(video) Alexander Gustafsson "I want that fight with Rumble again"

Gus is gonna have to show me something good vs Glover standing to give me confidence he can beat or stay on the feet with Rumble, because he didnt look great vs Jan standing......I think he lost the stand up in that fight and won it with the wrestling. I've personally always wanted to see this rematch between Gus and Rumble. The issue for Gus in this fight always will be that he's never been a great defensive fighter and gets hit too much in most of his fights, Rumble is the worse guy to fight considering this.

If he can stay on the feet vs Glover and not take too much damage and win the stand up with conviction then I will say he's got a good shot at beating Rumble, the wrestling is there for him now to mix it up.

Rumble landed 2 pucnhes on that gif, maybe 3, with 1 being to the back to the head lol, weird gif to post of the fight

All Gus had to do was stop bobbing and Rumble wouldn't have (allegedly) hit him in the back of the head.

Cain was so close to beat JDS in the first fight...

Maybe he didn't look like a world beater since, but he looked better against Cormier than Rumble did

Well, yeah. Gus is a better loser than rumble. He's probably the best at losing out of any top 5 in the history of the sport.

gus with that "rushing in with your hands down and no head movement" strategy only works on guys who get overwhelmed by his offense

gustafsson+vs+manuwa.gif

rumble wouldve murdered gus if he rushed in with unprotected uppercuts like that. ancient shogun cracked him for the same reason. gus rushing forward throwing multiple uppercuts in a row. just begging to get punched
O8Dq6.gif

look how many times in the above gifs, that gus' feet completely squared up with his opponent
hands low+square feet+ now headmovement=rumble fucking kills you

idk how people even say the kick counter was a fluke, ancient shogun countered his "hands down at my waist" kick also
giphy.gif

look how long gus' hands were away from his head. from the time he threw that uppercut, to after the kick, his hands never went to protect his face.

conversely, rumble never gets out of position, always throws from his stance
SlushyHandmadeFlickertailsquirrel.gif

rumble may switch stances, but he always stays composed in a fire fight and doesnt get overwhelmed in exchanges, like what gus tries to do to opponents
2djp6p3.gif

id4blkum1r1Qe.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys should check out that first Kevin Burns fight. Rumble couldn't find his range and heartlessly quit against Burns. All Gus needs to do is move and it will frustrate Rumble into quitting eventually.

You guys should check out that first Kevin Burns fight. Rumble couldn't find his range and heartlessly quit against Burns. All Gus needs to do is move and it will frustrate Rumble into quitting eventually.

What? He was winning before getting eye poked. He heartlessly quit to a massive eye poke?

Why are you bringing up fights from 5+ years ago? You saw how the rematch went.

I pick rumble to win that fight 9/10 times

Gus blocks punches with his face and brawls a lot. His style it rush in with his hands down and use his great hand speed and power to overwhelm his opponent, he has the chin to eat 1-2 punches and continue his flurry until they end up on the defensive. Gus often will often leave his stance and stand pretty square just to throw more punches, completely throwing away his defense to overwhelm them

Rumble never gets overwhelmed and never gets out of position. Even when he is swinging from the pocket or unloading on rocked opponents, he keeps his feet in position and throws from his stance always.

Gus' "block punches with your chin" strategy is going to get himself wrecked by a hitter like rumble...

LOL I've probably never read a more inaccurate synopsis of a fighter. Gus brawls a lot, rushes in with his hands down and uses power to overwhelm opponents?? Are you sure you're thinking of the right guy?

Watch his Shogun, Jones, Cormier, Silva fights (or ANY of his fights)...he uses range and technical, straight punches and counters to get the win. He's by no means a 'power puncher', he relies on combos to put guys away, he rarely (if ever) brawls, and I can't think of a single fight where he's thrown his stance and defense out the window to wing punches like you're making out.

It's crazy how wrong you got that.

I would like to see it too regardless of the outcome of DC/Rumble. Although if Rumble wins I would assume we finally get Rumble/Jones.

Back