Video: Bow Hunter Attacked By Surprised Black Bear

Not positive but I've heard it depends on the type of bear.

IIRC, Black bears aren't as aggressive as grizzly/brown bears, and the fetal position while covering your neck is a good idea.

I've heard that brown bears will attack regardless of whether you are in the fetal position, and your best bet is to try and scare it away.

All of this could depend on whether or not the bear is a female with cubs in the area - in that case it may be better to just distance yourself from the cubs, as this would be mama bear's concern.

EDIT: Maybe I have this backwards. I just read that because black bears aren't aggressive and they often bluff, that you have a chance of scaring them away. Brown bears, who are more aggressive, leaves you with little choice but to drop and be still....maybe someone else can clarify.

But I do know your best chance of survival depends on your reaction to the type of bear you are encountering.
Black Bears try and make yourself big and loud, and fight back.

Grizzly, try to back away, but if it attacks, go to the ground and cover your neck and head, and hope its not hungry.

Every bear I have encountered has fortunately, run away from me. I even ran into a female Black bear with cubs once, but she just ignored me. She was also the smallest grown bear I have ever seen, probably only 100lbs, with 3 tiny cubs.

That skyrim player needs to reroll his character.

Sounds like a french guy.

TA BA NAk is the weirdest pronunciation of that I've ever heard.
Sounds like the way the say it in NB. I didn't know actually french people from France said tabernac, heh.

Man, I watched the video thinking "did he died" and then after a while he got up seemingly uninjured and I was like, "Oh, ok, he was just Canadian"

If i was a hunter where there are bears i would certainly bring some pepper spray.

Sounds like the way the say it in NB. I didn't know actually french people from France said tabernac, heh.

Man, I watched the video thinking "did he died" and then after a while he got up seemingly uninjured and I was like, "Oh, ok, he was just Canadian"

In Montreal there's MUCH more emphasis on the "r".

I hope I never get charged by a bear.

I dont have anything against hunting, and I feel this type of thing needs to happen in order to give hunting some real meaning. If you want meat then domesticate the animal. If you going to hunt it, there ought to be some danger involved.

I hope I never get charged by a bear.

Dear Lord, I would have pooped my pants and squealed like a little girl. :eek:

Was the first guy trying to do a warning shot or did he miss?

Dear Lord, I would have pooped my pants and squealed like a little girl. :eek:

Was the first guy trying to do a warning shot or did he miss?
Warning shot. Most places you can't hunt a sow (female) bears I don't think and a guy like Callen and Rinella wouldn't kill a mom with babies no matter what animal it is unless they absolutely had to.

What a pussy.

If he was a real man he would hunt with nothing more than his bare hands.

I... I can't even.

image_update_img.jpg

Fucking human males.

If he was retarded, yes.

I don't see how this was an attack, it's not like the bear broke into his house or just came out of nowhere while he was hiking. The guy was hunting, and the bear was defending himself. If the guy killed the bear would that have been considered him attacking the bear?

Fight back, coherently flee, pretty much anything but "scream like frightened girl and fall down".
At that point yelling and waving his arms trying to scare it off was the best option for his survival. Hunter was older and out of shape, no way he could outrun that bear. If he shot it with an arrow it would have just pissed the bear off and it would have mauled him. Guy was stupid all around.

He actually went back later and killed the bear, claiming it was to protect future atacks on his family.

The hunter seems like an idiot. Why in the hell did he let the bear get that close without even attempting to move?

That was a small bear. Maybe born this year even? I doubt it did anything to the guy but knock him down and watch for a reaction.

Not positive but I've heard it depends on the type of bear.

IIRC, Black bears aren't as aggressive as grizzly/brown bears, and the fetal position while covering your neck is a good idea.

I've heard that brown bears will attack regardless of whether you are in the fetal position, and your best bet is to try and scare it away.

All of this could depend on whether or not the bear is a female with cubs in the area - in that case it may be better to just distance yourself from the cubs, as this would be mama bear's concern.

EDIT: Maybe I have this backwards. I just read that because black bears aren't aggressive and they often bluff, that you have a chance of scaring them away. Brown bears, who are more aggressive, leaves you with little choice but to drop and be still....maybe someone else can clarify.

But I do know your best chance of survival depends on your reaction to the type of bear you are encountering.
Ok, brown bears, grizzlies, kodiak bears, are all the same. Black bears actually kill more people than grizzlies. The "dangerous" attacks are the young male black bears. When they get to be full size, they go looking for fights to see what they can beat up. This is when most deaths occur, because the bear is gonna fight you no matter what you do. Any other time, loud noise will scare back bears away. I have been withing 10 ft of black bears at least 10 times. The last time I was fishing out in the boonies last summer, heard some rustling in the bush behind me, and a bear head pops out. It was maybe 3 ft from my face. It just looked for a sec, backed up, and crossed the river another 20 ft down from me. I just sat there and kept still. What are ya going to do?

Back