War Room Lounge V20: Halloween Awareness: Dispatches Blast Yo Ass from a Pumpkin Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who drive less or live in certain areas where it's onerous.

In some cases where voter ID laws have been passed they also shut down a large number of DMV offices in predominately minority communities

Democrats should offer a compromise--universal registration, free IDs, and weekend voting in exchange for mandatory IDs. I think they'd all like it, but Republicans would reject it because the real concern isn't illegal voters, it's reducing legal voters.
Nailed it

I don't know your friends (I don't think). I'm just answering the question you asked.
I just find it shocking that something so easily solved (getting an ID) is considered a huge obstacle or that requiring one is demanding.

I just find it shocking that something so easily solved (getting an ID) is considered a huge obstacle or that requiring one is demanding.

Well, I mean, you could try moving around in the world a little more. Don't know what to tell you.

From a political standpoint, it's very obvious that the push for picture IDs is just about making it harder for some people to vote in order to benefit the incumbents who are behind the push. Like I said, I think their bluff should just be called.

And yet the same people opposed to voter ID want a specific ID for someone to buy a gun. :confused:

Wasn't Paul Allen the name of Jared Leto's character in American Psycho?
Yes.

Le4.gif

How does requiring ID disproportionately effect anyone? Unless you're claiming that a certain group of people are just too lazy and stupid to EVER be able to get ID, there is really no argument to be had.
The tactic to reverse the racist claims on Liberals is as obvious as it is cynical.

I can give examples of why some groups at certain age, race, regional and income demographics would have more difficulty obtaining an ID than others if you are interested in understanding, or how other actions in junction with Voter ID laws, such as registry office closures in target districts work along side seemingly innocuous laws, but I'm not going to go through the effort of dispelling your bullshit if you're just going to make the same arguments in the next thread that comes around.

I won't argue that there isn't a method to it. There is. My argument is that its two fold. Are they taking advantage of it? Sure. Is there any reason why people can't get off their asses and get an ID to negate that advantage? No.

This sounds like you are already in on the joke, so I don't know why I should bother responding at this point, tbh.

The tactic to reverse the racist claims on Liberals is as obvious as it is cynical.

I can give examples of why some groups at certain age, race, regional and income demographics would have more difficulty.

So what if they have more difficulty? That isn't an excuse. Some people have more difficulty getting to work, because they don't have a car. They still get there though.

Bottom line is that there is absolutely NOTHING stopping anyone from getting an ID. There is no excuse for anyone. If you can't be bothered to get one for whatever reason, that's on you.

So what if they have more difficulty? That isn't an excuse. Some people have more difficulty getting to work, because they don't have a car. They still get there though.

Bottom line is that there is absolutely NOTHING stopping anyone from getting an ID. There is no excuse for anyone. If you can't be bothered to get one for whatever reason, that's on you.
Going back to the entire objection behind the laws, what is the purpose of the ID? To prevent fraud or to be an obstacle and shave off a few would be voters? You seem to acknowledge its designed more to be an obstacle (albeit a minor one), which is at least somewhat refreshing around here.

I don't really recommend it, but the Warren thread shows a lot of right-wingers pretending to be full-on "SJWs"--actually far more extreme about it than real ones are.

And yet the same people opposed to voter ID want a specific ID for someone to buy a gun. :confused:

Bingo! Somehow it's ok to demand it before that right can be exercised. Never heard any gun-grabbers acknowledging that it disproportionately affects minorities. Guess they don't really care about minorities and they just want the votes for their party.

Going back to the entire objection behind the laws, what is the purpose of the ID? To prevent fraud or to be an obstacle and shave off a few would be voters?

Yes. The system should work towards perfection. There is no plus to not having voter ID laws. It just makes the system all the more easier to exploit.

You seem to acknowledge its designed more to be an obstacle (albeit a minor one), which is at least somewhat refreshing around here.

The laws are designed to make sure everyone who votes is legit. That's the long and short of it. Enforcing that law, isn't some conspiratorial loophole. Just get an ID. What is the issue here? If it was up to me, voter ID laws would be enforced across the board everywhere. It only makes sense. I find the push back against it absolutely ridiculous.

You have to admit, its a pretty weak excuse to claim that its unfair. Why are some politicians against it? That seems far more nefarious than people wanting it to be enforced. On one side, there is less room for error. On the other, it opens up far more opportunity for error. Why are the people who want checks and balances the bad guys here?

Yes. The system should work towards perfection. There is no plus to not having voter ID laws. It just makes the system all the more easier to exploit.

The laws are designed to make sure everyone who votes is legit. That's the long and short of it. Enforcing that law, isn't some conspiratorial loophole. Just get an ID. What is the issue here? If it was up to me, voter ID laws would be enforced across the board everywhere. It only makes sense. I find the push back against it absolutely ridiculous.

You have to admit, its a pretty weak excuse to claim that its unfair. Why are some politicians against it? That seems far more nefarious than people wanting it to be enforced. On one side, there is less room for error. On the other, it opens up far more opportunity for error. Why are the people who want checks and balances the bad guys here?
If goal is legitimacy, then why has the GOP ignored absentee ballots, where there is much more evidence of fraud actually occurring?
You know the answer.

If goal is legitimacy, then why has the GOP ignored absentee ballots, where there is much more evidence of fraud actually occurring?
You know the answer.

They should do that too then. It doesn't change my stance that objection to voter ID laws is absurd. Why do you have such a problem with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back