Veganism is awesome. Admit it.

What is harder?

• To be a sausage-lover and go vegetarian.

• To be a vegetarian and go vegan.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Srsly? I thought it was the other way around.

When I stopped eating meat I was dreaming of sausages in all colors, shapes, and girths you can imagine. Now it's getting better.

But I could never take my hands off eggs.
Really? Dropping meat from my diet was trivial. But eggs in baking, various sauces derived from animals. Cheese, yogurt. I think that would all make cooking much more difficult.

I'm lactose intolerant, so I was never eating much dairy products anyway.
Eggs are an issue, I agree, especially if you eat a lot outside, but it wasn't as hard for me as giving up on meat.

I like meat. It tastes really good, and I find that the proteins and micronutrients that are accessible via eating meat make me healthier than if I went 100% vegetarian. Plus, vegetarianism is a major inconvenience, as most restaurants and dinners that others make are not conducive to a vegetarian diet. Meat is staying on the menu.

You're right about the inconvenience when eating out. Some restaurants have shit all for veggie options, that's why it's nice to not be strict about it. The wife and I don't eat out a ton anyway so it's not a big deal.

As far as lifting or athletics go my performance doesn't seem to have been effected by a lack of meat, but we do eat pretty good. Lots of nuts, legumes, hemp hearts and stuff like that. That said it's purely anecdotal and it's not like I'm a pro-athlete adhering to a strict lifting plan where I could really benchmark my numbers and correlate results. I lift as I can but I live life too and so many other factors go into performance that it's so hard to pin-point causes. Maybe my sleep schedule is better now, maybe my skill has gone up, who knows? But I haven't seen a drastric, noticable drop anyway.

You're right about the inconvenience when eating out. Some restaurants have shit all for veggie options, that's why it's nice to not be strict about it. The wife and I don't eat out a ton anyway so it's not a big deal.

As far as lifting or athletics go my performance doesn't seem to have been effected by a lack of meat, but we do eat pretty good. Lots of nuts, legumes, hemp hearts and stuff like that. That said it's purely anecdotal and it's not like I'm a pro-athlete adhering to a strict lifting plan where I could really benchmark my numbers and correlate results. I lift as I can but I live life too and so many other factors go into performance that it's so hard to pin-point causes. Maybe my sleep schedule is better now, maybe my skill has gone up, who knows? But I haven't seen a drastric, noticable drop anyway.
Everybody is probably different.
Microbiomes, genetics, other environmental factors and all that
I know people that loss mass from being vegan, or just can't afford (whether because of time or can't afford the effort) of eating enough to keep their progress steady while changing diets.

Everybody is probably different.
Microbiomes, genetics, other environmental factors and all that
I know people that loss mass from being vegan, or just can't afford (whether because of time or can't afford the effort) of eating enough to keep their progress steady while changing diets.

Yeah for sure, I'm always super lean anyway. If you were a bulky strength-athlete then it might be an entirely different story.

The way I look at it is to look at the best athletes in the world. No matter the sport, you'll see virtually no pro athletes eating vegan. Why? Because you are making a sacrifice in exchange for being a vegan. Maybe those differences aren't important to you, so that's fine. Different people have different requirements. And veganism is healthier than stuffing your face full of McDonald's, but those aren't the only two options out there. You can eat a healthy amount of meat, just like you can eat a healthy amount of carbohydrates, and your body will function as it's intended.

The way I look at it is to look at the best athletes in the world. No matter the sport, you'll see virtually no pro athletes eating vegan. Why? Because you are making a sacrifice in exchange for being a vegan. Maybe those differences aren't important to you, so that's fine. Different people have different requirements. And veganism is healthier than stuffing your face full of McDonald's, but those aren't the only two options out there. You can eat a healthy amount of meat, just like you can eat a healthy amount of carbohydrates, and your body will function as it's intended.

Absolutely, I'm sure you can eat some meat and be perfectly healthy. You can probably eat lots of meat and be perfectly healthy as well. I really don't know much about the science, and food science is fucked right now it's impossible to find any definitive answers, and whichever stance you want to take you can find a dozen studies supporting it.

According to google 3.2% of people in the US are vegetarian. Doubtful there would be many from that bunch even trying to go pro. I don't know how statistics work LOL.

But yeah based on general consensus I'm willing to believe some amount of meat-protein is beneficial for an athlete.

I'm on my way to becoming a vegetarian (eventually a vegan), and the hardest thing for me is definitely chicken and sushi. I love both of them, so cutting them out is gonna be hard as hell.

The easiest is definitely beef and pork (ham, sausage, bacon, bbq, steaks, burgers, etc.) are extremely easy for me to cut out of my diet.

Join us!!

<{jackyeah}>

And in regards to ts' question. I was vegetarian and partially vegan for many years. I always thought going fully vegan was a bit too much and i couldn't give up "muh cheese and eggs".

It wasn't until it I became aware that dairy cows and chickens suffer as much as animals slaughtered for meat. When that clicked I felt I had no choice considering my ethical reasons for being vegetarian in the first place.

Each person has their owm ethics and morals. I can't ignore mine so i'm left with no choice but to be Vegan.

I'm still trying to be vegetarian, but considering I don't cook that much I don't make too much effort bc late-night there are no vegetarian options for food that are open and I have to eat. Definitely not vegan and never tried, but maybe one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back