Wait, people are giving Garbrandt and Dillashaw a chance at 145 lb?

FW is not a grappling heavy division. They'd do pretty well considering they'd have speed advantages and they both pack power.

I guess it’s probably because mma has less weight divisions. I remember thinking lightweights were midgets in the mid to late 2000s. Then met Clay Guida and he was bigger than me. Most average men would probably cut to FW if they were able to get into shape and compete.

Funny thing. My uncle is a massive boxing fan but doesn’t like mma. I was watching Woodley v Thompson and he was so confused by the term welterweight being used for a 170 pound man

I don't blame him - I've been watching both since I was a kid, MMA since UFC1, but I'm more of a boxing fan so I still can't get used to calling super middleweights welterweights, featherweights flyweights etc. It's nuts :D

I mean, believe it or not some of them are actually 4 divisions apart. MMA flyweight (125) is boxing featherweight (126), and boxing flyweight is only 112 pounds, 4 divisions below featherweight. Same with MMA featherweight, that's 145, basically the same as boxing welterweight (147), which is of course 4 divisions above boxing featherweight.

And yeah that's a good point about average size men and FW, in boxing the 147 to 160 divisions have always been popular and considered average size divisions, generally 5'10, 5'11, lean and well muscled. And obviously many of them cut a lot of weight, so these are not small people.

If you've ever seen famous welterweights like Leonard, Hearns, Tito, Oscar out of the ring, you'd realise they are not small guys in the slightest.

Length and height does not equal 'larger'.

He wasn't bigger than Conor, or Pettis (How would they fare at 170??). Aldo weighs the same as him too.

There's no significant size difference between him and Conor or Pettis. Him, Conor and Pettis can defeat certain opponents at 170. This is proven by Conor defeating Nate, who while clearly not the best at 170, can fight and do well there. He's won fights at 170. If you're saying that Max Holloway can't win any fights at 170, you're just plain wrong.

Barao was beating Stephens in the first round before he gassed, size might come into play with the elite top 5 guys but Stephens wouldn't touch Dillashaw.

Okay so, you have to then ask - why did he gas?

They are tiny for the 145 lb divison and would get ragdolled. Garbrandt is 5'6.5" with narrow shoulders. Dillashaw is even shorter at 5'5.5" and is not stocky and muscular like mendez.

Both of these guys could make 125 lb with effort and probably walk around 150-155 lb.

Any top 15 that implements wrestling on them can GNP them to TKO. Elkins would pick these guys up and dominate them on the ground.

Size difference would be comical against a big featherweight vs them.

Uriah Faber was 145 world champ for some time... Mandes had two title shots

Cody and TJ have been kicking their asses in the Gym for several years.

They can swim in the pool... don’t know if they make top5

I htink that they could compete realistically up to 155 lbs and win fights.

Conor competed at 170, and realistically could beat some guys at 185. I think he could KO guys like Romero, and possibly decision guys with poor grappling.

I htink that they could compete realistically up to 155 lbs and win fights.

Conor competed at 170, and realistically could beat some guys at 185. I think he could KO guys like Romero, and possibly decision guys with poor grappling.

Something is wrong with you.

Barao isn't exactly known for his conditioning.

No, but he can go five rounds. Here, he gassed in less than three. That alone should tell you something.

There's no significant size difference between him and Conor or Pettis. Him, Conor and Pettis can defeat certain opponents at 170. This is proven by Conor defeating Nate, who while clearly not the best at 170, can fight and do well there. He's won fights at 170. If you're saying that Max Holloway can't win any fights at 170, you're just plain wrong.

Lol I never said he can't win fights at 170.

My point was that he'd be undersized at welterweight, which I don't see how is hard to understand..

Lol I never said he can't win fights at 170.

My point was that he'd be undersized at welterweight, which I don't see how is hard to understand..

Not sure why you replied to my post then. He'd be no more undersized than McGregor or Diaz if he fought there.

Not sure why you replied to my post then. He'd be no more undersized than McGregor or Diaz if he fought there.

Diaz weighs more than Mcgregor. Conor has more mass than Holloway. He'd be smaller than both at 170.

Maybe, maybe he is the same size as Con, but Nate is bigger than both.

Thats different. Whittaker is 6ft and thats, give or take an inch, the average MWs height. Whittaker had power at 170 and the guys hes fighting may be slightly bigger but not close to the discrepancy that TJ and Cody would have against 145ers. Before you post a picture between Rockhold and Whittaker, know that Rockhold outsizes anyone at MW. Imagine a staredown between little TJ and a guy like Zabit Magomedsharipov or Holloway.
Both are taller than barao, Mendez, Frankie etc.

Cody is 5’8, not 5’6 like TS is suggesting. Both can hang at 145, although the larger 145s will have the strength advantage.

Diaz weighs more than Mcgregor. Conor has more mass than Holloway. He'd be smaller than both at 170.

Maybe, maybe he is the same size as Con, but Nate is bigger than both.

I won’t say that he’s definitively bigger, or try to argue anything more than them being equal. But compare them in recent fights. Holloway has looked larger than Conor to me. And not just in height and reach.

UFC-218-Holloway-vs-Aldo-2-Official-Weigh-in-Results_645091_OpenGraphImage.jpg

20161111073635_12_McGregor.JPG

That’s Holloway weighing in for 145 to McGregor’s 155.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back