Was anyone impressed by Canelo?

Yes very impressive at times.....I felt if could have stopped Gs forward movement a little more and mayb back him up or once or twice at crucial moments he could have won......but he faught well he just needed more of it...he had good movement but ran at times....rematch could go either way....great chin as well

Last edited:
A lot of people picked Canelo to win. The majority of boxers that I saw interviewed picked him. This idea that he was a huge underdog is just not true.

THISx1000.

Half a dozen loud people on messageboards said he was a huge underdog, & this being the Internet it's triggered this weird anti-GGG backlash that refuses to engage with consensus reality (i.e. GGG won 8 rounds) & their entire argument precedes off the idea "Some people said GGG was gonna smash him & he remained un-smashed, so LOL Canelo won".

I mean, look at fuckin' Seano's post in this thread. "I don't really see how Golovkin dictated the pace", FFS. It's like Ginger didn't get jabbed in the face & moved around where GGG wanted him for round after round, while back-pedalling & not throwing punches. How the cunting fuck is thatnot dictating the pace? Talk specifically about one issue & they have to switch to something else, like pretending GGG was just love-tapping him or that Ginger didn't get outworked.

I think some people's knee-jerk Internet "I don't take any bullshit" personas have, as Logical alluded to up-thread, got in the way of them scoring the fight.

THISx1000.

Half a dozen loud people on messageboards said he was a huge underdog, & this being the Internet it's triggered this weird anti-GGG backlash that refuses to engage with consensus reality (i.e. GGG won 8 rounds) & their entire argument precedes off the idea "Some people said GGG was gonna smash him & he remained un-smashed, so LOL Canelo won".

I mean, look at fuckin' Seano's post in this thread. "I don't really see how Golovkin dictated the pace", FFS. It's like Ginger didn't get jabbed in the face & moved around where GGG wanted him for round after round, while back-pedalling & not throwing punches. How the cunting fuck is thatnot dictating the pace? Talk specifically about one issue & they have to switch to something else, like pretending GGG was just love-tapping him or that Ginger didn't get outworked.

I think some people's knee-jerk Internet "I don't take any bullshit" personas have, as Logical alluded to up-thread, got in the way of them scoring the fight.
You've got to admit when you're wrong on these things imo. I thought canelo would beat him easily but it didn't happen. Great fight.

Canelo did some things that were very impressive. His punch resistance was finally proven without a doubt to be about as good as it gets. The other things he showed us were things that were impressive but not surprising. We knew he was a great counterpuncher, we knew he had very good defense, we knew that he was willing to sit in the pocket against big punchers to get his shots in, we knew he went to the body very well, etc.

I've been impressed with Canelo for years, so I'd say the only thing that is really new here is that he got hit by the baddest middleweight around and shook it off like he did with junior middleweights. Canelo is already a beast of a middleweight, in my opinion.

tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

Feel like at some point they were both thinking "What the fuck do I have to hit him with?"

Yep that's the one lol

Is it just me or did Golovkin seem a little frustrated that he couldnt hurt canelo?

Yep that's the one lol

Is it just me or did Golovkin seem a little frustrated that he couldnt hurt canelo?
I think its fair to say they both felt some of that.

his lack of inactivity was concerning, seemdd his inability to keep golovkin off affected his gas and as a result he holstered his guns and fought off the ropes cus he was too tired to fight center ring where his phys/tech skills shone brightest

I expected Canelo to be as slick he was. The Cotto fight was the biggest showcase of his skill for me,
so no surprise there. What surprised me was his chin. Pretty solid.
His stamina problems though are apparent. Due to his big experience he knows how to deal with it and he got a draw against the
best middleweight on the planet.
Funny thing is some Canelo fans here, tried to deny before the fight that he has stamina issues. LOL

I also think that GGG proved he's a pretty good boxer. People talk about his jab but he also landed counters like the right in the gif, hooks,
upercuts to both body and face. He's just significantly slower than Canelo and compare to how he was 2 -3 years ago.
His mentality and chin are the things that keep him number 1 even at this stage of his career.

THISx1000.

I don't think you'd see Golovkin do anything wrong if Canelo KO'd him.

he wasn't dictating the pace. He never took Canelo out of his comfort zone. Not once. Canelo implemented his gameplan from round 1-12. Not one time was Canelo in trouble. I don't even recall seeing him visibly effected by punches.

