of your friends started doing uppers/downers or even marijuana and spend all of their cash on those things? Maybe everyone's experience is different.

It's multifactorial to say the least, genetics plays a part in it, mental health, stress levels, personal relationship with the vice, why you started, how long you've done it, what circumstances you do it under, relationships to other drugs, your gender. Everyone's different

That's a great post. I don't have such a bleak view of humanity that I think massive numbers of people are just mentally weak. That is a lazy argument. It's too big of a problem, all around the world and throughout history, to dismiss so trivially.

Even if someone being "mentally weak" or prone to being an addict has a large part to play in their addiction it doesn't mean it should be taken less seriously because there will be many people equal mindsets and they are still humans.

Weed addiction isn't some black and white picture though and a large number of things have to happen to put a person in that situation. A once a week smoker that started when they were 20 probably won't get addicted to the extent they struggle to stop, or an ex-opiate addict going to a lesser addiction (weed) means that person has been through huge withdrawl and looks at weed as an easy thing to quit because they been through so much already.

But someone that has smoked weed since a young age, been surrounded in that culture and not experienced hard-drug withdrawl will have huge difficulty stopping when they are an adult.

Weed can be hugely beneficial though too, it's about treating it with the respect it requires imo

Even if someone being "mentally weak" or prone to being an addict has a large part to play in their addiction it doesn't mean it should be taken less seriously because there will be many people equal mindsets and they are still humans.

Weed addiction isn't some black and white picture though and a large number of things have to happen to put a person in that situation. A once a week smoker that started when they were 20 probably won't get addicted to the extent they struggle to stop, or an ex-opiate addict going to a lesser addiction means that person has been through huge withdrawl and looks at weed as an easy thing to quit because they been through so much already.

But someone that has smoked weed since a young age, been surrounded in that culture and not experienced hard-drug withdrawl will have huge difficulty stopping when they are an adult.

Another great post Inverse.

For me, both my parents smoked weed, were alcoholics, and smoked cigarettes too. It was normal for me to get into that scene. For someone who grew up without that shit to tell me I am mentally weak for thinking it was okay is frankly ridiculous.

Just people who have never been on drinking binges and come off them.... I'm one of them but I know damn well how badly that would fuck you up. Introduce a lot of anything into your system and then take it away you're gonna feel some shit.

Yet he says he's going to keep drinking occasionally. Hmmmmm, I don't know man.

Another great post Inverse.

For me, both my parents smoked weed, were alcoholics, and smoked cigarettes too. It was normal for me to get into that scene. For someone who grew up without that shit to tell me I am mentally weak for thinking it was okay is frankly ridiculous.

Because of your environment you were very prone to these things indeed, when you are a teenager or child your mind is very susceptible to influence, whether it be direct or indirect. I must say I too have struggled with nicotine, alcohol and THC since I was 14.

People find it easier to paint people with the same brush. It's easy to look at someone that smokes all day and call them weak willed because in the mind of the "attacker" - the smoker quitting wouldn't be harder than an alcoholic quitting alcohol but why is there a comparison? The user doesn't know what being a true alcoholic is like so that analogy means nothing, addiction isn't a competition. A person can only experience one reality and in their reality that is the hardest long-term addiction they have ever had to break, thus making it very hard - especially after failing previously. Addiction is personal and thus so are a lot of its properties.

At the end of the day, people are so complex and using some simplistic language to describe advanced behavioral problems caused by internal and external influence with each case having different origins that aren't yet fully understood will never come close to truly describing what is happening. Maybe with a full 200 page report they can start having a point :)

Addiction can be overcome of course but you need to be dedicated to your cause. I mean shit, I'm currently a smoker - I struggle to stay off it perma because I end up forgetting why I quit in the 1t place, but I'm not ignorant to what has happened to put me here or what I can do to get out but it's not easy.

Because of your environment you were very prone to these things indeed, when you are a teenager or child your mind is very susceptible to influence, whether it be direct or indirect. I must say I too have struggled with nicotine, alcohol and THC since I was 14.

