Was anyone impressed by Canelo?

He got hit with some of the same shots that hurt other middleweights.

tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

That was a monster shot that Canelo didn't see coming and landed behind the ear. I'm not even sure he was shaking his head no, more like one of those door-stoppers when you flick it.

Its moreso that the population that picked him to lose picked him to get blown out of the water

I'll admit that I thought GGG would destroy him but that certainly didn't happen and Canelo really impressed me especially his defence. Apart from the odd bit of success GGG couldn't really land anything big on him all night.

I was actually very impressed with Canelo.

I think both guys elevated one another. GGG is on the downslope of his peak and that much is obvious, but he still fought like a champ and wouldn't let Canelo - the young guy with something to prove - have his way. Canelo took a punch and had some great instincts, but he let GGG control him too much. The jab and the threat of the right hand kept Canelo backing off in the middle of the fight. I really think Canelo got whacked by some hard shots (rd 4 was a huge right hand I believe) and this made him reluctant. He clawed his way back in the final three, perhaps winning two of the rounds, just as GGG decided he might need a KO to not get screwed (which is where GGG abandoned the jab - which helped Canelo get back in the fight).

tl;dr - both men impressed me.

Its moreso that the population that picked him to lose picked him to get blown out of the water

I thought he'd lose by decision. It really didn't seem like a fight where either man was ever going to run away with things.

tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

Feel like at some point they were both thinking "What the fuck do I have to hit him with?"
He would've been off balance but golovkin is as well. Doubt he hits the deck.

I'll admit that I thought GGG would destroy him but that certainly didn't happen and Canelo really impressed me especially his defence. Apart from the odd bit of success GGG couldn't really land anything big on him all night.
Hespect.

This is the stuff I enjoy the most about close fights. Its where we learn the most about fighters.

I don't think you'd see Golovkin do anything wrong if Canelo KO'd him.

he wasn't dictating the pace. He never took Canelo out of his comfort zone. Not once. Canelo implemented his gameplan from round 1-12. Not one time was Canelo in trouble. I don't even recall seeing him visibly effected by punches.

You can be controlling the pace when you're the defensive boxer, believe it or not. Canelo boxed him when he wanted to and he backed him up when he wanted to. Golovkin wasn't able to do much of anything he wanted to do. He was chasing and throwing in volume hoping something would stick and nothing did.

Thank GOD someone sees this fight like me. I haven't scored the fight. Pretty much I know I gave at least Canelo 6 though. I stopped scoring midway after 6 or 7 because I had Canelo winning 4-3 or 4-2, and thought Canelo had given up rounds to rest and test GGGs arsenal and power with his chin a little. I told my buddy after GGG won his first two rnds after Canelo swept first 3 that Canelo knew GGG couldn't hurt him now, and was gonna walk him down. Many of the 2nd half rounds saw him come out, and start that process, but his gas failed him. I gave him a middle round and didn't see him land enough to win another outright until rnds 11 & 12. So even without scoring the whole fight I know he got 6.

Ggg came to fight, and found a way to chase and find his way into fight eventually through not very effective, but numerous attempts, but if people are going to be honest, it starts with actually having watched Canelo fight. He boxed like he always does on the ropes or backed GGG up with perfect counterpunching in the center of the ring. He fought his type of fight all night.

Canelo loves the ropes. Lol at trying to say he was "dictatdd there"

As a Canelo fan, I was surprised how well he made GGG miss on almost every exchange. When he did get tagged, his chin was very solid. I scored the fight for narrowly for GGG but the shit was damn close.

tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

Q1Zqzq.gif

They replayed the first one when it happened. It was partially blocked and didn't land clean. The second one Canelo was already backing up.

I don't think he took any shots where I wondered how he didn't get staggard Like that looping right Canelo landed on GGG.

Last edited:

tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

I love that taunt and all this kind of taunts they did in the match, it was so entertaining. At the end of day i was very impressed about Canelo's performance. Alvarez showed us some solid defense, head movement and timing.

I was very impressed with him even though I had him losing. The fight seemed closer to me in a second viewing, and if they rematch in May, I would give him the edge.

I was impressed with how well he fought for 1 minute of every round.

I was impressed by Canelo, people should just except that he is an elite fighter.

Back