Wait, people are giving Garbrandt and Dillashaw a chance at 145 lb?

Dillashaw and Garbrandt would destroy most of the FW division. They are too skilled. They wouldn't be champs, but they'd beat everyone but Holloway and maybe Edgar and maybe Ortega.

Lol Edgar is a bad example of a big FW who'd be a medium LW. The dude only had to take a modest shit after eating a full breakfast at Denny's to make 155.
Frankie is NOT a big featherweight.
(Maybe that is what you were trying to say but even in jest he isn't a "big FW")

He would be an average sized bantamweight, all of his opponents at 145 have been bigger than him and he was insanely undersized at 155

he is just an amazing athlete and a very hard working very skilled fighter.

I’ve always thought the gap between BW and FW biggest difference in terms of body composition in the smaller weight classes. FW and LW can be interchangeable at a higher lever to a certain degree. Whereas FLW and BW can be. Simple way is Big FW could be Small-Med LW and the size difference wouldn’t be too detrimental. Frankie/Conor are a good example.

A lot of LW and FW fighters have similar frames and larger FW I could see putting on a bit of muscle and fighting at LW as well as med-small LW fighting at FW.
A BW like Cruz is quite wiry and uses that in his style where adding extra muscle to be a FW could compromise that. Adding muscle to someone like TJ I’d see as detrimental.

Yeah I suppose it's similar in boxing. 135 and below kind of look small, with a few exceptions, 147+ not so much. At WW (147) and above, you start to get fairly big guys that no one would really consider small.

It's weird that a lot of MMA fans consider 145 to be a small division. No one in boxing thanks like that. In boxing, 147 is a classic division that's been home to monsters like Leonard, Duran, Hearns (6'1 beast that hit like a truck), Sugar Ray Robinson etc.

It's all the more impressive that Pacquiao for example started at like 106 pounds or something, and moved all the way up to 154, slapping the shit out of big solid fighters that cut a lot of weight. Floyd too, to a lesser extent.

Dillashaw and Garbrandt would destroy most of the FW division. They are too skilled. They wouldn't be champs, but they'd beat everyone but Holloway and maybe Edgar and maybe Ortega.

That's exactly right. I'd favour them over everyone apart from the 3 you listed. Especially Max and Ortega, as they are fucking big for the division, and much bigger than Cody and TJ.

They are tiny for the 145 lb divison and would get ragdolled. Garbrandt is 5'6.5" with narrow shoulders. Dillashaw is even shorter at 5'5.5" and is not stocky and muscular like mendez.

Both of these guys could make 125 lb with effort and probably walk around 150-155 lb.

Any top 15 that implements wrestling on them can GNP them to TKO. Elkins would pick these guys up and dominate them on the ground.

Size difference would be comical against a big featherweight vs them.
HAHAHAHAH JEEZ LOUISSE HAHAHAHAHA
6d9ab0c45bcffbc6c431ade58b4ab9b6.gif

Yeah, I mean people were saying McGregor was bullying featherweights. Both of them have said they can make 125. And then you have guys like Holloway who could probably fight at 170lbs. They’re way too small.

Holloway at 170? Bruh he's super skinny, and would be a normal sized 155er at most.

Frankie is NOT a big featherweight.
(Maybe that is what you were trying to say but even in jest he isn't a "big FW")

He would be an average sized bantamweight, all of his opponents at 145 have been bigger than him and he was insanely undersized at 155

he is just an amazing athlete and a very hard working very skilled fighter.
I know
The guy I was replying to in my post said that Frankie was a good example of a fighter who was a big FW who could make a small to medium size LW.

I was poking fun at that. Like I said, the ddue only has to take a modest shit to make LW, and a slightly more sizable poop and some time in the sauna to makr 145.

He would be a fairly big BW seeing as he walks around 156-158.

1- who is saying this?

2- they are talented fighters, their skills would come with them to whatever weight they fought at and they would adjust their bodies to the best of their abilities

3- high level athletes generally know their bodies very well. As such it is safe to assume that they have already put sufficient thought into what weight class they are best suited for (and where else they may have opportunities and success) and are fighting in the class they are in for good reason.
If they switch, up or down, assume a similar amount of thought will go into that decision (as well as consideration for financial/success based opportunities)

Yeah I suppose it's similar in boxing. 135 and below kind of look small, with a few exceptions, 147+ not so much. At WW (147) and above, you start to get fairly big guys that no one would really consider small.

It's weird that a lot of MMA fans consider 145 to be a small division. No one in boxing thanks like that. In boxing, 147 is a classic division that's been home to monsters like Leonard, Duran, Hearns (6'1 beast that hit like a truck), Sugar Ray Robinson etc.

It's all the more impressive that Pacquiao for example started at like 106 pounds or something, and moved all the way up to 154, slapping the shit out of big solid fighters that cut a lot of weight. Floyd too, to a lesser extent.

I guess it’s probably because mma has less weight divisions. I remember thinking lightweights were midgets in the mid to late 2000s. Then met Clay Guida and he was bigger than me. Most average men would probably cut to FW if they were able to get into shape and compete.

Funny thing. My uncle is a massive boxing fan but doesn’t like mma. I was watching Woodley v Thompson and he was so confused by the term welterweight being used for a 170 pound man

Holloway is skinny and has like a 69 inch reach, who the fuck is he gonna beat at 170?

Literally mid tier guys like Neil Magny would maul him

Conor was skinny too. What’s your point? He looks like a zombie at weigh ins, and there are welterweights shorter in height and reach than him. Can’t say the same about Garbrandt and Dillashaw.

Question, what featherweights can make flyweight?

Pretty much agree about Cody. Would have agreed too about TJ but I didn't think RDA had a chance at ww and he just beat Robbie Lawler so who knows

I just know if Mr. Holloway can KO the great Jose Aldo twice in a row then it doesn’t matter how much I love No Love or Killashaw they would get killed by max.

Conor was skinny too. What’s your point? He looks like a zombie at weigh ins, and there are welterweights shorter in height and reach than him. Can’t say the same about Garbrandt and Dillashaw.

Question, what featherweights can make flyweight?

Cody and TJ have power that could carry up to 145, ONE weight class higher

Max does not have power to carry up to 170 TWO weights higher

I know
The guy I was replying to in my post said that Frankie was a good example of a fighter who was a big FW who could make a small to medium size LW.

I was poking fun at that. Like I said, the ddue only has to take a modest shit to make LW, and a slightly more sizable poop and some time in the sauna to makr 145.

He would be a fairly big BW seeing as he walks around 156-158.

Lots of BW are that size--cruz, Moraes, even Dodson gets up there. Fuck, Faber was bigger than Edgar when they fought.

TJ can bulk up to be a decent sized FW. Cody not so much.
Cody use to walk around in the 160s before getting in his current nutrition plan that has him walking around at 148lbs. TJ has never been much bigger then high 150s..

I doubt they would want to go up to FW. There's a reason why they are more suited for BW. Both of them are good at BW, if it ain't broke....
Both have said they want to end their careers at 145..

Back