Unbiased: Mcgregor vs Nurmagomedov

I'm rooting for khabib, but preparing for conor to pull another rabbit out of his ass.

I don't think Conor can finish Khabib as easily as people are thinking.

If he was more confident in his ground skills he should've finished Diaz. IIRC he knocked him down 3 times in their 2nd fight, and each time he didn't want to follow him to the ground and try finish him. With the exception of the Aldo fight, all of his UFC finishes have come from him following his opponent to the ground and landing follow up strikes.

Just like vs Diaz, I can't for the life of me see Conor following Khabib to the ground. Khabib is extremely underrated off of his back + you wouldn't want to risk getting tied up and sweeped with you ending up on bottom. Diaz also wanted to strike with McGregor which obviously gave Conor more chances to land his left.

Conor KO'ing Khabib is a very realistic possibility, but based on it being IMO his only way to win, I gotta favour the fighter who has more ways.

You seem a little biased TS.

To say khabib is the easiest fight is really dumb knowing that khabib won't box with Mcg. Alvarez decided to brawl and he lost, khabib won't do that if he wants to win and Mendez knows that as well.

Explain to me what else was there for Conor to do in MMA? Crush manlets in FW? He did all there is to do there. Fight someone who is NOT the champ at LW? Why do that, when he can fight the champ, especially since Kavanagh said that ring rust is not real (lmao). Move up to WW? He will never hold the belt there with Woodley being champ and would most likely get murked by the top 5-3. No, Conor did not take this fight, because he is confident he'll win. He took this fight, because this is the only fight for him in MMA, at least at this moment.

But does he really need to be fighting at all? He made lots of money and has a really solid legacy already. Getting smashed (potentially) by Khabib is gonna really hurt his aura and could damage his legacy amongst many casual fans.

I'll preface this by saying I am a Khabib fan and I can't stand McGregor. That said, I'll try to be as impartial as possible.

I think this fight is going to be a blow out. It won't be close. The only thing is I'm not 100% sure who will be the hammer and who will be the nail. It's either going to be Khabib taking Conor down and pounding him until the ref stops or it it'll be Khabib failing to get take downs with Conor potshotting him until Khabib goes to sleep. There will be no in between and it will not be a competitive fight. You will know the outcome of this fight within the first 2 minutes.

I'm fairly confident that Khabib gets the TD and pounds Conor out pretty easily but I can see it going Conor's way.

I don't think Conor can finish Khabib as easily as people are thinking.

If he was more confident in his ground skills he should've finished Diaz. IIRC he knocked him down 3 times in their 2nd fight, and each time he didn't want to follow him to the ground and try finish him. With the exception of the Aldo fight, all of his UFC finishes have come from him following his opponent to the ground and landing follow up strikes.

Just like vs Diaz, I can't for the life of me see Conor following Khabib to the ground. Khabib is extremely underrated off of his back + you wouldn't want to risk getting tied up and sweeped with you ending up on bottom. Diaz also wanted to strike with McGregor which obviously gave Conor more chances to land his left.

Conor KO'ing Khabib is a very realistic possibility, but based on it being IMO his only way to win, I gotta favour the fighter who has more ways.

+1 for the analysis but I don't know that it's a valid factor; someone made a similar observation in questioning Conor's confidence on the ground and using the Nate fights as an example. I basically said his whole team/camp may have advised against that because the majority of Nate Diaz's finishes are via submission; and he is tied for the most submissions with Demian Maia. I think Royce Gracie is the only one over them?

On the contrary, Khabib's finish rate via submission is only ~30%, same as his T/KO rate. The threat is still there, but the chance of Conor getting subbed for following him down to the ground is much less than with Diaz.

You seem a little biased TS.

To say khabib is the easiest fight is really dumb knowing that khabib won't box with Mcg. Alvarez decided to brawl and he lost, khabib won't do that if he wants to win and Mendez knows that as well.

Between Ferguson and Holloway, I believe that. Style makes fights and that's my unbiased take on the subject. I could be very wrong, and that's fine.

For the people bringing up the Ragin Al fight. Al does train with some pretty good ground guys. Does Conor have people he trains with that are in that same caliber? Not trolling I'm being serious.

Does anyone else think khabib baited Conor with his performance against Al?

Going less than 100%

Not playing to his usual strengths

Making himself look very beatable in stand up when everyone knows he want to wrestle

He looked like he was trying to look vulnerable to bait Conor into accepting a fight

f Conor can stay in the fight until the championship rounds and can shrug off a few lazy TD attempts by Khabib I can definitely see Khabib getting slept.

You are probably the only person in the world (including Conor fans) that thinks Conor will/can win in the championship rounds lol. If Conor wins, it will be early

Does anyone else think khabib baited Conor with his performance against Al?

Going less than 100%

Not playing to his usual strengths

Making himself look very beatable in stand up when everyone knows he want to wrestle

He looked like he was trying to look vulnerable to bait Conor into accepting a fight

It's certainly not unlikely. If Khabib felt like AI didn't pose any threat to him, even in the standup then it is possible he went out there and just had fun.

McGregor can outclass him from start to finish if the fight doesn't go to the ground, much like he did with Alvarez, this puncher's chance thing is idiotic. You can say the same of Khabib that he only has a wrestling chance.

Whoa...there is no such thing as a "Wrestler's Chance". There is always a small chance some wild unpredictable haymaker will catch someone off guard. No one ever has a lucky take-down and pin.

I don't think height has anything to do resilience to being knocked out. The last time I read about it, we didn't know a whole lot about being unconscious because we don't know a lot about being conscious and consciousness in general.

Anyways. Max Holloway and Nate Diaz probably aren't the best examples of the argument of Conor having difficulty knocking out taller fighters since both Nate and Max have shown time and time again that they possess incredible chins, regardless of their opponent.

As for never being finished, Roy Nelson was never knocked out until he did get knocked out.

I believe height plays a big role because when you have to punch at an upward angle at your opponent's head, the amount of impact you can apply is significantly less than if it was at a downward angle or same level.

I really want McGregor to beat him but I feel it’ll most likely be a Khabib win via submission in the later rounds.

I believe height plays a big role because when you have to punch at an upward angle at your opponent's head, the amount of impact you can apply is significantly less than if it was at a downward angle or same level.

It will only play a role when the height disparity is significant enough. Take the Foreman vs Qawi fight for example. Qawi was significantly shorter than Foreman and opted for a style that similar of Joe Frazier (Philly Shell) which made him fight even "Shorter" Qawi had to adjust his punches for the much taller Foreman, while Big George had to punch down at an angle.

The disparity of height between Conor and Khabib aren't nearly as dramatic.

Back