Video game prices have remained the same for nearly 3 decades so why do we complain?

Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction and Brood War for Starcraft I think was what started the snowball effect. Huge DLC back then or as they used to be called... "expansion packs"
Expansion packs were clearly a different thing. They retailed for cheaper than a full game, came out long after the original game and were complete experiences. The term DLC can cover a lot of territory, including the 30 hour DLC for the Witcher 3 that is a throwback to the old days. However, most people are complaining about 2 hour side missions sold at 15 bucks a pop that likely should have been in the fucking game to begin with.

There is very clearly some harmfully business practices exercised under the guise of DLC today. I have a hard time believing that you guys defending it in this thread are really so blind that you don’t see it because it’s not a particularly well kept secret at this point. A question you guys should really be asking yourselves is why you are defending it. To me it seems that at best it is stubbornness.

Fuck my memory....damn I've invested too much $ into games lol.
I traded everything in at a video games store a decade later, over a £1000 of stuff,got £5 for that Street fighter 2, although no money changed hands,i just took a new Xbox home from the store, wish I had have kept the old genesis/mega drive console and games,watched more dvd's on the xbox,than I played games.

I traded everything in at a video games store a decade later, over a £1000 of stuff,got £5 for that Street fighter 2, although no money changed hands,i just took a new Xbox home from the store, wish I had have kept the old genesis/mega drive console and games,watched more dvd's on the xbox,than I played games.
I wish I had my older systems too. Only games I really had for Genesis were streets of rage 2 and sonic. They kept me entertained though! I need to get one of those game boxes so I can play the Roms.

I remember getting Dragon Warrior for the NES for $69.99 in 1986.

That's equivalent to $158 now when adjusted for inflation.

Actually games are cheaper now due to inflation.

If I'm paying full price for a game I expect to get the full game.

I just wait a few years until they release the entire full game as one and then I even wait until that goes on sale. I rarely pay more than $20 for a videogame.

I just wait a few years until they release the entire full game as one and then I even wait until that goes on sale. I rarely pay more than $20 for a videogame.

Single player games are great on discount but waiting years for multiplayer games kinda sucks. Longer queue times, less updates, getting your ass kicked every game,etc. That's why I already pre-ordered Dragon Ball Fighterz.

Expansion packs were clearly a different thing. They retailed for cheaper than a full game, came out long after the original game and were complete experiences. The term DLC can cover a lot of territory, including the 30 hour DLC for the Witcher 3 that is a throwback to the old days. However, most people are complaining about 2 hour side missions sold at 15 bucks a pop that likely should have been in the fucking game to begin with.

There is very clearly some harmfully business practices exercised under the guise of DLC today. I have a hard time believing that you guys defending it in this thread are really so blind that you don’t see it because it’s not a particularly well kept secret at this point. A question you guys should really be asking yourselves is why you are defending it. To me it seems that at best it is stubbornness.

What on earth are you talking about? Clearly you didn't read my post correctly. I never defended DLC. I was explaining that DLC has been around since the 90s. They just went under the nominclature Expansion Packs back then. Online gaming only existed on PC or very rudimentary modems on good ole 56k dial up, so dlc wouldn't be possible.

It's true that expansion packs were usually big and developed quite a while after launch at that time (late 90s, early 00s). But it was an early time and extra content for existing IPs were still in its infancy. Why are you having a difficult time understanding this??

Street Fighter 2 for the SNES cost me $80 bucks at software etc when it was released (well like 75 n change).

Phantasy Star 4 for the genesis was like 80 bucks too. price back then largely depended on cart size and popularity. nowadays, it sucks to know i'll pay 60 bucks for a game and only buy a portion of it. if they wanted more, charge more.

Usually the only games I buy on day 1 are from Nintendo, there are only a few exceptions. Anything with season passes and I either wait to buiy the game or wait until the season pass is a fraction of the initial cost before getting that.

$80 just to unlock Vader is complete bullshit.

Nobody, and no context, can defend the microtransaction model EA was attempting to implement. It is downright atrocious, and needs to lose some assholes some money.

What on earth are you talking about? Clearly you didn't read my post correctly. I never defended DLC. I was explaining that DLC has been around since the 90s. They just went under the nominclature Expansion Packs back then. Online gaming only existed on PC or very rudimentary modems on good ole 56k dial up, so dlc wouldn't be possible.

It's true that expansion packs were usually big and developed quite a while after launch at that time (late 90s, early 00s). But it was an early time and extra content for existing IPs were still in its infancy. Why are you having a difficult time understanding this??

what on earth, indeed.

Nobody, and no context, can defend the microtransaction model EA was attempting to implement. It is downright atrocious, and needs to lose some assholes some money.

check the temperature in hell, madmick and i agree.

Pay to win is a separate topic. Those who want to spend on loot boxes will have an advantage, which defeats the purpose of a original price tag. If micro transactions make up to 20-50% of a company's revenue, then that's a separate topic as well. You have MP-only titles for that. Don't screw the customer with false price tags is the point.

The problem is, there is 1 big fat defense for it. Supply and demand. There are plenty of people out there daft enough to spend such money on products. If there weren't these companies would not be doing it.

It's the same logic as paying £500,000 for a house that cost £3000 to build.

The problem is, there is 1 big fat defense for it. Supply and demand. There are plenty of people out there daft enough to spend such money on products. If there weren't these companies would not be doing it.

It's the same logic as paying £500,000 for a house that cost £3000 to build.
Well, it just got them record downvotes on Reddit, and familiarized their brand negatively to a new slew of casual gamers (no, not all publicity is good publicity, not all branding is good branding). They already have recently bypassed Ubisoft as having the word reputation in all of the videogame world. They're cementing that.

They backpedaled before even the official launch because supply and demand won't protect your market pool from a toxified branding.

I'm not going to buy it, and I intended to buy it. This sucks because I feverishly, obsessively, zealously adore Star Wars. I would forgive them, but only if I knew it wasn't a simple business decision to them to renege. If, as you say, they didn't think the backlash would be that bad...they would have gone forward.

They'll listen when (and only when) their pockets hurt.

Back