You can be controlling the pace when you're the defensive boxer, believe it or not. Canelo boxed him when he wanted to and he backed him up when he wanted to. Golovkin wasn't able to do much of anything he wanted to do. He was chasing and throwing in volume hoping something would stick and nothing did.

I don't think you'd see Golovkin do anything wrong if Canelo KO'd him.

he wasn't dictating the pace. He never took Canelo out of his comfort zone. Not once. Canelo implemented his gameplan from round 1-12. Not one time was Canelo in trouble. I don't even recall seeing him visibly effected by punches.

You can be controlling the pace when you're the defensive boxer, believe it or not. Canelo boxed him when he wanted to and he backed him up when he wanted to. Golovkin wasn't able to do much of anything he wanted to do. He was chasing and throwing in volume hoping something would stick and nothing did.

Most importantly, he exposed Golovkin for the front-runner he is. I think Golovkin has cardio issues. That Big Bear altitude training must be bs.

I expected Canelo to be as slick he was. The Cotto fight was the biggest showcase of his skill for me,
so no surprise there. What surprised me was his chin. Pretty solid.
His stamina problems though are apparent. Due to his big experience he knows how to deal with it and he got a draw against the
best middleweight on the planet.
Funny thing is some Canelo fans here, tried to deny before the fight that he has stamina issues. LOL

I also think that GGG proved he's a pretty good boxer. People talk about his jab but he also landed counters like the right in the gif, hooks,
upercuts to both body and face. He's just significantly slower than Canelo and compare to how he was 2 -3 years ago.
His mentality and chin are the things that keep him number 1 even at this stage of his career.

saul can't maintain any sort of pace, so he has to get your respect w/his power; if he doesn't get your respect and he has to work at a pace, his footwork kinda gets a little shaky and the awareness/willingness to fire when he escapes or sees an opening becomes a big problem for him.

he is good enough to not get walked over, blasted out or beaten up; his class and seasoning allows that..

but against elite guys he can't back up or tire, he will repeatedly have this problem....

He'd be an amazing fighter if he didn't have such a stamina problem. I really wonder what it is.

Canelo did some things that were very impressive. His punch resistance was finally proven without a doubt to be about as good as it gets. The other things he showed us were things that were impressive but not surprising. We knew he was a great counterpuncher, we knew he had very good defense, we knew that he was willing to sit in the pocket against big punchers to get his shots in, we knew he went to the body very well, etc.

I've been impressed with Canelo for years, so I'd say the only thing that is really new here is that he got hit by the baddest middleweight around and shook it off like he did with junior middleweights. Canelo is already a beast of a middleweight, in my opinion.

Yeah I think it depends where you come from. A lot of people did underestimate him (especially his ability to take a shot). I predicted a close fight, with a slight edge to Canelo. He did the things I expected, and actually did a little worse than I expected at times with his low output. I guess it's the difference between "impressed" and "surprised". What he did was impressive, win or lose. Surprising? Not so much, to me anyway.

People who were picking Golovkin to run over him though should certainly be surprised with something he did.

I didn't see him hit square by GGG all night. So that's a plus for his defense, but I don't think his chin was tested too much.

tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

Feel like at some point they were both thinking "What the fuck do I have to hit him with?"
I'm not saying he doesn't have a great chin , because he does. But do the ropes save him here?

I'm not saying he doesn't have a great chin , because he does. But do the ropes save him here?

Hard to say. He didn't get a shaky leg afterward, so he might have caught himself. He definitely didn't see it coming though and it caught him right behind the ear. Fuck that.

He probably would have gotten knocked a step back but Id bet the house he wasnt going down from that. Didnt look remotely bothered by it.

I didn't see him hit square by GGG all night. So that's a plus for his defense, but I don't think his chin was tested too much.

He got hit with some of the same shots that hurt other middleweights.

tsapbnuu7gccyzeaprvz.gif

Q1Zqzq.gif

Regarding this fight ...I went back and forth on who I thought would win.

After watching some fight tape, I predicted 8th round TKO for GGG. The biggest X Factor I said was Canelo's ability to improve with each fight.

Alas, I was wrong....

@nac386 already made solid bullet points...

Back