Weed is harder to quit than alcohol - Jon Jones

Incredible how much ignorance there is on here to addiction. Nobody on here knows if JJ is addicted to anything. Only he knows that and is in such denial that he probably hasn't totally quit anything. As an example, I'm damn near 60yrs. old (short a couple months) and have smoked weed everyday of my life since I was 14 yrs. old. An unusual dry spell around these parts have forced me to temporarily quit for the last 2 weeks and I've had zero physical effects from it. ZERO. Would I like to blaze? Absolutely. Do I need to blaze? Definitely not. Been sober from alcohol addiction for 17yrs. and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. No, I can't have a beer now and then. It starts a physical and mental compulsion that is unbelievable with just one drink of ANY alcohol. IF JJ is an alcoholic he can't have an occasional beer either. It's been proven millions of times from scores of real alcoholics. Complete abstinence is the only way. I've literally tried this hundred of times during my 30's and early 40's. If I pick up a drink today I will HAVE to drink tomorrow and will probably end up in jail or the hospital before morning. That's my experience from dozens of failed attempts. JMO/HTH
To me, this is a big difference. True addiction, you can't try it again even once without being back at square one.

You can't base whether or not something is addictive based on anecdotal evidence relative to you or those you know. Because if you do that the argument you're essentially making is "It's not addictive 'to me'" which means that you're implicitly accepting the statement "but it could be to others". For example I've smoked cigarettes on and off since early high school, it's socially acceptable where I grew up - I stopped when I graduated undergrad, with no issues at all. just decided to. I had one over the summer at a party, remembered how gross it was after I finished and haven't touched it again.
You mixed my main point with my personal example. I didn't say that was proof but it certainly is indicative. I am a habitual user on and off over many many years. 2-3 times per year I am forced to go cold turkey for weeks at a time with no issues whatsoever.
Right now I'm not smoking drugs, I rarely drink, recently quit smoking tobacco, and I'm cleaning up my diet.

Down the road maybe I'll try the right marijuana, but first I need to take better care of my body.
Well, of course, that means you have other concerns than just the nature of pot itself. I'm not pushing it, just trying to help in case you are denying yourself unnecessarily.
Even if someone being "mentally weak" or prone to being an addict has a large part to play in their addiction it doesn't mean it should be taken less seriously because there will be many people equal mindsets and they are still humans.

Weed addiction isn't some black and white picture though and a large number of things have to happen to put a person in that situation. A once a week smoker that started when they were 20 probably won't get addicted to the extent they struggle to stop, or an ex-opiate addict going to a lesser addiction (weed) means that person has been through huge withdrawl and looks at weed as an easy thing to quit because they been through so much already.

But someone that has smoked weed since a young age, been surrounded in that culture and not experienced hard-drug withdrawl will have huge difficulty stopping when they are an adult.

Weed can be hugely beneficial though too, it's about treating it with the respect it requires imo
I'm not going to deny that if you are under about 16 and you have access to the high grade strains available these days and you smoke for a long time, that's going to be tough to get clear of, but I think we can all agree no one wants kids smoking pot in the first place so my position is not really taking that into consideration. I have no comment on the effects if you start at a young age, the THC content is 20%+ and you smoke for 10+ years on a daily basis. It's called dope for a reason. But for the developed brain, there should be no long lasting effects from even heavy pot use over long periods. A psychological dependence (I won't call it addiction) is infinitely easier to treat than physical addiction, I've experienced both, and there's no argument I will accept to the contrary, sorry in advance for the stubbornness..

"b-but weed isn't addictive!!!"
If you ever smoked weed outside of 3 joints in HS you would say its not addictive

Its about as addictive as jerking off and watching tv, sure you can quit but no one wants to live like that

I think its more that its a lifestyle thing. Usually when you smoke a lot then a lot of your friends do and its probably something that you do during the day every day. So you have to like change all your daily routines and habits to get away from it. With booze you just gotta stop going out to bars.

If you take the edibles -- there is basically no draw back ....... no hang over , IMO better high then booze , very healthy for the body as opposed to liqour. proven to be non addictive.

<36>

Not a hangover you would get with alcohol, but you can't tell me you can take some edibles and then the next day not be a little bit more mentally 'slower' than normal.

<36>

Not a hangover you would get with alcohol, but you can't tell me you can take some edibles and then the next day not be a little bit more mentally 'slower' than normal.
Yeah. ...... I have never had a hangover of any sort with edibles or smoke. Of any kind that I was aware of. I actually wake up refreshed as it usually gets me to bed sooner than usual.

When I eat edibles tbey are usually about a gram in a cookie which is hifh for an edible and still haven't had anything close to a hangover not sure what ur referring to

You can get psychologically addicted to ANYTHING you enjoy doing on routine and form a dependency. It doesn't even have to be a substance. It could be an activity. For instance I'm having trouble getting over that I can't go for a sweet bike ride after work anymore due to the weather. It was built into my daily routine, and I really fucking loved doing it. I've had to find other things to occupy my time and will have to for the next few months. Weed really isn't much different at all.

Point being, if you claim you're addicted to weed, you're simply just being a total pussy.

Lol.. so you're finding it hard to get over the fact you can't ride your bike anymore, yet you label anyone addicted to weed as a pussy.

You're either a kid, a dumb fuck, confused, or all of the above.

Back