War Room Lounge V20: Halloween Awareness: Dispatches Blast Yo Ass from a Pumpkin Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to OD on smugness? if so that pizza seems like a serious risk.

Ancient grains? sounds like something dug up with king tut, I'll take the lesser of two weavils and avoid it.

What actually is Fedor's contract situation with Bellator? if he won the GP and was free then I could see the UFC throwing a good bit of money at him to fight the Cormier/Brock winner.

I like the ancient grain bread I buy.....mostly cause the crust has sunflower seeds sprinkled on it, but still.

The voter-suppression apologists kill me here.
The whole point of voter suppression is to make a law that seems harmless or reasonable on the outside, but actually disproportionately affects one voting block.
When you try to explain that it's not about eliminating EVERY vote, but just enough to sway the election, it's completely lost on them. I'd rather they just came out and said they don't care as long as their side wins.

The voter-suppression apologists kill me here.
The whole point of voter suppression is to make a law that seems harmless or reasonable on the outside, but actually disproportionately affects one voting block.
When you try to explain that it's not about eliminating EVERY vote, but just enough to sway the election, it's completely lost on them. I'd rather they just came out and said they don't care as long as their side wins.

The shit in Georgia and N. DAakota is just ridiculous. It just seems like the Rs can't win unless they rig the game. I belive its only a matter of time before some lunatic kills somebody over this shit.

Wasn't Paul Allen the name of Jared Leto's character in American Psycho?

Depends what you're talking about. Voter ID laws for instance, are not unreasonable by any stretch.

Democrats should offer a compromise--universal registration, free IDs, and weekend voting in exchange for mandatory IDs. I think they'd all like it, but Republicans would reject it because the real concern isn't illegal voters, it's reducing legal voters.

Depends what you're talking about. Voter ID laws for instance, are not unreasonable by any stretch.
That's the insidiousness of it; it sounds like a perfectly reasonable request to the average person, but it is designed to effect a very small group disproportionately.

Serious question: If the reason is to prevent fraud or impersonation and not to disenfranchise voters, why doesn't the GOP go after absentee ballots with the same sort of scrutiny? They have been proven a greater source of fraud than anything a voter ID law would claim to prevent.

That's the insidiousness of it; it sounds like a perfectly reasonable request to the average person, but it is designed to effect a very small group disproportionately.

How does requiring ID disproportionately effect anyone? Unless you're claiming that a certain group of people are just too lazy and stupid to EVER be able to get ID, there is really no argument to be had.

How does requiring ID disproportionately effect anyone? Unless you're claiming that a certain group of people are just too lazy and stupid to EVER be able to get ID, there is really no argument to be had.

EDIT: accidental button hit

All that's necessary is to note that certain groups factually are less likely to have IDs, and that is the sole reason that Republicans are pretending to be worried about voter fraud. It's not a controversial claim, and many Republicans involved in those shenanigans have admitted it.

@HereticBD In the meantime, want to answer my question about absentee ballots?

I won't argue that there isn't a method to it. There is. My argument is that its two fold. Are they taking advantage of it? Sure. Is there any reason why people can't get off their asses and get an ID to negate that advantage? No.

All that's necessary is to note that certain groups factually are less likely to have IDs

Okay, but who's problem is that? Go get ID. Problem solved. Its not like they're pulling the wool over anyone's eyes here. If they were blocking people from getting an ID, that would be one thing, but they're not. You're blaming Republicans for taking advantage of people not being bothered to get an ID. That's not their problem.

Just in general though, I think its a no-brainer that Voter ID should be required. What is so controversial about that?

All that's necessary is to note that certain groups factually are less likely to have IDs, and that is the sole reason that Republicans are pretending to be worried about voter fraud. It's not a controversial claim, and many Republicans involved in those shenanigans have admitted it.
Who is less likely to have ID that actually is a legal voter?

Okay, but who's problem is that? Go get ID. Problem solved. Its not like they're pulling the wool over anyone's eyes here. If they were blocking people from getting an ID, that would be one thing, but they're not. You're blaming Republicans for taking advantage of people not being bothered to get an ID. That's not their problem.

Just in general though, I think its a no-brainer that Voter ID should be required. What is so controversial about that?

There is nothing wrong with that

Okay, but who's problem is that?

Well, it's the country's problem if parties are trying to win elections by making it harder for some people to vote rather than trying to persuade voters to vote for them.

It's a fix for a problem that doesn't exist, and it creates a real problem--making it harder for some people to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back