Watch Garry Tonon's MMA Debut LIVE RIGHT NOW

Looked pretty impressive. Not sure about his opponent's credentials but he didn't look very experienced.

Garry confirmed for gonna beat MCGREGGOR'S ASS by flying jumping headkicks, truck rolls, and TKO GROUND N POUND

I'm excited to see where he goes with his mma career. He's stand up is obviously novice but he looked comfortable there which is a good sign

Looked very good!

Btw the highlights posted from that previous fight in that show are RAD and I highly recommend checking it out!

jesus christ that was some or the most scary and brutl GNP ive seen in a long time...

Tonon is going to hurt some people...

Huh. I never would have imagined it ending via Gnp...

He needs to improve his head movement and stop leaning and lowering his upper body to the right or someone will kick his head off.
And he should also not underestimate the danger of getting kicked in the face when standing in front of his opponent (like Jacare).

That said, he looked pretty damn good and his grappling seems to work very good for positional dominance and gnp.
His biggest problem will be finding opponents who will take fights with him and 1) are good enough to test him and make him grow and learn, but 2) not be complete killers who will mismatch him due to experience.
Similar to Ryan Hall.

Huh. I never would have imagined it ending via Gnp...
I kind of thought he would try to. Garry seems like the guy to try and make a statement. If it ended by sub I thought he would shoot, mount, and go for the TKO and maybe a RNC or guillotine/darce type strangle if the guy tried to scramble up.

What really surprised me was how long he stood up and how comfortable he seemed on the feet. I know his striking had some holes in it but that's to be expected right?

I also liked how quickly he was able to go back to takedown mode when he wanted to.

Overall I thought that was about as a good a debut fight as you can have coming from a grappling background.

For a split second when he went for the crotch lock I thought he might see a twister

Corminal is a buddy of mine. Good showing by Tonon. He should get a couple of wins and head out to the UFC before he gets Askrened by Dana.

He needs to improve his head movement and stop leaning and lowering his upper body to the right or someone will kick his head off.
And he should also not underestimate the danger of getting kicked in the face when standing in front of his opponent (like Jacare).

That said, he looked pretty damn good and his grappling seems to work very good for positional dominance and gnp.
His biggest problem will be finding opponents who will take fights with him and 1) are good enough to test him and make him grow and learn, but 2) not be complete killers who will mismatch him due to experience.
Similar to Ryan Hall.

thats going to be a tough one for him...

who the hell wants to get in the cage with someone like gary... dude has a heart of a lion, young explosive strong and a grappling ace, worst thing, totally unknown for the casual fan, so getting big bucks for facing him right now wont happen. Unless One fc forces some of his fighters to fight him, gary will be having a very hard time finding fights.

He's been striking for 4 months. I think we can expect improvements.

Striking not only looked good (for based on the amount of time he’s trained striking) but looks like he can improve and become a real well rounded mma fighter.

His high kicks could use some work though, lol. He threw one high kick running forward and fell down on another.

Glad to see he is not a Maia. Seems to like punching people and not worried about full bjj advancing position instead of doing damage.

He's been striking for 4 months. I think we can expect improvements.

If he only trained striking for such a short amount of time then he did amazingly well.

What weight did he used to compete in bjj or grappling?

I was impressed by the impact he could develop with his strikes, standing and on the ground.

For a grappling based or focused fighter, i think conditioning for striking is a valuable thing to do, even if or rather particularly if the strategic focus in most of your sparring and situational/positional drilling sessions is more about applying your grappling, rather than trying some 33/33/33 diffusal in your tactical work, since GPP proximately benefits everything you do.

Building explosive hands has a lot of carry over with building strength in clinch/wrestling work. Plus you always need more general cardio-vascular capacity, and stance movement and heavy bag drills are a fine way to do it. Meanwhile, having dynamite at your finger and toe tips opens many doors and forgives many sins.

Last edited:
absolutely stoked by this! Tonon just seemed very naturally comfortable fighting in an MMA setting. his striking was raw, but fluid and effective. by contrast, Roger Gracie struggled his entire career to figure out how to manage MMA distance and use the threat of his grappling to his advantage in all areas. Tonon definitely seems to get the idea from Day 1.

I kind of thought he would try to. Garry seems like the guy to try and make a statement. If it ended by sub I thought he would shoot, mount, and go for the TKO and maybe a RNC or guillotine/darce type strangle if the guy tried to scramble up.

What really surprised me was how long he stood up and how comfortable he seemed on the feet. I know his striking had some holes in it but that's to be expected right?

I also liked how quickly he was able to go back to takedown mode when he wanted to.

Overall I thought that was about as a good a debut fight as you can have coming from a grappling background.

For a split second when he went for the crotch lock I thought he might see a twister

I'm no striker but I noticed him dipping to his right too often as well. I'll sure Danaher and co will correct that

Back