Was Bill Wallace being a bully here or is it fair play?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Guestx, May 13, 2018.

1. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Use body shots then.

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  2. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

Wallace was pulling his shots, but some of them were still hard. You don't know the agreement beforehand

3. Peter Smits

Peter Smits Orange Belt

Maybe I am blaming him for his level of opposition - he couldve fought better guys. Fact is he never challenged himself like Andy Hug or Peter Smit by expanding into full-contact. Smit was a kyokushin euro champ, a thai fightr who beat kiatsongrit in lumpinee, and a kickboxer who fought some of the best like Mo Smith. Whereas wallace seems like he just wanted to be an undefeated point fighter who crushed a dozen cans and quit. Which is disappointing from a fans perspective, but its his life.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

He did go into full contact and was undefeated middleweight Kickboxing champion.

dudeguyman likes this.
  5. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Wut?

Bill Wallace was an undefeated champion in American/Full Contact Kickboxing.

He was the PKA middleweight champ, retiring with a 20-0 record and 12 KOs.

Read up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Wallace_(martial_artist)

One of his full-contact fights is even posted on the first page of this very thread.

dudeguyman and Edison Carasio like this.
  6. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

the only thing worth pointing out, is mr mullet man wasnt a kid, he was a grown man. You see kids go hard on saenchai all the time and he doesnt put them in their place, but if a man goes hard on saenchai, he definitely turns up the heat.

dudeguyman, 98bird and Reyesnuthugr like this.
  7. Vil7

Vil7 Silver Belt

If a Thai did that he'd get a much different reaction on this forum.

dudeguyman and Edison Carasio like this.
  8. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

But where in the clip does other guy cross the line? He can barely punch. All I see is a happy dude getting to spar a Kickboxing legend.

9. froggyluv

froggyluv Green Belt

I remember the first time I asked to light spar and a coach looking at me and saying" sure, but if you start to turn it up, we'll start to turn it up" -true dat. Mullet got turned up/

10. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

He clearly can't fight but that doesn't stop him for flicking out stupid shit to look cool. If you think this is bad, Benny Urquidez wouldn't have thought twice about koing him and leaving him in a pile in the middle of the Jet Center.

Edison Carasio likes this.
  11. 98bird

98bird Brown Belt

That's not a kid, he's a grown adult male in his prime while Wallace is an old man.

Sparring can be light to full out for KO. This is standard practice, especially for a dumbass trying to make a name for himself, especially that underhanded remark. He got off light.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  12. 98bird

98bird Brown Belt

Exactly. Because someone good can catch & KO him while he's playing around light and this would hurt not only Saenchai's ego, but his marketability & livelihood. He makes money doing seminars, selling stuff, etc. not just from fighting. If someone really wanted to go hard, they should tell him this first instead of, surprise!

Reyesnuthugr and shincheckin like this.
  13. shincheckin

shincheckin Brown Belt

i dont think anyone good could catch saenchai and ko him. He plays around during actual fights with the best out there.

98bird and Frode Falch like this.
  14. William Huggins

William Huggins Green Belt

Everyone gets caught in the end.....:(

15. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

[​IMG]

dudeguyman likes this.
  16. AndyMaBobs

AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Nonsense. Get out of here with that shit.

17. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

98bird likes this.
  18. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

The universal rule of ALL gyms that spar is:

The level of intensity during sparring rises to as high as you escalate it.

This means you can't complain if someone rises to your level of intensity, because it is fair for both people. I didn't make up this rule, it literally is and has been the rule since anyone can remember. Sometimes people want to spar light, sometimes medium or want to spar heavy-- that's up to them.

What you DON'T get to do (obvious AF) is go hard while demanding the other guy stay lite. If you demand a double standard, you are garbage, plain and simple, and you will enjoy your thrashing and continual hostility you have created, rightfully.

It's not a difficult concept. It's simple and designed to be fair and easy to understand for everyone down to the extreme beginner, because it can't get any fairer or simpler.

Anyone who wants to act like lowly trash or wants to defend that kind of behavoir doesn't deserve accommodation or respect because they refuse to acknowledge this universal principle of worth to others and basic respect in the first place.

listrahtes and 98bird like this.
  19. 98bird

98bird Brown Belt

It would be very low in chances, but don't rule out surprise attacks. Imagine how it would explode on the internet if someone did, and it would stay up there 100 years to forever.

shincheckin likes this.
  20. 98bird

98bird Brown Belt

Excellent. I would just add that some places have more closely monitoring of power levels during sparring, by their instructors.....especially the TMA joints where they often tells you to go lighter, because in general, they don't fight full contact; just mostly for points. But in fight gyms like MT or full MMA, if you come in and want to show the students there a thing or 2, then dudes will line up for you.

If it escalates to a full fight, then so be it. I don't want to lose in sparring. I know exactly who I can beat and can't beat in a gym with more than 100 students (mostly Jitsu). It's just a natural pecking order selection.