VIDEO: Insane Blackzillians Sparring Session Between Anthony Johnson vs Tyrone Spong!

From my experience (which is limited) this type of sparring isn't needed for these types of fighters. Hard sparring sessions are good for guys/gals who want to be fighters that are trying to get used to being hit or getting used to fast paced violence. Once fighters get to a certain level these hard sparring sessions seem useless.

Rumble has done little to be considered the GOAT LHW striker. I mean, look at previous champions. He might be top 5-10.

You've got

Wanderlei Silva
Chuck Liddell
Rampage Jackson
Shogun
Overeem
Hendo
Jones would out strike him
Vitor Belfort
Tyron Spong
Igor
Bas

I'd say a vast majority of these guys could hang with him on the feet, if not beat him.

really??

he smokes 90% of this list at least

lol at that rumble kick. And he wonders why he gets repeatedly taken down by wrestlers or? "Here is my leg, look at it, I'll wave it in the air a bit, nice leg isn't it spongey?"

@ LHW ?

Cormier never had a chance to grab him after Rumble's kicks.Rumble slipped after throwing a heavy right hook in the first round where Cormier grabbed him from behind.In the second and third rounds,it was Rumble who initially wrestled with Cormier.

Gustafsson is a very good wrestler,Rumble threw a couple of head kicks and Gustafsson never had a chance to use his wrestling.

Rumble threw SHITLOAD of kicks in the Davis fight,but still showed perfect takedown defense.

So I don't know what you are talking about here

That is not insane...nothing happens there..

I'm not a fan of this kind of "training" ( probably the reason people like Lawler don't even spar anymore ) but nobody should be surprised Rumble, who is renowned to go hard, and Spong who is Alpha as fuck and from the Netherlands, are sparring " dutch style "

almost every sparring session ive seen over the years have been like 25% speed. these guys are going 150%

not standard at all

Maybe in kinderkarate.

A good rule of thumb is 75% and it's less about speed and more about actually winding up your shots and hurting someone, and if someone starts turning it up, you turn it right up with them. Always fun seeing a new guy start going hard in sparring and getting lit up.

EDIT: What this guy said.

You don't hold back on speed or technique during sparring, you only hold back on hitting hard.

If you hold back on speed you'll never get a good at practice for actual competitions.

You don't even hold back on speed when shadowboxing.

Not sure what your background is but the sparring sessions we do is always full speed as well

Maybe in kinderkarate.

A good rule of thumb is 75% and it's less about speed and more about actually winding up your shots and hurting someone, and if someone starts turning it up, you turn it right up with them. Always fun seeing a new guy start going hard in sparring and getting lit up.

EDIT: What this guy said.

just google mma sparring and its all shadow boxing

Don't get me wrong , Johnson is a scary 1st round MMA fighter but he would get stretcher'd if Spong went at least 75% in a standup fight.

Don't get me wrong , Johnson is a scary 1st round MMA fighter but he would get stretcher'd if Spong went at least 75% in a standup fight.

i doubt it seriously, 1 punch from rumble and spong is getting airlifted to the hospital

Can anyone who trains tell me what the actual advantages/benefits are to going that hard during a sparring session?

I would think the cons would far outweigh the pros, no?

Like most things in life this is a spectrum and not a binary (hard-soft). Going harder allows you to learn to deal with real speed attacks with enough power to hurt (hopefully not injure). If you train too soft you will get shocked by the pain and intensity of a real match. If you train too hard you risk being sidelined with injuries more often and accumulating the kind of brain trauma that shortens careers.

I found going about 2/3rds speed was more than hard enough to get a feel for competition without getting mangled all the time. If you are scaring the spectators with the speed and power you're exhibiting then you are going way too f'ing hard.

Can anyone who trains tell me what the actual advantages/benefits are to going that hard during a sparring session?

I would think the cons would far outweigh the pros, no?

I've heard fighters say that it mimics the fight so that ehy are never surprised in the cage, which makes sense, but yeah the cons probably outweigh the pros when you consider brain damage.

Nothing that insane in my opinion. If only one of those shot would have land clean would have been pretty insane then hehe

Spong was taking it easy , Johnson looked like he was fighting for his life

Spong by Ko 1st round easy

Rumble could do well in kickboxing IMO. Ppl always bring up some MMA strikers they feel would do well in kickboxing but with Rumble hes the real deal folks
not saying hed be the best but i could see him finding success in Glory. Never been outstruck in his career damn near kills anyone that strikes with him. Prolly the GOAT LHW striker in MMA and i dont think any but a couple HWs right now could strike with him
Strange thing was that he couldn't ko Arlovskii at hw!

Back