Watch Garry Tonon's MMA Debut LIVE RIGHT NOW

He needs to improve his head movement and stop leaning and lowering his upper body to the right or someone will kick his head off.
And he should also not underestimate the danger of getting kicked in the face when standing in front of his opponent (like Jacare).

That said, he looked pretty damn good and his grappling seems to work very good for positional dominance and gnp.
His biggest problem will be finding opponents who will take fights with him and 1) are good enough to test him and make him grow and learn, but 2) not be complete killers who will mismatch him due to experience.
Similar to Ryan Hall.
or Aaron Pico - who learned the hard way (both he and his promoters).

He's been striking for 4 months. I think we can expect improvements.
Nah. Maybe seriously seriously striking for four months but listen to him on Rogans podcast two ( or three?) years ago and he talks bout training stand up regularly in anticipation of eventual mma fight . He def has more than four months stand up .

His defensive boxing looked decent, he also looked very mobile. He was awkward in southpaw though, as soon as he switched stance he stiffened up. His head movement was fine, except he was moving too much. The perfect slip would have the glove brush your face, he was trying to make it miss by a mile, but the principle was there.
He was swinging and missing a lot, it looks aggressive, but it wastes energy, left him off balance for counters and shouldn’t be scored highly by judges. His kicks were wild and need a lot of work.
It was still an impressive performance for someone with not a lot of striking experience. I suspect his opponent was cherry picked, but that’s understandable. I also suspect that Tonon ignored some easy submissions to make sure he finished via strikes

. I suspect his opponent was cherry picked, but that’s understandable. I also suspect that Tonon ignored some easy submissions to make sure he finished via strikes

Agreed. I was surprised when he lost the back.

Great overall performance though. The only possible thing to complain about was the horrid commentary.

"This is Tonnon Land! This is Tonnonville!"

Well which one is it, asshole?

Agreed. I was surprised when he lost the back.

Great overall performance though. The only possible thing to complain about was the horrid commentary.

"This is Tonnon Land! This is Tonnonville!"

Well which one is it, asshole?
Ihonistly think that he could have finished it at the end of the first start of the second, but he wanted to show off his striking. A lot of the scrambles, he didn’t really seem to attack with grappling, just strikes

That’s about as good as a debut he could’ve had

Man, some of ya'll are trippin on this striking commentary, lol.

For a "pure bjj guy" (hell, a pure sport bjj guy) his striking was excellent.

He seems like a surprisingly coordinated guy, seeing how a lot of BJJ transition guys are not. Believe it or not I could see him becoming a Rafael Dos Sanjos level fighter. We'll have to see how he does against fighters who come from good camps.

Was Garry's BJJ exposed as an overrated can?
RICHARD CORMINAL's previous opponent was able to SUBMIT him in THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!

Should Garry just concede this victory to Renato Canuto and declare him 1-0 in MMA instead?

Last edited:
Was Garry's BJJ exposed as an overrated can?
RICHARD CORMINAL's previous opponent was able to SUBMIT him in THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!

Should Garry just concede this victory to Renato Canuto and make him 1-0 in MMA instead?

Jesus.....

That was a solid performance. Im glad he didnt just go for submission attempts and worked on his striking and mma wrestling instead. That wasnt even a display of what Tonon is good at. I hope they build him up slowly so he gets all the experience needed to rise to the top.

Anyone who’s actually gotten a feel for his personality and seen him compete and how he expresses his personality when competing shouldn’t be surprised at him winning like this.. at all. He’s naturally mean. I say that as a compliment

Anyone who’s actually gotten a feel for his personality and seen him compete and how he expresses his personality when competing shouldn’t be surprised at him winning like this.. at all. He’s naturally mean. I say that as a compliment

I’ve known him at adcc, out of all competitors, he seemed to be, by far one of the nicest guys...

I’ve known him at adcc, out of all competitors, he seemed to be, by far one of the nicest guys...
I didn’t say he wasn’t a nice person socially..

Edit: have you seen how hard he competes and the way he does.. or the way he talks about training and goals

Man, some of ya'll are trippin on this striking commentary, lol.

For a "pure bjj guy" (hell, a pure sport bjj guy) his striking was excellent.

He seems like a surprisingly coordinated guy, seeing how a lot of BJJ transition guys are not. Believe it or not I could see him becoming a Rafael Dos Sanjos level fighter. We'll have to see how he does against fighters who come from good camps.

Call me crazy, but I actually see more ponyencial on Gary to become a champ than Rafael. Gary seems like a really violent dude, and seems to have dinamite on his hands...

Call me crazy, but I actually see more ponyencial on Gary to become a champ than Rafael. Gary seems like a really violent dude, and seems to have dinamite on his hands...
Violence/violent that’s the word I was looking for

He looked excellent. I know jack shit about striking, but to me he looked really comfortable. Excited to see how far he can go.

absolutely stoked by this! Tonon just seemed very naturally comfortable fighting in an MMA setting. his striking was raw, but fluid and effective. by contrast, Roger Gracie struggled his entire career to figure out how to manage MMA distance and use the threat of his grappling to his advantage in all areas. Tonon definitely seems to get the idea from Day 1.

I think Tonon is in many ways a much better athlete than Roger. Roger has great attributes for BJJ (he's long and has fantastic isometric strength), but he's not very explosive, doesn't seem to have especially good balance, and was never very light on his feet. And he had really, really, really slow hands without the strong sense of timing you need if you're slow handed (ala Nate Diaz).

I was a little bothered by Tonon's constant stance switching. I know he trains with Dillashaw, don't know if he trains with Bang as well, but he's definitely messing around with some of that similar stance switching, high kicking business. I don't have a problem with that style per se but it's not one that I think most beginners are going to be able to make work right off the bat, much less deal with the downsides in terms of easily getting out of position if you're not super careful when and how you switch leads. His opponent obviously couldn't take advantage of it, but if Tonon had taken one clean shot to the jaw while he was halfway between stances that could easily have been the end of it. The openings were there.

Than Rafael Dos Anjos, who was already LW champ? And is fighting shortly for the interim WW belt? If Garry has a career half as successful as RDA he'll have done way better than most BJJ guys.

Back