Want to murk my loser Mormon neighbor

There are a lot of trainers who are against shock collars, and not because they feel sorry for the dogs or anything like that. The issue is that the dog will associate various stimuli to the shock through classic conditioning. So for example a pedestrian walks by, this grabs the dog's attention and they bark, then the collar shocks them. This can make the dog angrier next time because they associate pedestrian = pain. The more this happens, the angrier and more frenzied the dog gets at what they erroneously perceive to be the origin of the pain. Basically it can create brand-new behavioural problems that are very hard to fix. You really shouldn't be using them, especially not to please a Karen that's clearly impossible to please anyway.

It's not really about being Mormon. You moved into a nice neighbourhood and there's a Karen with a lot of time on her hands somewhere. Personally I'd go for a "killing them with kindness" strategy. Once you track down who it is with a camera, go to their door and bring them a gift. Tell them you're sorry that they feel the dogs are barking a lot (a politician's apology) but you'd rather they tell you any issues in person and not with notes. Give them your phone number in case they have an issue to discuss. You could also give them a passive invitation "Let me know if your kids ever want to come play with my dogs sometime, they would love it!" The Karen couple will still be seething under the surface, but they won't feel comfortable leaving notes or being so outwardly aggressive anymore because 1. you know who they are and 2. you killed them with kindness, so mentally it's going to fuck them a little bit.
As I stated in this thread, their barking has gone down dramatically since using the collars. I'm trying to accommodate my neighbors. 10,000 repetitions of telling my dogs "no barking" has done absolutely nothing to modify their behavior. The collars also have a beep and vibrate setting. It's not an automatic shock collar, it's remote controlled and has a lot of utility outside of the shock.

I can't win with the people in this thread. I'm an asshole for using a shock collar to curb my dog's barking, and I'm an asshole for simply having dogs that bark, even though I'm with them all day every day and I don't tolerate excessive barking from them.

I live in Salt Lake

Obv. extremely Mormon

But back in October I moved into an affluent and even more Mormon neighborhood

I'm tucked into the hillside of Mt. Olympus

olympus.jpg

When I moved here, I had one puppy left from a litter of puppies from my dogs. They're half great pyrenes, half akita.

When I left the house, I kept the puppy outside for brief periods of time (2-3 hours at max). Maybe only happened a couple of times before the note appeared.

One day after coming home I find a handwritten note from one of my neighbors complaining about my dogs barking. The note had no contact information. No info about who was bitching at all. Just a note from some dumb bitch generally complaining about the dog being outside (I have a huge backyard with a doghouse)

Several months later, the puppy has now found a home, I come home to another handwritten note on my door. The note is complaining about my dogs barking outside. It states that my dogs are barking constantly, and that it is an everyday occurrence. And that "the neighborhood" would appreciate it if that wasn't happening.

Here's the thing -
1. I work from home and I'm around my dogs almost 24/7, and they are absolutely not barking constantly. I have shock collars on them and work with them. It is only the female of the 2 dogs that is a barker, the male does not bark much at all. After putting the shock collars on them, the female's barking has declined dramatically
2. I have several neighbors around me with dogs that are frequent barkers. My next door neighbor has a husky and he's one of the constant barkers. I don't care and don't say shit.
3. There are some kids behind my house that I have caught a half dozen times antagonizing my dogs to get them to bark and I've yelled at them to stop

Tonight, I come home from two hours of being at a bar, and there is a sheriff's card with a case number stuck into my door.

I'm fearing the worst, thinking my dogs escaped and attacked someone and/or attacked their pet.

I call the number and relay to dispatch what is going on. A few minutes later, an officer calls me and tells me what's going on - a neighbor is "concerned" about my dogs being outside.

My dogs didn't escape. My dog's didn't hurt anyone. They were chilling in my backyard.

Again, my dogs are fucking great pyrenes / akitas. They are fucking snow dogs meant to live outside in the Japanese and French mountains. They lay down in the snow like it's a bed.

What the fuck do I do about this uppity Mormon loser neighbor sherbros? They fucking refuse to communicate with me like a man and exclusively leave anonymous notes on my door, and they call the police.

It's obvious to me at this point that whoever is doing this is some loser mormon cunt (a female), given the handwriting on the notes. The cops aren't going to do anything/can't do anything because no crime has been committed. I am around my dogs virtually 24/7. I put them outside for long stretches of time when I'm at home so they get exercise and outdoor stimulation. I don't tolerate excessive barking from them and shock and/or discpline them when they do - which is only a matter of seconds when it happens.

