Unsigned Heavyweights - Thread Three

Close! Switch Sergey and Bilyal and that's my rankings.

Yea I think Bilyal has the most talent but clearly he needs experience. He and Pavlovich could both title contenders. Ngannou and Tybura could be contenders as well. East and Michaelsted seem like guys who could crack the top ten but probably don't get past the 8-15 range.

If they sign East and Sergey which are rumored, how would you rank the signings?

Ngannou
Tybura
Bilyal
Sergey
East
Michaelsted
Bojhan
Asker

I'd assume
1. Sergey
2. Bilyal
3. Tybura
4. Ngannou
5. Michaelsted
6. East
7. Asker
8. Bojhan

Who is Michaelsted? I googled the name but couldn't find anything.

Josh “Cuddly Bear” Copeland (11-3) vs Mike “300” Hayes (19-10-2) WSOF29

I like it. Don't think we've really seen much of what Copeland can do and Mike's the right journeyman to show he doesn't have it or give him a chance to rebound.

REAL FC HW tournament semifinals are set (March 12)

Amir Aliakbari vs Christian Colombo
Yuji Sakuragi vs Luis Santos

Aliakbari got the toughest fight? Granted, I know nothing about the other two but Colombo is pretty solid for a MMA rookie to fight....what are the other two like?

Really surprised they didn't try to set up Amir and Colombo for the finals.

Jeff Hughes vs. John Hawk headlines Big Guns 18 on March 19

Jeff Hughes vs. John Hawk headlines Big Guns 18 on March 19

I knew that fight would eventually happen. The top up and comer from Ohio versus the tough regional veteran. I actually kind of favor Hawk, but it will likely be a toss up. If Hughes wins that fight then I think he'd be worth a look from Bellator or WSoF.

Surprised they put the two top seeds against each other in the semi's. If Amir wins that fight then I don't see how anyone can deny he isn't ready for a big promotion.

Heavyweight Match added: Sim Gun-Oh vs Carlos Toyota Road Fc 29

Umiev fighting soon on ACB. Official stream here:

Jesus that was bad... Only caught the last 3 rounds but it looks like rasulov was too much too soon for someone as young in their mma career as umiev.

Who won the other two heavyweight fights?

Yeah, he started slow and continued slow, at 34 I'm not sure how that's going to work out for him in the future. Hopefully next time out he looks better.

Zaurbek Bashaev defeated Alexandre Zaneti by TKO in round 1. Zaneti looked out of shape and totally outmatched. Bashaev looked decent, although he leaves his chin up way too much.

Michał Andryszak demolished Björn Schmiedeberg in the first round and won by TKO. Andryszak just brutally ran through him on the feet and when he dropped, pounded him out on the ground.

This post is dedicated to the heavyweight prototype of the modern prospect scouting era, Guram Gugenishvili. Please see this video posted in honor of his memory. Guram's memorial video.

For previous Unsigned Heavyweights threads, please see the following link: Thread Two

Due to the overall scope of the heavyweight division and the visibility most new prospects receive as opposed to other divisions, I thought it would be interesting to post my personal list of upcoming heavyweights that could eventually make their way into a major promotion.

I've only listed fighters who have never been signed by the UFC, Pride, Strikeforce, or Bellator, with preference to fighters under 35. Factors I've taken into account when profiling fighters are: Age, camp, record, level of opposition, dedication (fight consistency and athleticism), and skill-set.

Please feel free to post your own prospects, and promote discussion of heavyweights outside major organizations in this thread to make it a continuing resource for fans and insiders alike.

1. Curtis Blaydes

Height: 6'4" Weight: 255 Age: 24 Reach: 83" Rec: 4-0

Heavyweight NJCAA wrestling champion Curtis "Razor" Blaydes is a rare find in the heavyweight division. With the same amateur wrestling credentials as former UFC champion Jon Jones, Blaydes is a proven athlete with enormous potential. Blaydes earlier fights were showcased by strong ground and pound courtesy of his wrestling base, however more recent fights have shown Blaydes developing his striking at a rapid pace. Whether his skills will ever match his athleticism is something that will be left for time to tell, and something that we should all be watching for intently.

2. Sergey Pavlovich

Height: 6'3" Weight: 241 Age: 23 Reach: N/A Rec: 6-0

A greco roman wrestler with a masters of sport in army hand to hand combat, Pavlovich has a strong base for both grappling and striking. An oddity in the division, Pavlovich looks like a professional fighter with over a dozen fights when he steps into the ring despite his young age and record. Pavlovich is fast and technical on the feet, utilizing a variety of kicks, jabs, and winging punches to overwhelm his opponents. His ground game is suffocating, and his ability to generate power from odd angles and positions allows him to do damage regardless of where the fight goes. If Pavlovich keeps evolving he could be a top 10 talent in his mid 20's.

