Was anyone impressed by Canelo?

Joe Rogan's Kettlebell

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Alot of people counted him out for this fight.

He showed great movement, defense, and combo striking. Easily dodged GGG's right hand and took the shots when they landed.
He was completely gassed and still brought the fight to GGG in the later rounds.

Let's not forget it was his first fight at 160, against one of the most conditioned 160 fighters of all time.

Canelo is legit and I have him winning a rematch

Thank fuck you posted this, i was wondering why nobody was talking about this fight.......

Thank fuck you posted this, i was wondering why nobody was talking about this fight.......

Enough talking, but we totally need more threads.

Canelo definitely had the cleaner work and looked better defensively. He's the better boxer, no question about it. However, he fought in spurts. You can't intermittently take time off/call a timeout to recharge when the other fighter is in your face pressuring you nonstop while scoring, dictating the pace and in command as the ring general.

Canelo definitely had the cleaner work and looked better defensively. He's the better boxer, no question about it. However, he fought in spurts. You can't intermittently take time off/call a timeout to recharge when the other fighter is in your face pressuring you nonstop while scoring, dictating the pace and in command as the ring general.
I don't really see how people thought Golovkin dictated the pace. Just being the guy coming forward doesn't mean you're in control. I mean, in some rounds, sure but to say he controlled the whole fight is sort of ludicrous.

I don't really see how people thought Golovkin dictated the pace. Just being the guy coming forward doesn't mean you're in control. I mean, in some rounds, sure but to say he controlled the whole fight is sort of ludicrous.

Where did I say that GGG controlled the whole fight? That's your argument, a strawman attempt? A fighter coming forward has to be effective as the aggressor. Even if you're just landing your jab consistently enough then that still counts as effective aggression; you're effective (scoring) and the one taking the initiative to take the fight to the other man (aggression). GGG set the pace and successfully maintained it convincingly enough to take more rounds. I had it 7-5 GGG.

Last edited:
He impressed the hell out of me and i thought he would have folded in 8.

I still had him losing...but all in all, canelo is a great fighter..

Too bad many of his fuck head fans are rivaling conor McGregor fans in selective memory, incredible bias and lack of any sense of objectivity.

Ya forsure his pivots were beautiful. Both guys impressed the hell out of me.me and my buddy whos not really a boxing fan went to a bar to see it. He loves boxing now and keeps asking me about fighters.

A lot of people picked Canelo to win. The majority of boxers that I saw interviewed picked him. This idea that he was a huge underdog is just not true.

i was super impressed, esp. with his defence. that's probably been his biggest area of improvement. one thing he should look to emulate from GGG is not to load up on every shot IMO. I had him 7-5 up. everyone I watched it with had it for GGG.

Theres going to be a ridiculous amount of posters that wont admit how well Canelo did, and how much he exceeded their expectations, solely on the outcome of the decision.

A lot of people picked Canelo to win. The majority of boxers that I saw interviewed picked him. This idea that he was a huge underdog is just not true.
Its moreso that the population that picked him to lose picked him to get blown out of the water

Canelo's chin impressed the hell out of me, I think that was the biggest ? here, at least for me. Also his hook to the body is even better than I thought, so smooth and to the point. He moved a bit better than I anticipated as well.

Nothing surprised me about GGG, he brought it like he always does. Incredible output for a powerful mw with a style like that. Great fight.

I picked him to win. Thought he looked better in his last few fights, than GGG did in his.

Even in the fight he looked by far the better boxer imo. Then came round 4 and he would only fight in spurts. Said it straight after fight he gave away rounds.

I was impressed with his chin and his ability to carry his skills/speed while packing on the pounds. His gas tank has always been the same.

i was super impressed, esp. with his defence. that's probably been his biggest area of improvement. one thing he should look to emulate from GGG is not to load up on every shot IMO. I had him 7-5 up. everyone I watched it with had it for GGG.

I feel about the same, and had the same scorecard.

To me, this fight also proved to me a lot about his chin. I thought that going in to this fight, Canelo's chin would be a deciding factor on his success. Especially since this was his first fight at 160 and he was in there with the boogeyman. Turns out he could take GGGs best punch (a monster overhand right iirc) and nod it off, even beckoning Golovkin in for more at one point.

Last edited:
I thought Canelo lost but he also exceeded my expectations. great fight.

I feel about the same, and had the same scorecard.

To me, this fight also proved to me a lot about his chin. I thought that going in to this fight, Canelo's chin would be a deciding factor on his success. Especially since this was his first fight at 160 and he was in there with the boogeyman. Turns out he could take GGGs best punch (a monster overhand right if I iirc) and nod it off, even beckoning Golovkin in for more at one point.
tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

Feel like at some point they were both thinking "What the fuck do I have to hit him with?"

Those first three from Canelo were pure class. But I knew he couldn't keep that pace up. Chin held and dug deep so props.

Back