Video game prices have remained the same for nearly 3 decades so why do we complain?

Well, it just got them record downvotes on Reddit, and familiarized their brand negatively to a new slew of casual gamers (no, not all publicity is good publicity, not all branding is good branding). They already have recently bypassed Ubisoft as having the word reputation in all of the videogame world. They're cementing that.

They backpedaled before even the official launch because supply and demand won't protect your market pool from a toxified branding.

I'm not going to buy it, and I intended to buy it. This sucks because I feverishly, obsessively, zealously adore Star Wars. I would forgive them, but only if I knew it wasn't a simple business decision to them to renege. If, as you say, they didn't think the backlash would be that bad...they would have gone forward.

They'll listen when (and only when) their pockets hurt.

There had been plenty of bad publicity over DLC, and it made little difference. There have been games in the past with similar price structures that got bad press, but people still played for it. Sure it wasn't as highly down voted on Reddit, but the market size probably wasn't even 10% of the market size for Battlefield.

Most of the people that down voted will still buy it, and I bet a good amount of them will still buy some of the micro transactions.

They didn't backpeddle. The system is the same, they just reduced the costs.

There had been plenty of bad publicity over DLC, and it made little difference. There have been games in the past with similar price structures that got bad press, but people still played for it. Sure it wasn't as highly down voted on Reddit, but the market size probably wasn't even 10% of the market size for Battlefield.

Most of the people that down voted will still buy it, and I bet a good amount of them will still buy some of the micro transactions.

They didn't backpeddle. The system is the same, they just reduced the costs.
That isn't how you spell "backpedaled", and yes, they backpedaled.
EA Has Removed Star Wars Battlefront 2's Microtransactions Hours Before Launch

If you're going to have opinions it's good to keep up. Otherwise you find yourself declaring that something will be meaningless when literally hours earlier it had already proved meaningful.

That isn't how you spell "backpedaled", and yes, they backpedaled.
EA Has Removed Star Wars Battlefront 2's Microtransactions Hours Before Launch

If you're going to have opinions it's good to keep up. Otherwise you find yourself declaring that something will be meaningless when literally hours earlier it had already proved meaningful.

I guess you didn't pay attention to them saying they will bringing back microtransactions once they've got everything sorted?

Technically it's back-pedal. If you want to be a pedant, at least do it right.

I guess you didn't pay attention to them saying they will bringing back microtransactions once they've got everything sorted?
Is it so hard to just admit that you put your foot in your mouth? They're hedging. They're running the mulligan as a PR stint because the Reddit record and ensuing gamer outcry was too great to ignore. It made a difference. Supply and demand didn't prove immune. Now they're going to pretend to remove it, since that is important, and they want that headline, while they lay the groundwork to restore a more palatable model in the future.
Technically it's back-pedal. If you want to be a pedant, at least do it right.
No, actually, no, it isn't.

Stupid, whiny entitled hobbit gamers taking away my precious, precious crystals

SentimentalDismalAphid-max-1mb.gif

Is it so hard to just admit that you put your foot in your mouth? They're hedging. They're running the mulligan as a PR stint because the Reddit record and ensuing gamer outcry was too great to ignore. It made a difference. Supply and demand didn't prove immune. Now they're going to pretend to remove it, since that is important, and they want that headline, while they lay the groundwork to restore a more palatable model in the future.

Actually, yes, it is.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/back-pedal

They've removed it temporarily so they can re-evaluate it. In a few weeks they'll reintroduce it with a fairer pricing structure. Back-pedaling would be removing the system entirely.

It could be.

Or simply they are trying to have as many people buy the game and then slap them with microtransactions after they fall to the sunk cost fallacy.

Actually, yes, it is.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/back-pedal

They've removed it temporarily so they can re-evaluate it. In a few weeks they'll reintroduce it with a fairer pricing structure. Back-pedaling would be removing the system entirely.
You realize the Unabridged Oxford Dictionary holds an entry for that word without hyphenation, too, right? And that all the non-British dictionaries online display the word without contraction?
http://wikidiff.com/backpedalled/backpedaled
Notice the Oxford also uses the stylized British spelling of "backpedalled".

One of the keys to being a pedant is understanding the difference between error and style, grasshopper.
It could be.

Or simply they are trying to have as many people buy the game and then slap them with microtransactions after they fall to the sunk cost fallacy.
You're paraphrasing me back to myself.

Yes, this is precisely the strategy. It isn't typical. Ergo, the public outcry stimulated a highly unorthodox business response.

Its not that pricing thats the problem, its what you get for the price. Many many moons ago when you payed $80 for a game like Chrono Trigger on SNES you got 100% of a finished game, now youre paying $80 for 60% and expected to pay even more for the full experience and thats bullshit

You realize the Unabridged Oxford Dictionary holds an entry for that word without hyphenation, too, right? And that all the non-British dictionaries online display the word without contraction?
http://wikidiff.com/backpedalled/backpedaled
Notice the Oxford also uses the stylized British spelling of "backpedalled".

One of the keys to being a pedant is understanding the difference between error and style, grasshopper.

You're paraphrasing me back to myself.

Yes, this is precisely the strategy. It isn't typical. Ergo, the public outcry stimulated a highly unorthodox business response.

The key to being a pedant is accuracy. Knowing the differences is irrelevant if you do not know how to correctly apply those differences. If you want to correct my spelling, do it right or don't do it at all.

The key to being a pedant is accuracy. Knowing the differences is irrelevant if you do not know how to correctly apply those differences. If you want to correct my spelling, do it right or don't do it at all.

...this, coming from the one that argued buying physical discs is "DLC," without knowing what the D stood for?

So it "backpeddle" the Australasian spelling of the word? Pretty sure I did it right.

I corrected your misapprehension of the gravity of this game's horrible launch impacting EA's brand, and their sensitivity to the backlash. That was accurate.
I corrected your misspelling of backpedal. That was accurate.
I corrected your misunderstanding of objective "accuracy" with regard to regional dialects. That was accurate.

You can take your licks, and slink on, or you can double down, and eat more. I've always had patience for the spooning.

So it "backpeddle" the Australasian spelling of the word? Pretty sure I did it right.

I corrected your misapprehension of the gravity of this game's horrible launch impacting EA's brand, and their sensitivity to the backlash. That was accurate.
I corrected your misspelling of backpedal. That was accurate.
I corrected your misunderstanding of objective "accuracy" with regard to regional dialects. That was accurate.

You can take your licks, and slink on, or you can double down, and eat more. I've always had patience for the spooning.

It's "So is", not "So it".

Must be fun spending your days worrying about winning on the internet, rather than actually being correct.
I'm not the one hounding typos.

Trust me, it's fun.

Back