VIDEO: Insane Blackzillians Sparring Session Between Anthony Johnson vs Tyrone Spong!

Tyrone kicking.. nice to see. Only with his left though..

Rumble's technique is so painfully ugly to watch. Looks like a drunken bar fight brawler throwing haymakers eyes on the floor.

My guess would be that those guys were allready pretty tired by the time of the sparing session so its natural that the technique suffers from it. But if Rumble wasnt that tired and if he punches like that against Glover imo he is going to get ko´ed

Rumble is the one throwing bombs, but I don't think Spong minds that much as there's no way he is getting hit by those.

i thought the blackzillians went broke and are disbanding

I love how probably 98% percent of Sherdog probably has never been in a 'legit' sparring session. Yet they turn on there computer with there greasy cheeto fingers to criticize dem fighters and how they would've done so much better, the internet is a beautiful place. On topic: this is not that 'insane', if insane at all. I do understand these guys are the top but this is just regular sparring over here in Holland for amateurs.

Can anyone who trains tell me what the actual advantages/benefits are to going that hard during a sparring session?

I would think the cons would far outweigh the pros, no?
Mind set, learning to control adrenaline sparring and fighting is definitely Two different things . One thing I noticed when I began training was how much I loved fighting because of the adrenaline rush but sparing didn't give me the same rush because there was no real danger

Tyrone kicking.. nice to see. Only with his left though..
His MMA/KIckboxing days are over, he keeps saying his leg is fine and it has fully healed but that's a lie. He could make much more doing MMA/K1 than he currently does boxing.

Can anyone who trains tell me what the actual advantages/benefits are to going that hard during a sparring session?

I would think the cons would far outweigh the pros, no?

Fight pace is very different to standard sparring pace. You need some of both.

Sparring at 25%? Thats not sparring bruh, thats called touch butt

Ever seen the Thai sparring ? That's why these guys can have 200+ fights in their careers and don't pull out. They still have good speed, just not much power.

Professional fighters are never the sharpest tools in the box. There's a reason they are getting punched in the head for a living after all ;)

What is the point of throwing like that at your sparring partner? How is that going to help you get better?

I'm baffled when I see world class fighters train like this.

If you're trying to work on your power then hit a fucking bag or some thai pads, sparring is not the time to work on power.

I'm gonna go ahead and trust spong and rumbles opinion over yours.

Ever seen the Thai sparring ? That's why these guys can have 200+ fights in their careers and don't pull out. They still have good speed, just not much power.
They dont go 25%. Thais dont do alot of boxing work so not alot of risk of head injuries

almost every sparring session ive seen over the years have been like 25% speed. these guys are going 150%

not standard at all
Daniel cormiers training partner broke his hand on cormiers head last week I believe after he landed a left hook on the champ. Seems to be standard at AKA too.

Back