What the fuck am I supposed to do in this situation?

Tomorrow I am going to go door to door knocking on my neighbors houses to find out who the fuck is doing this.
Your dogs bark more than you realize, you have just become desensitized to it. Your choice to own dogs should not effect the lives of your neighbors. If you bought shock collars for the dogs and state the female is a barker you know there is a problem but you are trying to put the blame on your weirdo church neighbors when they just do not want to listen to your poorly trained dogs.

TL/DR You are the new twat to the neighborhood and your dogs are noisy.

As I stated in this thread, their barking has gone down dramatically since using the collars. I'm trying to accommodate my neighbors. 10,000 repetitions of telling my dogs "no barking" has done absolutely nothing to modify their behavior. The collars also have a beep and vibrate setting. It's not an automatic shock collar, it's remote controlled and has a lot of utility outside of the shock.

I can't win with the people in this thread. I'm an asshole for using a shock collar to curb my dog's barking, and I'm an asshole for simply having dogs that bark, even though I'm with them all day every day and I don't tolerate excessive barking from them.
Circling back, you are still an asshole no matter what for trying to blame the neighbors but I think you are in the right with the shock collars. Another thing you could try is the vinegar trick that they use with show dogs. Fill a spray bottle with 75% water and 25% white vinegar. When the dogs bark, give them a squirt in the mouth with the mixture. Over time they will associate barking with the bad taste and should stop barking.

Definitely don't just go knock on your neighbour's door and talk to them about it like a grown man would. Instead make a thread about it on a forum and cry about it like a pathetic eunuch instead.

Circling back, you are still an asshole no matter what for trying to blame the neighbors but I think you are in the right with the shock collars. Another thing you could try is the vinegar trick that they use with show dogs. Fill a spray bottle with 75% water and 25% white vinegar. When the dogs bark, give them a squirt in the mouth with the mixture. Over time they will associate barking with the bad taste and should stop barking.
I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

And it's not neighbors, its one person that is doing this.

Definitely don't just go knock on your neighbour's door and talk to them about it like a grown man would. Instead make a thread about it on a forum and cry about it like a pathetic eunuch instead.
You must be illiterate. That's literally what I said I was going to do. But I can't exactly go knocking on doors at night.

Your dogs bark more than you realize, you have just become desensitized to it. Your choice to own dogs should not effect the lives of your neighbors. If you bought shock collars for the dogs and state the female is a barker you know there is a problem but you are trying to put the blame on your weirdo church neighbors when they just do not want to listen to your poorly trained dogs.

TL/DR You are the new twat to the neighborhood and your dogs are noisy.
No, I'm not desensitized to it. I don't tolerate excessive barking from them, meaning barking more than 2-3 times. After 2-3 consecutive barks I give them a warning beep on their collar, then a light shock if it continues. And I'm consistent about it. Their barking has probably reduced 75% since I started using it a couple of months ago. Also like I said - I have 2-3 nearby neighbors with dogs that bark frequently. Actually when I was writing this thread at about 2 a.m last night, one of my neighbors dogs was barking and howling for 10-15 minutes.

I love how you made a point that I already made and called my manhood into question, then when you realized you look like an idiot for suggesting I do something I already said I was going to do, you just go back to the drawing board and find something else to be a dick about.

Just funny to see you're as dysfunctional irl as you are online. Not getting along with your neighbours is up there with not getting along with your wife's parents in social outcast bingo.

Just funny to see you're as dysfunctional irl as you are online. Not getting along with your neighbours is up there with not getting along with your wife's parents in social outcast bingo.
Don't you have a rape victim to go make fun of somewhere?

If what you are saying is true, then I would mail a letter to all my neighbors explaining the entirety of the situation and apologizing for any confusion and expressing my desire to be a good neighbor and addition to the neighborhood...

I would not even hint at negativity towards the person putting the letter on the door because you don't want to add drama to anyone's life and put yourself in a bad light because of it.

I guess you can bring them inside. May be the only solution.

I hate people that live in neighborhoods that somehow can't avoid having dogs that live outside.

Vegan in SLC with barking dogs… something tells me you wouldn’t say you want to murk your Muslim neighbor…

That aside; you should actually write your own notes and put them on doors. Or go over and talk to them like a man about the situation, to gauge just how bad it really is. If multiple neighbors are saying the same, they might have a case. Probably best not to just assume you are right in this situation. Not saying you aren’t either. Need more data.

Back