3. Amir Aliakbari

Height: 6'6" Weight: 265 Age: 27 Reach: N/A Rec: 2-0

Former Greco-Roman wrestler and worlds gold metal winner Amir Aliakbari holds both the potential to be one of the greatest heavyweight mixed martial artists of all time, or one of the most infamous. While Amir Aliakbari's contentious past is behind him, his long term success relies on it to never recur. As one of the greatest Greco-Roman wrestlers on the planet, Aliakbari's athletic ceiling is as massive as he is. Training at AKA Thailand with Soa Palelei and recently Mark Hunt, Aliakbari has a solid stable of training partners to advance his skill-set, an advantage that will be even greater upon a planned move to ATT in the US.

4. Denis Smoldarev

Height: 6'7" Weight: 265 Age: 25 Reach: N/A Rec: 11-1

Nicknamed Brock Lesnar by his peers due to his similar characteristics, Smoldarev is the largest heavyweight on the list. The comparisons to Lesnar end with appearance however, as Smoldarev hails from a striking background. Smoldarev's striking is powerful and crisp, a feature that is readily apparent in his kicks and knees, but it's his pure physicality that allows him to bully his way into favorable positions whether it be on the ground or on the feet, often causing opponents to relent early in the fight. Smoldarev could be the fighter heralded as the top heavyweight prospect in the near future, however he will need to work on his defensive wrestling and ability to overcome more durable fighters.

5. Denis Goltsov

Height: 6'5" Weight: 232 Age: 25 Reach: N/A Rec: 16-4

An accomplished striker and opportunistic grappler, Goltsov had a rough start to his career, earning 3 submission losses and a TKO to fellow heavyweight Alexander Volkov. Goltsov stands at a very lean 6'5, however despite his thinner frame, he carries explosive one punch knockout power. Goltsov has recently proven his losses were simply growing pains, and has compiled an impressive resume of wins over veterans and prospects alike.

6. Yosef Ali Mohammad

Height: 6'7" Weight: 253 Age: 26 Reach: 82" Rec: 5-2

Lengthy Swedish grappler Yosef Ali Mohammad is an interesting wild card that could end up being one of the best heavyweights to ever come out of Europe. Ali Mohammad is monstrously athletic for his frame and moves like a much lighter fighter. Like most European heavyweights, Ali Mohammad suffers from a lacking wrestling game, and is still obviously new to the techniques and nuances that will allow him to overcome Russian and American adversaries with strong takedowns. His ability to fly around the ring, striking at odd angles and generally doing the things lightweights are capable of makes him dangerous to anyone who can't slow down his attacks. Ali Mohammad also has a good submission game, enabling him some offense when grounded and affording him more options to finish fighters who become overwhelmed by his strikes.

7. Ante Delija

Height: 6'5" Weight: 251 Age: 25 Reach: 80" Rec: 14-3

Delija has experienced ups and downs, and perhaps his only saving grace is his age and ability to improve, whereas an older fighter may see his limit in sight. Delija combines a strong and sometimes wild striking game with brutal top control. Recent fights and a new training camp has given Delija a second breath, as evidenced by his much improved wrestling and submission defense. If Delija can continue to eliminate flaws from his game, he will undoubtedly find a place amongst the heavyweight elite.

8. Smealinho Rama

Height: 6'1" Weight: 227 Age: 23 Reach: 74" Rec: 9-2

One of the most explosive and well rounded heavyweights on this list and also one of the youngest, Rama is an ever evolving fighter that has all the tools to make an impact on the division. Tearing through every notable Canadian heavyweight on the scene, Rama made a name for himself in Alberta's MFC promotion. Rama is versed in every aspect of the game, has excellent hips and movement, and is a natural learner. His skill-set in general is still in its youth, much as he is, and can sometimes see him overwhelmed in facets of the MMA game where others are highly disciplined. However Rama's well roundedness allows him to take the fight where he is comfortable and execute complex gameplans.

9. Cody East

Height: 6'3" Weight: 241 Age: 27 Reach: 76" Rec: 11-1

The less athletic but more skilled of the two East brothers, Cody has shown to be a solid, well rounded fighter with developing cardio. Cody's boxing is the trade he peddles in MMA, and his impressive TKO ratio shows it. Training out of New Mexico, Cody has chances to train at high level camps such as Jackson/Winklejohn. Cody's entrance into a big promotion will largely depend on future victories, as his strength of competition has been an issue in determining his true ability.

10. Karol Bedorf

Height: 6'2" Weight: 258 Age: 32 Reach: 78.5" Rec: 13-2

KSW's talent at heavyweight and BJJ black belt, Bedorf makes the profiles list more-so due to his consistency than any other factor. Bedorf nullifies opponents strengths and works on their weaknesses well, as displayed in his recent fights against aging veterans and journeyman opponents. Bedorf's primary flaws lie within his strength of competition, fighting only mid level heavyweights that will not challenge him to become a better fighter.
Ron Winslow out of MN should be a top heavyweight. Blue Belt in Jiu Jitsu, dangerous Muay Thai skills. Sherdog has his record wrong, he's actually 4-0. 6'2'' 215lbs when he fights at heavyweight. strong and fast.

Back