Video. Bagwork after mt session

Its more important to mind your feet positions and head movement than where you keep your hands. its not particularly hard to smash through someone high guard after all

Especially since you keep your hands low, I'd incorporate a lot more head movement into the heavy bag drills. Now for the most part you have your chin up, hands low, and head almost completely stationary.

This.

If you want to keep your hands lower - I'd be incorporating a lot more head movement, a lot more jabs, chin down and avoid being as stationary as possible.

If you were just doing reps on the heavy bag than ignore my comment.

geeze too many keep your hands up comments lol

and yes i hold my hands low as well haha

Nothing worse than posting a video and every single comment is "keep your hands up!!!!11" like man, nobody at any level of any combat sport keeps their hands up all the time. It's inefficient and impractical.

Nothing worse than posting a video and every single comment is "keep your hands up!!!!11" like man, nobody at any level of any combat sport keeps their hands up all the time. It's inefficient and impractical.

That's really poor advice, you just need super glue for that special high guard. .........I would also go as far as to say you should be walking around in general public or at work in the office with your high guard up.........you never know when someone might jab you in the face.......o_O

Haha exactly... im gonna post a shadowboxing vid soon just to see how many people tell me to keep my hands up lol

In fact using a high guard is only one of several defensive tactics, I myself prefer to use head movement / deflection with hands down and out of the opponent vision ; the tunnel vision created by the adrenaline in a fight makes the opponent susceptible of hits outside his lowered range of vision.

is a High guard good, yes it is, but you cannot be in the high guard position 24/7. Your hands must move to maintain balance. A analogy/comparison I like to make is with surfing. The basic stance is with hands out to the side, but as they surf and move positions etc. so do the hands, to maintain balance.

When is your next fight?

Its normal that ppl focus on basic technique like keeping a high guard. I think it shows ignorance and arrogance to say to these ppl that you know what your flaws are and telling since your older you wont change it. Why posting these video? Because you want to hear how great you are?

I started boxing when i was 30 and am almost 37 now. I learned a lot and am still learning. Nowadays i am one of the better boxers of this gym i train. Only because i was and am humble and always open to learn.

No guard is perfect, rather than do that people need to learn (as their coach should say it) that guard needs to be active. Staying shelled up for more than 3 strikes is a death sentence in striking.

Personally I've been taught the high guard since I first started out, its fairly solid for me, but even then I'm never static. Like-wise newer guys should be taught this as well.

Why posting these video? Because you want to hear how great you are?
You should've seen the KylePulley threads from years back.

exp'd poster: "you're arm punching, work on putting more hips in"
KP: "No I'm not, my shorts are black so it looks that way"

Your hands are your third line of defense in my opinion, behind your footwork and head movement.

I understand it's bag work and I won't mention the hands because you have stated your reasoning.

I don't like how you reset between combos. Can I ask if there is a reason you just completely disengage and pause after throwing strikes?

Besides that the rest looked alright. You throw better kicks than me even though I read earlier you said they were bad.

Not sure what your goal is with the bags rounds or if you are just throwing random strikes?

I like to pick things to focus on each round. I also use specific combos or atleast finish on specific strikes each round.

Enjoy the training mate.

If you are gonna keep your hands low you should incorportate angles when you are moving around the bag. And actually move around the bag instead of doing the direct line "in and out" approach which is most of your movement.

Also, you ought to snap your punches a bit more regularly. Seems like you push them. If you want to be "loose and fluid" then snap your shots. If you are also just "putting in reps" make sure they are getting your muscle memory doing what you want it to do in a fight.

It sounds like you just do what you want on the bag, but like a few guys on here have already said: "how you train is how you fight."

Keep training. Good luck!

Dont agree. Nothing wrong with having a relaxed guard fight stance during bagwork. Not many advanced guys do a text book high guard during heavybag session.

I gonna go as far as saying this: IMO 100 % correct by the book guard during heavybag, will take away alot of what you are gonna get out of training on the bag.

Also:

Many different styles what work for each fighter.

Agreed! Theres many ways to train the heavy bag. Sometimes you wanna just train the specific technique and work on weight transfer or speed. I think how you shadow box is more important to how you fight...hell thats what sparring is for. If you keep your hands down in sparring then that will get fixed right away.

Hands too low? Poor habit?

Kicks are inconsistently powerful some are heavy most seem light and weak. Most seem less heavy than your right hand that should not be.

Too much ego you keep throwing your best stuff instead of working on your weaker stuff for example you will keep throwing the straight right which is solid but you should keep throwing the loaded left hook until you have it down instead of trying to hide it from us/just show your best side.

Also I would recommend 0 effort on things like the spinning elbow, spin kicks, jump spin kicks and super man punches etc until youve mastered the basic kicks and punches perfectly, pool all your effort into the high % stuff since progress is slow enough as it is in this sport for all of us, you dont want to make it even slower

Practice good foot work sliding "steps" angles, pivots, blocks parries etc defence as you do the bag but not until youve got the basic punches and kicks down to perfect form reliably. So imagine its a real fight as you do this.

I grade you C for Competent, this stuff is extremely hard to do

Last edited:
Hands too low? Poor habit?

Kicks are inconsistently powerful some are heavy most seem light and weak. Most seem less heavy than your right hand that should not be.

Too much ego you keep throwing your best stuff instead of working on your weaker stuff for example you will keep throwing the straight right which is solid but you should keep throwing the loaded left hook until you have it down instead of trying to hide it from us/just show your best side.

Also I would recommend 0 effort on things like the spinning elbow, spin kicks, jump spin kicks and super man punches etc until youve mastered the basic kicks and punches perfectly, pool all your effort into the high % stuff since progress is slow enough as it is in this sport for all of us, you dont want to make it even slower

Practice good foot work sliding "steps" angles, pivots, blocks parries etc defence as you do the bag but not until youve got the basic punches and kicks down to perfect form reliably. So imagine its a real fight as you do this.

I grade you C for Competent, this stuff is extremely hard to do

<{vega}>

I do think its important to know how much training the person had who is posting the video.
As a beginner in boxing, like I am right now, its very important and cant be said enough because its also helpful in developing a clean technical punch skill, but with seasoned fighters like Frode I agree he has his style and that works for him.

@Frode Falch

I like how relaxed you are and despite your description I think your kicks are very well developed.

thx for the vids. I like to watch other members and would be thankful for more. Especially I`d like to see annother bag work video were you use more power/full power.

Last edited:
whens your night fight man?

i remember you posting a 100 weeks to pro debut or something like that?

Back