People find it easier to paint people with the same brush. It's easy to look at someone that smokes all day and call them weak willed because in the mind of the "attacker" - the smoker quitting wouldn't be harder than an alcoholic quitting alcohol but why is there a comparison? The user doesn't know what being a true alcoholic is like so that analogy means nothing, addiction isn't a competition. A person can only experience one reality and in their reality that is the hardest long-term addiction they have ever had to break, thus making it very hard - especially after failing previously. Addiction is personal and thus so are a lot of its properties.

At the end of the day, people are so complex and using some simplistic language to describe advanced behavioral problems caused by internal and external influence with each case having different origins that aren't yet fully understood will never come close to truly describing what is happening. Maybe with a full 200 page report they can start having a point :)

Addiction can be overcome of course but you need to be dedicated to your cause. I mean shit, I'm currently a smoker - I struggle to stay off it perma because I end up forgetting why I quit in the 1t place, but I'm not ignorant to what has happened to put me here or what I can do to get out but it's not easy.

More dropping of the knowledge by Inverse...

I think because the brain is so poorly understood it will still be awhile before the mechanisms of mental addiction are fully understood. And physical addictions are almost always accompanied by mental. I really think the ritual of it is a big factor. Maybe even one day targeted drugs can be developed that helps people beat addictions.

I wasn't expecting this, but there is actually a really interesting and intelligent discussion about addiction going on in this thread, and it was a pleasure to read.

I'm a 15 year alcoholic, 4 months clean. I recently spent two weeks in a dual recovery facility for alcohol and mental illness after nearly dying from withdrawal and almost giving up on life.

The biggest thing I took from my time there is that addiction and metal health are serious, affect everyone from the homeless to the rich (I met a literal millionaire in there), and the lack of basic education on drug abuse and mental health fucking staggering.

More dropping of the knowledge by Inverse...

I think because the brain is so poorly understood it will still be awhile before the mechanisms of mental addiction are fully understood. And physical addictions are almost always accompanied by mental. I really think the ritual of it is a big factor. Maybe even one day targeted drugs can be developed that helps people beat addictions.

I guess that's what happens when you smoke like 40 billion joints lol - too much time to think and read, but yes the brain is unbelievably poorly understood, you are correct and it's most likely working on the quantum level too which is super-interesting to me.

Yeah the ritual is defo a major part, just the act of rolling, the hand/ mouth movement etc it's all a big part, there will be a very high amount of factors and things at play that keep people coming back to a drug some people deem completely nonaddictive. I find I miss the ritual a lot, even months after stopping. The act of actually rolling and smoking, ughhh, I need to smoke now lol

drugs drinking are fun until you want to stop

I wasn't expecting this, but there is actually a really interesting and intelligent discussion about addiction going on in this thread, and it was a pleasure to read.

I'm a 15 year alcoholic, 4 months clean. I recently spent two weeks in a dual recovery facility for alcohol and mental illness after nearly dying from withdrawal and almost giving up on life.

The biggest thing I took from my time there is that addiction and metal health are serious, affect everyone from the homeless to the rich (I met a literal millionaire in there), and the lack of basic education on drug abuse and mental health fucking staggering.

Keep it up man, 4 months is a very good amount of time and I hope you keep it going!

I agree about the drug abuse/ mental health thing, it's practically non-existent unless you research yourself, meet with a professional or are/becoming a professional in either field. There are no public advertisement or even in schooling there is very little from what I remember, just "drug bad" and mental health is shunned.

Keep it up man, 4 months is a very good amount of time and I hope you keep it going!

I agree about the drug abuse/ mental health thing, it's practically non-existent unless you research yourself, meet with a professional or are/becoming a professional in either field. There are no public advertisement or even in schooling there is very little from what I remember, just "drug bad" and mental health is shunned.

The stigma is real and dangerous. It's also almost ubiquitous which is the strange/fascinating part about it.

Alcohol is Jon Jones' biggest problem. After his well documented criminal driving history, to say weed is a bigger vice for him is proposterous. Your just enabling him by telling him he's not an alcoholic he just drinks to 'fit in'.

And he 'did' weed 3x a day?? You're calling other ppl noobs? Lmao
Alcohol is what gets him into trouble.....He said that quitting weed is harder...It is a very different thing.

He is not an alcoholic in the way that , he doesnt have to drink everyday.

Yes he did weed....IDK if he eats edibles or smokes...3x a day is a lot

I hate 420 n00bs like u.

Back